1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So... I'm an Idiot.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
The Rossness
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So... I'm an Idiot.

Howdy Mini crew-

So, I think I might be an idiot. That's a strange way to introduce one's self, but hear me out.

In February of 2010 I started my search for a new car. Basically, I wanted the fastest, most fun sports car I could find that had a large trunk and was affordable. I drove just about everything under the sun and in June of this year, I ended up getting a Subaru WRX STI Limited. Basically, It's a top of the line subaru WRX STI with all the bells and whistles.

I forgot to take into account a few things. First and foremost should be the transmission and my health battling one another for ultimate supremacy. I was born with numerous foot, ankle and muscle problems and while I like to drive stick, the clutch in combination with my foot stretching, puts me in a ton of pain. (I've had various surgeries and nothing has helped) I should have gotten an auto tranny, but when I was looking for cars, I never considered one as I have more control and fun when driving stick.

When I bought the WRX, I could only afford it by the skin of my teeth. The way I drive it, I'm getting 12 MPG combined. I can't afford the gas and the daily trips to the gas station spending $50 to fill up my car. The insurance premium isn't fun either.

So, while I like the drive of the car (It's extremely fast and has tenacious grip on everything) I can't afford the car and it's painful to drive. I realized about a week ago that I'm not going to be able to keep the car for as long as I had planned.

That said, I owe about $12k on the car and need to find some way to pay it off quicker than I had planned in order to sell it. So, Why the heck am I posting this on a site dedicated to Mini's?

After realizing how stupid what I did was, I started thinking about cars I could afford that offered both sport, practicality and a better cost to own. Today I went to my local auto dealer strip and tried 2 cars. The first was a VW GTI. It had great seats and the DSG tranny was neat, but it left me wanting something that I couldn't put my finger upon. Next, I drove a Mini Clubman S and just about fell in love with it. It's nowhere near as fast as my Subaru, but It seemed more fun and the tiptronic gearbox seemed to deliver torque to the wheels better than what I was expecting.

So, now I'm stuck with a car I can't afford and want the Clubman S very badly. I won't be able to drive it as fast, but maybe that is a blessing in disguise that will save me from getting my license suspended from going at ludicrous speed in the STI.

I do have a few questions about the Mini and was hoping I could get some answers.

1- While the automatic transmission cancels out the JCW version of the car, apparently there is a costly JCW tuning kit available. Does the kit make that much of a difference?

2- Do you find the seats to be supportive enough to provide comfort and lumbar support on long trips? Is the car comfortable enough to take on long 4+ hour drives and road trips?

3- During extremely aggressive driving, what kind of MPG do you get?

4- Are there any reoccurring problems that mini's have? Are they reliable? I know someone who had an old TVR. His was built with British ingenuity and massive electrical problems. The mini doesn't have the british electrical problems of yore, does it?

5- Is anyone interested in buying a 2011 Subaru WRX STI limited with about 4000 miles on it? [Sorry, I had to ask ]

If I do find a way to pay off my Subaru, sell it, and get a mini, maybe I'll be less of an Idiot.

Last edited by The Rossness; 08-06-2011 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
ronkoe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're not an idiot!

That WRX is cool. But fast is not better as you now know. I enjoy OH6, my Cooper S, at any speed. But I push 'er sometimes, and she can handle it.
Your answer to Question one...I don't know. #2...I drove 16 hours straight to Chicago and I was comfortable...except for the runflats which I plan to replace with Continental- ExtremeContact DWS. #3...never figured it out. I don't take it on a racetrack, so, when I do slam it, it's not for long periods of time. Suppose I average between 26-31 MPG. #4.... I've had OH6 a year and a half now. Bought it 4 years old with about 32000 miles on it. No problems! #5...Enjoy your WRX until you sell it. You're young and you'll get your Mini. I got mine at 60. And it is a blast! It's worth the wait.

Last edited by ronkoe; 08-06-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: word spelled wrong
Old 08-06-2011, 11:24 PM
minikari
2nd Gear
I feel you. Trading in my 2010 impreza 2.5i premium for a countryman...new subies blow and get horrible gas mileage!

