1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... I'm an Idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 01:38 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
....edit, Im the idiot now! I didn't actually read thru the thread before answering. Where you located?

Old 11-08-2011, 05:00 AM
howsoonisnow1985
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
The kit is good, but for that money all you get is a tune, and intake and muffler (now maybe a header?). But instead you could buy an accessport and be way ahead on cash. With the rest of the money you can buy an aftermarket CAI, exhaust, or FMIC <<---biggest gains in mini's
+1 on the Cobb AP, especially w/custom pro tune like an RMW one. He gets an exhaust too, I think. At least he don't have to buy those mods later and could just save for a dyno tune.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM
tccox
4th Gear
The kit is good, but for that money all you get is a tune, and intake and muffler (now maybe a header?). But instead you could buy an accessport and be way ahead on cash. With the rest of the money you can buy an aftermarket CAI, exhaust, or FMIC <<---biggest gains in mini's

True, but aftermarket kit equals no warranty and that meant a whole lot to me. So I spend the money to get the JCW kit and am extreamly happy with it and the fact I have full factory warranty. Now, if I bought a used MINI out of warrenty I'd go the aftermarket route. Read some of the threads on this board about engines blowing and MINI denying warranty because a non MINI tune had been installed.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:26 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
....edit, Im the idiot now! I didn't actually read thru the thread before answering. Where you located?
I'm in Hartford, CT.

Eventually, I might tune it a little, but I'm going to wait a few years until my warranty is almost up. I've never had a European car before and I know they're not immune from electrical issues, so I'll save my warranty for that...and the brakes.

Having said that, there are little mods I'm going to make, like aftermarket rally lights, O.Z. Wheels, Summer performance tires (not runflats), maybe a back up camera that has the monitor integrated into the rear view mirror.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
I snapped a few pics with my iphone this morning-

Old 11-11-2011, 10:07 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
oops, double post.

Last edited by The Rossness; 11-12-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:36 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
I liked it both times!

Dave

Old 11-12-2011, 10:42 PM
IceBluesCat
1st Gear
I have to admit that chocolate interior is nice with the British Racing Green.

I have to get a replacement vehicle. My old ride, a 2003 PT Cruiser was totaled last week. Are there tax breaks for that? O financial MINI gurus?

This is my first car. Yeah, yeah, I'm 50 years young. But I drove my mother's old car before I was married 30 years ago, and my ex picked out the PT. I have been looking at and pricing and drooling over MINIs 'lo these many years. Someday.

Well someday happens Tuesday. I too, am getting a Clubman S IceBlue/Silver roof with the auto tranny. I live in the Mojave desert, so I wanted either a light color allover or the silver roof option. I would have been happy with justa Clubman, but can't say I'm not looking forward to the S.

Didn't have time to order and do the whole boat-tracking thing because I only get so many days of rental car benefits from my insurance. But I'm happy with what was available here in SoCal. Aside from the S I am getting the bluetooth option I knew I wanted. I am not getting the Navigation package I didn't want. Not too many options other than that, except for seat warmers??? Don't know if it's just seat warmers or the entire Cold Weather package. Before I sign on the dotted line, I will try and haggle either getting the option for free or a greatly reduced price since I don't want it and it's not needed 9 months out of the year here.

Anyone here have luck making similar arguments to dealers?

I know many folks here go straight to ordering. I'm actually happier not ordering. The "build your MINI" area of the MINI site seems to quickly go from the low 20's to the mid to high 30's when I'm doing the choosing. I don't know why, it's not like I WANTED all those color and trim combinations, honest!!! My inner child has a mind of its own, clearly.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 AM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by IceBluesCat
I have to admit that chocolate interior is nice with the British Racing Green.

I have to get a replacement vehicle. My old ride, a 2003 PT Cruiser was totaled last week. Are there tax breaks for that? O financial MINI gurus?

This is my first car. Yeah, yeah, I'm 50 years young. But I drove my mother's old car before I was married 30 years ago, and my ex picked out the PT. I have been looking at and pricing and drooling over MINIs 'lo these many years. Someday.

Well someday happens Tuesday. I too, am getting a Clubman S IceBlue/Silver roof with the auto tranny. I live in the Mojave desert, so I wanted either a light color allover or the silver roof option. I would have been happy with justa Clubman, but can't say I'm not looking forward to the S.

Didn't have time to order and do the whole boat-tracking thing because I only get so many days of rental car benefits from my insurance. But I'm happy with what was available here in SoCal. Aside from the S I am getting the bluetooth option I knew I wanted. I am not getting the Navigation package I didn't want. Not too many options other than that, except for seat warmers??? Don't know if it's just seat warmers or the entire Cold Weather package. Before I sign on the dotted line, I will try and haggle either getting the option for free or a greatly reduced price since I don't want it and it's not needed 9 months out of the year here.

Anyone here have luck making similar arguments to dealers?

I know many folks here go straight to ordering. I'm actually happier not ordering. The "build your MINI" area of the MINI site seems to quickly go from the low 20's to the mid to high 30's when I'm doing the choosing. I don't know why, it's not like I WANTED all those color and trim combinations, honest!!! My inner child has a mind of its own, clearly.
Well the point of the MINI is that it truly embodies the idea of "to each his (or her) own", so not waiting on an order is no big deal and certainly gets you into your car faster.

I don't believe there is any tax break after the last car was totaled. The tax break that had been mentioned in earlier posts exists on trade-ins. When you trade in a vehicle for a new car, you only pay tax on the difference in price. It's kind of sad, but I think the totaled car will actually net fewer breaks since it may not be possible to swap license plates and not need to re-register (savings of only a few hundred bucks but still something). As for not needing on option that the car already has is another story. This will probably work to an extent since you are buying a car off the lot and the dealer is interested in moving it fast. I'd certainly try the argument since it can't hurt.

Best of luck with the purchase!

Old 11-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Mathen001
1st Gear
What does it cost to do the hot laps? kinda wanting to, just for the 'i did it' factor

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
On the tax break portion, actually you do get a break as when the insurance company "purchases" your car they are required to give you the value + the sales tax to enable you to buy the same vehicle at that time. So if they stated that the value was $3000 they would give you (assume sales tax is 8%) $3240. So if you are purchasing a vehicle for 25000 you would still pay tax on that but you already have 3240 (instead of the 3000) to put down.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:43 AM
IceBluesCat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mrluckypa
On the tax break portion, actually you do get a break as when the insurance company "purchases" your car they are required to give you the value + the sales tax to enable you to buy the same vehicle at that time. So if they stated that the value was $3000 they would give you (assume sales tax is 8%) $3240. So if you are purchasing a vehicle for 25000 you would still pay tax on that but you already have 3240 (instead of the 3000) to put down.
Okay. That makes sense. I was wondering why they put the tax and DMV numbers into the equation. That probably won't make a difference at purachase time, since I'm putting part of the check from the insurance down and financing the rest. But it did manage to cancel out my insurance deductible quite nicely.

Plus, I can take that sales tax that I paid for the purchase off next year's taxes also.

Ahhhhh who cares??? I'm getting a MINI. 'nuff said.