1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 AM
jgrave4
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible new owner

I realize theres a search button on this forum, but I've been reading this site in the build up to possibly buying a mini S. I want to get a new car before next August. I googled a 2013 mini cooper and found that the new body style should be around then. Whats the general consensus on this?

If their is no new body style I still will get a Mini S, but I think Im going to wait until they would announce the 2013 mini, changed or not.

When would they announce it if they were going to?

Old 09-08-2011, 11:56 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrave4
When would they announce it if they were going to?
The F56 (3rd-Gen) platform is coming, but dates seem to float.
You'll want to flag this URL and watch it for any upcoming details:
* http://www.motoringfile.com/section/f56/

- Erik

Old 09-08-2011, 01:59 PM
jgrave4
Neutral
besides using the search button, do you know of any graphs, data, or customer reviews of the different years and miles? I would buy the current gen if its out next year. I just constantly hear horror stories about them constantly needing to be worked on. I average around 30k miles a year and my current car has 240,000 miles on it. I would wnat the mini to last that long too

Old 09-08-2011, 03:42 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
I thought about waiting for the '13 model. But I figure the 2011-12's are the best refined models and the all new 2013 may need several fixes after a few years.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:58 PM
bluefox280
6th Gear
besides using the search button, do you know of any graphs, data, or customer reviews of the different years and miles?
Other than Consumer Reports and Edmounds, you'll find more pertinent information on NAM, Mini2, and other forum boards.

I would buy the current gen if its out next year.
The 2012 model will stil be a 2nd-Gen.
The 2013 model will be the 3rd-Gen (F5x platform).

I just constantly hear horror stories about them constantly needing to be worked on.
If you're worried about only longevity or getting strictly from point A to point B, I'd relook at your vehicle purchase.
There are horror stories of failures, breakages, and catasrophies, but A LOT stems from people not paying attention to good preventative maintenance.

For instance, you should not follow MINI's long interval oil change interval; it's simply denies the car of good clean oil.
Second, make sure the oil is up to level at all times; low oil has resulted in several failures including vacuum pump siezure, turbocharger shafts shearing, and timing chain dropage.

I average around 30k miles a year and my current car has 240,000 miles on it. I would wnat the mini to last that long too
What's your current car? Are you able to handle small quircks of a English derived, German vehicle?

- Erik

Old 09-08-2011, 11:30 PM
jgrave4
Neutral
Originally Posted by bluefox280
If you're worried about only longevity or getting strictly from point A to point B, I'd relook at your vehicle purchase.
There are horror stories of failures, breakages, and catasrophies, but A LOT stems from people not paying attention to good preventative maintenance.

For instance, you should not follow MINI's long interval oil change interval; it's simply denies the car of good clean oil.
Second, make sure the oil is up to level at all times; low oil has resulted in several failures including vacuum pump siezure, turbocharger shafts shearing, and timing chain dropage.

What's your current car? Are you able to handle small quircks of a English derived, German vehicle?

- Erik
I do care about the longevity of my car, but Ive also owned a car with that specific purpose. I average around 30k miles a year and keep track of mileage religiously. I average around 28.5 total. I am sick of my econo box and want something quick, with a big sunroof, front wheel drive, heated seats, hatchback, and preferably auto..

At the dealership they said I could go 15-20k miles in between oil changes, I was already sold on the car way before this, but this interested me. What miles would you say are more accurate? Is there a way, without having to go under the hood, of measuring the level of oil?

My current car is a 2004 Honda Civic Ex that I bought new when I was 16 and completely own. In the last year Ive put in about 2000 a year on irregular work on the car, let alone maintenance that comes with the mileage. Im good financially with keeping up with my cars needs and Ive always done it with my civic. I am just ready for something new, but dont want to go flat broke by constantly fixing it

I love this car, but Im tempted by the GTI which has similar specs, I just havent driven it yet. The mini just drives so perfectly and has every feature I want. I just hear of people getting upset with them

Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM
jgrave4
Neutral
Originally Posted by bluefox280

- Erik
I do care about the longevity of my car, but Ive also owned a car with that specific purpose. I average around 30k miles a year and keep track of mileage religiously. I average around 28.5 total. I am sick of my econo box and want something quick, with a big sunroof, front wheel drive, heated seats, hatchback, and preferably auto..

At the dealership they said I could go 15-20k miles in between oil changes, I was already sold on the car way before this, but this interested me. What miles would you say are more accurate? Is there a way, without having to go under the hood, of measuring the level of oil?

