1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to NAM, looking to buy my first MINI

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:49 AM
jmerten
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to NAM, looking to buy my first MINI

Hey all, i'm one of those new guys on the forums and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a college student up in New York and since i'm getting a handsome $40,000 starter loan in January, i'm looking to buy my first car. My friend had a MINI when i was in high school and they've always peaked my interest, so my sights are now fixed on getting one.

My real problem right now is whether to get the MINI Hardtop or the MINI Countryman. When i graduate in 2 years, i will likely have a bunch of stuff to move from my college which is why i like the space of the Countryman. But from what i hear, you basically want to get the Countryman S because the engine is a little weak for such a heavy car.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM
mephikristiles
1st Gear
Not sure about the Countryman, but I had a good experience with a loaner Clubman while my MCS was in the shop. I wasn't wild about the rear field of vision, but the Clubman S handled well, had plenty of stock oomph, and had comparable (probably better) gas mileage to my older model car. And it was roomy enough to accommodate my mountain bike, luggage, and archaeology field equipment (buckets, shovels, and screens) with the seats down.
Good luck!

Old 09-11-2011, 04:49 PM
jmerten
Neutral
Originally Posted by mephikristiles
Not sure about the Countryman, but I had a good experience with a loaner Clubman while my MCS was in the shop. I wasn't wild about the rear field of vision, but the Clubman S handled well, had plenty of stock oomph, and had comparable (probably better) gas mileage to my older model car. And it was roomy enough to accommodate my mountain bike, luggage, and archaeology field equipment (buckets, shovels, and screens) with the seats down.
Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! I'm looking at the Clubman as an alternative to the Countryman for the extra cargo space. I've heard there's some quality control issues with the Countryman right now, so maybe getting a new, more solid MINI is the way to go (a model that they've scrubbed all of the bugs out of). At the same time, the styling of the Countryman is so good that i keep coming back to it.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:30 PM
oldsbear
6th Gear
If you will have a lot to move, you might consider renting a cargo van. That's the choice I made when deciding to buy the hardtop S. Renting a pickup seemed like a better choice than buying a vehicle I didn't really want, for the occasional 4 x 8 of plywood.

None of the MINIs has a lot of cargo room. That said, our 2009 Clubman was great for transporting small and delicate articles when we moved.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:48 AM
jmerten
Neutral
Originally Posted by oldsbear
If you will have a lot to move, you might consider renting a cargo van. That's the choice I made when deciding to buy the hardtop S. Renting a pickup seemed like a better choice than buying a vehicle I didn't really want, for the occasional 4 x 8 of plywood.

None of the MINIs has a lot of cargo room. That said, our 2009 Clubman was great for transporting small and delicate articles when we moved.
Thank you for re-opening my eyes to the renting mindset. Moving from West Point shouldn't be that big of a move as i usually travel pretty light (a couple bags and a bike). It's once i move from duty station to duty station that i will likely have to move a lot more stuff, so renting a Uhaul and a trailer for the MC would be a better choice.