Old 08-08-2011, 08:33 AM
NetraLee
1st Gear
The Clubman

I have Rupert, an 09 JCW Clubman. Having an absolute love affair with this vehicle, which may be the last stick I'll ever drive due to 3 spine surgeries, no feeling in right leg/foot, etc., etc.

Recently drove Rupert from WI to Colorado and back. Very comfortable, although I did take precautions - took along back brace, back stretcher, etc., did a lot of walking, but I was able to drive all the way. Rupert has heated seats, but does not have the lumbar support, which I think would be a good addition in your case - try it out first.

The practicality of the Clubman is fantastic. We got 38mpg on the trip to CO; on the Needles Hwy, it dropped to maybe 28. The lowest I get when I "play" is about 26mpg. Has all original equipment, although I did recently add the "ornamental" spoiler.

I would also recommend you get the Harmon Kardon stereo, but only if you get the bluetooth as well. Not much good to have good jams if they don't stop when the phone rings!

We have under 30k mileage, but so far, no issues with this ride. I feel it is well made, etc. Consumer Reports did not like the '08 Clubman, but since then it has received good reviews, being knocked mostly for the premium fuel requirement.

I had looked at Subys and VWs, too, and all were of great quality - it is the unique factor, the "only one around" that made the Mini the only choice.

I garage mine in the winter, but have heard it does very well in the snow.

Be patient ... the right buyer will come along for your current ride. Don't rush and sell it to someone who won't pay for it. And maybe consider taking less, if possible, if your Mini need is that urgent. Speak with locals, see where/how the best sites are or events for selling your ride.

Best of luck - I'm hoping to finish my garage with the Countryman and now the Coupe. But that's just a dream I have.

NetraLee

Old 08-08-2011, 11:28 AM
The Rossness
1st Gear
I shopped my car around a few subaru dealers today and the best buy-back offer I got was $33,500. Considering I paid $36k for the car, that's not bad at all and I'm thinking of taking it. As I have my clubman configured, It lists for about $36,500. How much should I actually pay for one. Can I get any money off the MSRP if I custom order one new?

Old 08-08-2011, 02:54 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If the GTI is large enough for you, I would look at it again. The GTI feels different than the Mini. To me the Mini is more fun to drive but the GTI is just as fast. The GTI seats (Recaro) are much better than the Mini seats. Since you need an Auto, the GTI DSG is much better than the Mini Auto. The GTI is a lot cheaper than a Mini. I think the 2011 GTIs with DSG start at about $25,000 and max option out at about $31,000. You can get the GTI in a two or four door.

I have a Mini but my son has a GTI so we have done a lot of comparing.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:06 PM
minikari
2nd Gear
Take it! That's a good buy back option. I custom ordered my mini and got over $1000 off msrp and $2000 more for my trade in that they wanted to give me.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:39 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
Often, MINI dealers have promotions to move cars already on the lot. I got my Clubman S for a few thousand dollars cheaper than the one I designed on MINI's website and it had more options than the one I would have had to order.

You can get an aftermarket tune for MINIs,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rt-thread.html

Though they are still working on cracking the engine control unit for the 2011 models.

I have the standard seats in my MINI, and they are the most supportive seats I've had in a car. I have read posts here in which people complain about them, I guess it all depends on the shape of your butt.

I worst mileage I've got was 24 mpg, that was me roaring around in sport mode for a tank of gas.

As for recurring problems,

There have been timing chain tensioner issues, but I haven't heard of any in 2011 cars. There is a recurring problem with carbon buildup on the intake valves, that requires removal of the intake manifold and media blasting the intake ports, at around 30,000 miles, it is a problem with many cars with direct injection, because the oil from the PCV system isn't washed off like it is in cars with port injection engines. There is a redesigned head on 2011 MINIs, maybe the carbon buildup problem has been resolved, only time will tell on that one.