My current car is a 2004 Honda Civic Ex that I bought new when I was 16 and completely own. In the last year Ive put in about 2000 a year on irregular work on the car, let alone maintenance that comes with the mileage. Im good financially with keeping up with my cars needs and Ive always done it with my civic. I am just ready for something new, but dont want to go flat broke by constantly fixing it

I love this car, but Im tempted by the GTI which has similar specs, I just havent driven it yet. The mini just drives so perfectly and has every feature I want. I just hear of people getting upset with them

Old 09-09-2011, 11:54 AM
bluefox280
6th Gear
I am sick of my econo box and want something quick, with a big sunroof, front wheel drive, heated seats, hatchback, and preferably auto..
What else have you looked at for comparison?

That 15K-20K interval is a horrible lie; the engine cannot withstand such a long heavy use on a oil that has to suspend particles and keep so many vital parts (like bearings) in top shape. You're looking more at a 5K-7K real-world interval for when you should change your oil on the MINI. The mechanical oil dipstick is the ONLY way to determine proper oil crankcase level.

I am just ready for something new, but dont want to go flat broke by constantly fixing it
Going from a Honda model to anything in the european route is going to give you a heart-attack on prices on parts, maintenance, and the like. My wife did this some 4 years ago, and notices a serious hike in ownership cost. Now, does she prefer her European car over the Civic she had? Yes, but she also recognizes there's a upscale in cost involved to enjoy such.

The mini just drives so perfectly and has every feature I want. I just hear of people getting upset with them
Correct, because of the nuances that come along with the MINI. There's been complaints anywhere to the sunroof and windows sticking, to random Check Engine Lights (CELs) to engine destruction due to lack of knowledge. In the end, it is your call to determine if a car that has some 'quirks' is with your a.) time, b.) effort, and c.) enjoyment for such.

Yes, there are horror stories, but you probably want to see past the glitter and bliss of the driving of the MINI and be aware that a proactive owner will be required of you. Because you may need to bend-over backwards for your car and not the other way around like the Honda does / did for you.

- Erik

Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 PM
jgrave4
Neutral
Very useful posts man, I really appreciate it. The only other car Ive "looked in to" was the GTI. But I havent driven it yet, just noticed it has similar specs to the mini (but no big sunroof). Theirs a bmw, mercedes, vw, and mini mechanic less than a half mile from my house that says the amount of maintenance required for a mini is high, but the car itself is solid and the most fun I can have for under 30k

Old 09-09-2011, 01:23 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
My sister has a GTI and loves it. I have driven it and the GTI is a very good car. But compared to the Mini, it just didn't ring my bell. And I ALWAYS grin when I drive the MINI!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:55 PM
jgrave4
Neutral
How do you feel about the convertible? Any issues related to it?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:15 AM
Bubble and Squeak
4th Gear
I have ordered a 2012 Mini Convert.

Before I pulled the trigger, I went into my MINI dealership (second visit) and asked to borrow the convertible (S) on the lot for a few hours. I drove it from Sterling VA (Mini of Sterling) to my house in Harpers Ferry WV. Picked up my other half, and drove it back. On the way back I took a few of the great mountain roads we have in this part of the world, the whole time, top down 85 degrees.

What did I learn? I need a pair of sunglasses, and that for the last 20 years I have NOT BEEN DRIVING, only RIDING in a car.... and DONE, my car is on order.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:52 AM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
Major Issues with Convertible:

1. Sunscreen must be kept in vehicle. You have so much fun driving that you do not realize how much sun you are getting! Sunglasses and a fitted ball cap is necessary too!

2. I haven't ridden my motorcycle in a year. It is now for sale. And that after being a lifetime rider. I enjoy the convertible and the cornering that much!

3. Must keep top up when driving to a more formal event (wife's hair). But we ALWAYS drive home with the top down!

4. Helpful to have the heated seats option on cold days/nights.

5. Thank God for the windshield or I would bugs in my teeth from grinning ear to ear!

And for what I think was your real question: No, we have not had any issues with the convertible. Just wish I would have had one sooner.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
gawannamini
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do you feel about the convertible? Any issues related to it?
I have an '09 MCS convertible - the most fun car I have ever owned. Drop the top and listen to the exhaust purr. Seat heat is wonderful and extends top down season. I sold my BMW convertible for the MINI and although I loved my 323 BMW- the MINI is more fun.