1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Perry45
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another Newbie

Hi All:
I'm Perry amnd my wife and I purchased a used 06 (R53) with 60K on the clock. I am looking forward to being an active "Mini" participant, and wanted to say hello to everyone.
This is our first foray into the Mini/BMW world, and we hope to have no regrets.
While we were initially happy with the mini we have some apprehensions on the "known failures" for this model. We already have the leaking Thermostadt housing, and the Low speed radiator fan failure. The local BMW shop want a mear $1000.00 to fix these simple items.
Today I read about issues with oil for the Super charger. I'll need to dig out some more details on how to check/refill the oil. Feel free to suggest anything that will keep me from taking this back to the dealer.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:42 PM
globalscan
1st Gear
congrats, my 06 had the thermostat housing replaced when it had 5k mile on it. Other than that its been good thus far. I was told to keep on eye on the tire wear and alignment.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome Perry, my name is Perry as well! Congrats and don't worry about the money. You'll get addicted to MINI like the rest of us, then you won't mind spending all your money!!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:49 PM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
congrats and welcome to NAM

Old 11-25-2011, 06:54 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Welcome Perry. Congrats on your new mini.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM
MiniKar
5th Gear
Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Hello and Welcome to Nam. I have the same year Mini S and have done the following:

Replaced the coolant bottle, installed screw type hose clamps on the power steering lines, am now planning to replace the lower motor mount and the upper fluid filled motor mount with the newer unit sold at Way Motor Works. At your mileage I would suggest replacing the Belt, and the Coolant. Its a really fun car once you take care of a few minor problems . . . . . . . . . . . .

Old 11-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Perry45
Neutral
Thanks all for the warm welcome. While I am new to the Mini, I am an old hand at Mechanics and Mods. We purchased this car to help save some Gas money (I commute 23 miles one way to work) I usually drive an 06 Tundra double cab, but at 14 mpg, thats yesterdays news. The wife now drives the Tundra, leaving the Mini to me. I have to say that I am impressed with the build quality of the Mini. The fit and finish are quite good.
So tell me...Does this group get together and have "Mod Days?" Adding fixes and upgrades to our cars as a gfroup to take advantage of the collective expertise?

I truly look forward to meeting you all and becomming involved in the Minimania. Again thanks for the warm welcome.

Perry

Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 762 Likes on 622 Posts
Welcome Perry.
We typically charge around $200 for the thermostat repair. And for the fan repair make sure they use an OEM MINI fan, the aftermarket ones fail all the time.
But since you just bought the car check with your finance company and do some shopping around on extended warranty plans. It make cost $1000 or more but in the long run it will pay off as they will cover your repair expenses like a p/s pump, supercharger, a/c compressor.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-26-2011, 07:57 PM
Perry45
Neutral
I was able to purchase the both the new thermostad, W/ Gasket, as well as a New OEM Housing for less than $50.00, I'm going to take a stab at putting that on myself.

As to the Fan module, Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that the real failure here is the .34 Ohm/100 Watt resistor, which allow the fan to run at the lower speed. I ordered one from Mouser, and will remote mount it to restore the low speed function.
When we purchased the car it came with the extended "maintenance" warranty, but of course the Thermostadt and Fan module are not covered. It amazes me that the parts for this car are so expensive. Still I love a good challenge.

I guess the next thing to tackle is checking/adding oil to the SuperCharger. Anyone know any secrets to make this go any easier?

Hey WayMotorWorks, do you work for a local shop? I might as well take my car to be serviced by someone with a passion for cars, as you appear to be, rather than just the guys who mark time at a dealer.