Dave

Old 08-09-2011, 07:44 PM
ronkoe
Neutral
Sounds like a deal to me. As far as buying a new car goes...I don't do new. I bought my Cooper S loaded, 4 years old at 32000 miles. It came with a 2 year Mini Next Warranty. Got it for $17,900.00. The previous owner took great car of 'er. That same car, would have cost me about 29-30 thousand $. But I'm 60 years old and I don't need the most up to date this and that. You're young and if you need new, go for it. Oh, and I didn't buy the Mini for speed. I bought 'er for fun. It's just a blast to drive! Slow, fast, or even sittin' still. Whatever you decide...happy motoring! Ron

Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 AM
The Rossness
1st Gear
After debating it for a few months, I finally ordered my mini Clubman S yesterday. It's going to be kind of weird going from a Subaru STI, which is my current ride into a JCW. but from what I've heard, I think it will be a fun car. As far as options, here is what I've ordered-

2012 MINI Clubman S
Auto tranny
Sports suspension
DSC
Xenon headlights in a black headlight housing
Sunroof
Tech package w/ nav
JCW tuning Kit
16 inch black wheels (I'll throw some snow tires on the stock rims)
Roof Rack
Yellow mirror caps

British Racing Green II exterior/ a black roof
Hot Chocolate lounge leather interior
Beige door panels
Red leather accents
JCW Carbon Fiber dashboard
those silver circular door finishers

In the meantime, I have to sell off my Subaru WRX STI to fund the MINI purchase.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:57 PM
ronkoe
Neutral
Cool! Sounds great. I wanted a Clubman, but after I tore around the sales lot a couple times with the 6-speed manual Getrag trans. I was sold. OH6 is still a blast! Most entertaining car I've ever driven. You'll enjoy your Clubman more then ya know. Happy for ya.

Old 10-03-2011, 04:12 AM
tccox
4th Gear
Congrats, sounds like you're getting a great car.
As far as the GTI, well I went and test drove one about three weeks ago and you're right, there's just something missing. The Coops just plain more fun,

The JCW Tune kit ???? i just picked my MCS up Friday after having the kit installed.. Is it worth the money ????? My brain tells me no but my heart tells me yes. The sound is awesome, the performance is definitely improved but its not a WOW type of improvement. Biggest improvement I noted is car has more "Grunt" now. on the way home on the UNC Charlotte High Speed Test track you put your foot in it at 70 and it really pulls hard.
Anyway, you'll love your Mini

Last edited by tccox; 10-03-2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 AM
pgrzes
2nd Gear
Dont forget the tax implications when selling your car as apposed to trading. if you sell for 33,500 or get 31,500 on a trade is about the same depending on your sales tax rate!!!!

Old 10-03-2011, 12:55 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pgrzes
Dont forget the tax implications when selling your car as apposed to trading. if you sell for 33,500 or get 31,500 on a trade is about the same depending on your sales tax rate!!!!
I was thinking the same thing. Usually when you trade in a car you only pay tax on the difference between your trade value and the new car value. Just something to consider.

Also, you might want to consider a plate transfer/registration transfer in lieu of starting all over. Saves some more money.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Can someone explain this tax thing? I'm not sure I'm understanding it. Are we talking about sales tax here? Is it that the trade is deducted from the sale price of the new car and you only pay sales tax on the difference? I'm leasing my Mini so it may not be much of an issue for me if I'm understanding it correctly.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
You are correct. And I believe they figure tax on a lease based upon the difference between the sale price and the residual value, though that may not be the case any longer and that may vary from state to state.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:31 AM
NinerfanWI
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you lease a car you pay sales tax on the monthly payment, at least in Wisconsin. Sales tax laws are all state laws so they'll vary. Some states have eliminated the sales tax benefit of trading a car in, for obvious reasons.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:35 AM
RallyCat
2nd Gear
For what it's worth, my husband just replaced his 2005 STi with a 2011 MCS about a month ago and LOVES it! Sure, he was sad to see Veronica (the STi) go, but he's absolutely LOVING Lucy

Old 10-05-2011, 07:03 AM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
and to think that I was that close to buying a Subaru!!!!

