1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F.n.g.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 11:40 AM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F.n.g.

This being my first post I'd like to introduce myself.

My name is Trevor. I'm 25 and I have an addiction.

Last weekends my wife decided on a whim to look at mini's online. Being the car guy that I am I had to join in. I found an 09 cooper s with automatic for her at a local Vw dealer. She tells me "make me a deal" so I went about contacting the dealer for more info. Immediately after hitting "send" I got a call.

We saw the car and I drove it because she didn't want to fall in love in case she wasn't approved.

2 hours later we were driving away in her Mini.

Then yesterday I decided to go see what they could do for me on an 06 Cooper S with a manual transmission. It took some wheeling and dealing to get financing but tjey found a.way to make it work.

So now I'm the proud owner of an 06 MCS with 48k on it. Got it for 14500. Carfax is clean. I think I got a good deal on it.

I haven't had a helluva lot of time to play yet but my weekend starts tomorrow.

Question though... What's the vent like thing on the headliner above the rear seat for?

Old 11-26-2011, 03:02 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome! The 06 is a solid build, good choice.

The vent that you are looking at is actually a motion sensor area for the alarm if you have it.

Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
ballandchain
4th Gear
So she got the 09?

Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ballandchain
So she got the 09?
Yea. It was automatic. Plus to be honest my credit sucks due to repo from getting laid off when the economic tanked. So I was lucky to get financed on the 06. Which works because I prefer the dash on the 06.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Mysticeti
3rd Gear
Great story. From zero to double mini madness in no time. Hope the cars treat you well. They are a blast to drive!

Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 PM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Mysticeti
Great story. From zero to double mini madness in no time. Hope the cars treat you well. They are a blast to drive!
They sure are. Its her dream car and I've wanted one since about 05.

Going from an old BMW e30 to this is like night and day. Way different. I love it.

From what I've read so far maintenance isn't too bad to do on them either.

It'd be nice to find an exact check list with mileage or something of what service is due when though.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM
Fastblue
2nd Gear
NICE. I have to wait for mine. I have friends that are a two-Mini family. Says a lot about how nice they are. You gotta drive. Might as well make it fun....

Old 11-27-2011, 08:22 AM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Fastblue
NICE. I have to wait for mine. I have friends that are a two-Mini family. Says a lot about how nice they are. You gotta drive. Might as well make it fun....
Absolutely. Thats the name of the game. I wont buy or drive a car I don't like and isn't fun to drive. It doesn't have to be fast (that doesn't hurt though) as long as its fun. You can see that from my list of previous cars.

Current:
2006 Mini Cooper S,
1977 MGB,
2009 Mini Cooper S (wife's car)

Previous:
1984 VW Jetta diesel,
2000 Jetta TDI,
2004 Frontier,
2005 Tacoma 4 cyl Prerunner,
2001 Jetta VR6,
2005 GTI,
1985 Jetta diesel,
2006 Tacoma V6 Prerunner,
1981 Rabbit diesel,
1981 Rabbit 16v,
1986 GTI,
1986 BMW 325e,
1989 GLI,
1999 MK3 Jetta,
1973 Stupid Beetle,
1989 GTI 16V,
1992 Jetta Carat,
1974 Ford F250 460,
1986 BMW 325es

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Here's the his and hers Minis

and along with my 77 MGB

Old 11-28-2011, 10:52 AM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Awesome job! Any plans to mod? Theres a few people on here in the Pheonix area, maby link up with them for rides/events.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:50 AM
urbancynic
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DICKS GARAGE R53
Awesome job! Any plans to mod? Theres a few people on here in the Pheonix area, maby link up with them for rides/events.
Hers wont be modded because she doesn't see any point in it, hers still has factory warranty left along with the maintenance plan. Plus I won't spend money modding her car when I have my own.

I'm still debating on what, if anything I want to do with mine. But I'm thinking the suspension will be left stock because I like it as is. Also my apartment complex is a heavy believer in speed bumps every couple of feet.

Im thinking I may do a pulley reduction, whether 15 or 17 I'm still not sure since I'm in AZ and the heat sucks.

With that I'm also considering having the ecu programmed to compliment the pulley.

I've always read that a cold air intake was just about noise and made no difference, but it seems in the Mini field there is a completely different view on it. So that may occur as well if I can determine which one is best.

If I could find a good exhaust with good sound I may consider that too, but I don't wish to pay 1000 bucks for it either.

Brakes are good as is, but when it comes time to replace them I think I'll buy a set of ATE Premium One rotors for front and rear and mate them to Hawk HPS pads as I've had fantastic results with this combo in my old 89 GTI.

The car will never see a track. It will mostly be doing daily duty. It will get to see some twisty roads here and there but thats about it.