1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troublesome little cars... 2002 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Eiji
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Troublesome little cars... 2002 MCS

Hi all,

I've been lurking for awhile looking for the fixes to the many little gremlins our 2002 MCS has had.

Since we bought her we've replaced the clutch & flywheel, air con compressor, power steering pump and power steering fan.

We're still faced with some air con issues working and growling intermittently right now!

It's not all bad times. She's come on some long road trips, a track day and a photoshoot. When she works it's all smiles.

Here's a pic:

Attached Thumbnails Troublesome little cars... 2002 MCS-img_5469.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 05:55 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They can be but you also have a 9 year old MINI there, parts do wear out.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:29 PM
Brisby
3rd Gear
Welcome! Good to see another 02 MCS!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 PM
Eiji
Neutral
Originally Posted by daflake
They can be but you also have a 9 year old MINI there, parts do wear out.
Originally Posted by Brisby
Welcome! Good to see another 02 MCS!
Thanks for the warm welcome!

The clutch and flywheel are parts I can understand that will wear out in a decade. But I thought the other bits like the power steering (other than the fluid) and air con (other than the gas) would out-last the car.

They are common problems from what gather so as long as the fixes buy me another 10 years before they fail I won't complain

Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a really clean looking '02, nice work!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM
XXLil MickXX
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your car looks great btw

The good news is, you have fixed the majority of the most common issues..

I bought an 06 with 33k miles and at 51k nothing has broken. It had an oil leak when I bought it but was still under warranty at the time.

Enjoy it! If anything, the brakes and suspension could probably use replacing then you are set

My ac has always growled when it's turned on or off. that part is "normal".

Old 10-19-2011, 10:49 PM
Eiji
Neutral
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
That's a really clean looking '02, nice work!
Originally Posted by XXLil MickXX
your car looks great btw

The good news is, you have fixed the majority of the most common issues..

I bought an 06 with 33k miles and at 51k nothing has broken. It had an oil leak when I bought it but was still under warranty at the time.

Enjoy it! If anything, the brakes and suspension could probably use replacing then you are set

My ac has always growled when it's turned on or off. that part is "normal".
Thanks ... Anyone else have trouble keeping the rear hatch clean when it rains? They love to kick dust all over themselves.... Is there any good rear mud guards out there?

Fingers crossed its smooth sailing from here. I can't comment what the car was like at 51k miles (82k km) because we got the car with 97k km and the troubles were already evident at time of sale but we loved the car enough to get it anyway haha

As for brakes, she's just got herself a full set of Ferodo DS3500 pads with DBA rotors all round. I think it's a little bit overkill but it'll be my wife piloting her at the next track day so better safe than sorry.

With the AC growl, I read the 2nd gens got a TSB released about a dampener that can get installed on the AC line to reduce the growling noise. I'm started a thread (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4-01-10-a.html) on it but no one's commented yet.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:54 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to NAM - great looking MINI you have!

The problem with the dirty rear hatch is endemic to MINI, and mud flaps won't really help the issue. The reason for the "dirty boot" syndrome is that the shape of the car creates a relatively calm pocket of air at the rear of the car. Dirt settles on the rear hatch and glass, and there's no airflow to blow it away, so it just accumulates. Some people have had varying amounts of success with using different spoilers at the rear edge of the roof, but there's no 100% (or even 50%) solution.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:37 AM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Eiji
Thanks ... Anyone else have trouble keeping the rear hatch clean when it rains? They love to kick dust all over themselves.... Is there any good rear mud guards out there? .
Nice 02' !

For light dust on the MINI including the back I use a California Duster. They work awesome especially for when pollen turns our MINI's green

As for mud flaps to help keeping the dirt/dust accumulation down on the rear of the car.....All hatchback's get this, nothing you can do outside of welding a trunk to the back of the MINI.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:40 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Nice '02 MCS. That's what I drive too.

Replaced the steering pump this spring. It was still working, but whining a lot, so I decided it was time. Changed the PS fan too. Opus still has his original clutch and flywheel and it still works fine. Haven't had any issues with the A/C but I did find that it wasn't running as cold this summer as it used to. Will look at getting system recharged next spring. I think my next expense will be new shocks and springs.

I currently plan on keeping Opus for a long while.