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rossness - I know just what you mean!!!!

I bought my 2009 factory JCW back in 2008 without thinking my right hip and back pain would get worse as time goes on. The six speed manual is really hard on me at certain times.

I love my JCW Soooooo much that I really hate to trade it in on a non-JCW automatic but will probably have to in the future.

I'm 68 years young and I have had many,many cars in my life and I'm willing to say that this is the absolute best car I have ever owned. It is fun to drive, fast, handles excellent, easy to get into and out of and looks great. I did put Michelin non-runflat Exalta PE'2 tires on it.

I just took a trip from my home in Daytona up to Elkton Maryland with my dog Mario and it is still a very comfortable drive, Even with the sport suspension option. This is our third year and the last trip was just as much fun as the first.The total MPG for the whole trip was 34.108MPG witch included driving around while up there. My best was 36.28MPG and worst was 31.205MPG.

I have run hot laps with this car on Daytona Speedway and it was more fun then anything you could imagine.

I really think you will fall in love with your Mini and actually have enough $$$ at the end of the month to enjoy a cup of starbucks coffee.

********Mario riding in style in "HIS" Mini JCW********************

Picture is in Victory lane but I really did not win a race. We just did Hot Laps around the road course. Cost Mucho$$$$$ but well worth it.

If I do ever trade my car for an automatic I probably will get the JCW engine performance kit installed.

Last edited by ronnie948; 10-05-2011 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Add Phot
Old 10-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Ronnie, that's kick-***, going on the track like that!

Elkton MD is near where my grandparents used to live in Newark DE.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm originaly From Delaware

I moved to Daytona Beach in 1978 but I still have friends that I visit at least once a year. I can't believe how much it has grown. I lived in the Wellington Arms Apartments in Newark in 1968. They are torn down now. I bought a House in Redmont (between Stanton and Newport) and sold it in 1978 and moved to Florida. (Divorced) or should I say ("FREE AT LAST"") I've been here ever since. I like going up for a visit but I sure don't want to live up there at all.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM
The Rossness
1st Gear
So, I got a pretty good deal on my STI as a trade and I'm going to trade it in to save on taxes. The mini dealer has my car. It looks awesome and the interior is WILD! I should be picking it up later this week and I'll post pics when I get it.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Bigprfed22
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i woulda ran your sti and made you feel better about the "Potential" of your purchase

Originally Posted by The Rossness
So, I got a pretty good deal on my STI as a trade and I'm going to trade it in to save on taxes. The mini dealer has my car. It looks awesome and the interior is WILD! I should be picking it up later this week and I'll post pics when I get it.

Last edited by Bigprfed22; 11-07-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
1- While the automatic transmission cancels out the JCW version of the car, apparently there is a costly JCW tuning kit available. Does the kit make that much of a difference?
The kit is good, but for that money all you get is a tune, and intake and muffler (now maybe a header?). But instead you could buy an accessport and be way ahead on cash. With the rest of the money you can buy an aftermarket CAI, exhaust, or FMIC <<---biggest gains in mini's
2- Do you find the seats to be supportive enough to provide comfort and lumbar support on long trips? Is the car comfortable enough to take on long 4+ hour drives and road trips?
The sport seats are great. The have bolsters than are great when driving, but you might want an extra lumbar addition for HUGE trips
3- During extremely aggressive driving, what kind of MPG do you get?
combined, i get 30. And that's a JCW under the foot of a 19year old.
4- Are there any reoccurring problems that mini's have? Are they reliable? I know someone who had an old TVR. His was built with British ingenuity and massive electrical problems. The mini doesn't have the british electrical problems of yore, does it?
There have some problems with clutches, and other little things. HPFP and chain tensioners too, but those normally get covered by warranty.
5- Is anyone interested in buying a 2011 Subaru WRX STI limited with about 4000 miles on it? [Sorry, I had to ask
I WISH!
If I do find a way to pay off my Subaru, sell it, and get a mini, maybe I'll be less of an Idiot.
yes.

Quick Reply: So... I'm an Idiot.