1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Mini-curious member

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New Mini-curious member

Hello, had a ball driving a R56 S last Saturday, and joined the forum to brush up on what's with these cars, popular modifications, any potential trouble spots.

We're replacing my long-serving '96 Miata M with something new in March or so, so we've been shopping.

I'll jump in from time to time with a question or maybe an answer, I'm a long-time auto enthusiast and lover of fast small cars, I can remember many Sundays autocrossing, watching classic Minis with 10-inch rims.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum and good luck with a Mini hunt when the times right. I've owned my 2007 mcs for almost 3 months and it's a "ball" to own and drive.
It sounds like you're somewhat familiar with car forums so please don't let the "issues/bad news" scare you away from a mini. I was on the Corvette forum for 7 years and the "problems" some members had would stand your hair on end. I never once had an issue with my Vette in those 7 years and it had 75K miles on it when I sold it in Aug, 2011. I also own an Allegro Bus motorhome and it's the same there, nothing but "problems" in most of the threads. My motorhome has been great with very few issues.
So--the long and the short of it is---yes Mini's do have problems, after all, they are mechanical machines and it happens from time to time. Most mini's are reliable and give their owners very few problems AND if the car does have a problem--Mini has a great warranty and mini is strong on customer satisfaction.
Buy a good, sound car with lower miles that has been well maintained and as they say in the "Corvette world", DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLD IT! Best of luck

Last edited by RSchleder; 12-15-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:32 PM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Thanks! Yes, pretty forum-aware, and I know that forum posts tend to highlight the negatives, and loudly at times :-). We have a Corvette in the "barn" at home, and some of the Vette forum posts are darned interesting ("do they all ride like *this*?" and so on), and with a BMW motorcycle also I think I do get it about things that are mechanical, can wear out, need to be maintained, etc. etc.

What I'm seeing, that I didn't before, is the *amazing* amount of "stuff" for these cars, by so many vendors. Very nice to see! The degree of optional choices from MINI (albeit, some pretty pricey!) along with what's available aftermarket should result in a LOT of custom MINIs plying the roads. Very cool indeed.

Another: what other car can play its own "theme music"? (Mini Connected: Dynamic Music feature, chooses specially created music content based on driving dynamics or somesuch.) Wow.

Should be a fun time!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Autocrossing the MINI is fun, fun, fun. I have another 4 months before I can even think about it again. They have not been kind to the R56S in D stock. I even think they are moving the JCW to D stock too. The Justa mops up in H stock.

Good luck on you choice.