1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Post and True Confessions

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM
mdwcarolina
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Post and True Confessions

Greetings everyone, and congrats on what is obviously a great site. It's clear that you have vast knowledge resources and nice people too.

My confession is that I just bought an '08 MC Clubman completely without knowing already what a wonderful vehicle these are and without deliberate advance intention (DUH!). But OH MY GOSH how lucky am I to have finally, at my advanced age (way over 40, okay, over 50), and eternal love of driving, gotten a CLUE! I am a divorced woman with two grown sons (one in the Air Force like my Dad was, and one who works for IBM), and the only child of an 84-yr-old disabled mom whom I'm caring for.

Moved to NC from southern Cali over a year ago, I've been fulltime taking care of mom and had semi-retired from a career in law enforcement, IT, and the federal government (easy to have weird combos like that when you're old!). But I've just gotten a new job that will involve driving all over North Carolina ... and my other vehicle is an '08 Dodge Nitro (another forum, many mods, cool vehicle no matter what the reviews say). And the Nitro is uhh, no good on gas mileage. So I talked my mom into looking into trading in her '05 low-mileage VW Jetta (also semi-lousy on fuel use), since she shouldn't drive anymore anyway, for something I could use for work and get great fuel economy.

Before I did something silly like go for a Honda Fit .... there it was, this fabulous-looking GEM of a car, sitting on the VW dealership's used lot, and it was love. LOVE! I'll be transporting and caring for dogs and other small animals, so the Clubman will work for all that. 29K miles on it, still under warranty, got a great deal on the trade-in (well, you know, sorta OK deal), extended the warranty... and driving this car feels like I'm 15 yrs old again driving manual on the Chevelle SS 396 (well, not quite like that, kinda better!) that I cut my driving teeth on This vehicle is what all cars should be, handles like a dream.

But I know NOTHING, zero, about these vehicles, and I am going to learn here! All I know so far is that I love driving and I LOVE THIS CAR!