1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have i gotten myself into (pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Minicars
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What have i gotten myself into (pics included)

So my Titan sucks gas worse than a college student on a weeknd bender, on spring break, with a bottomless beer bong.

On an impluse i ran across this used Mini. Its an 09, has 20k miles on it. They were asking $18,900, i offerend them $16,900, they countered with $17,500 and i bought it.

To be honest, i dont even know what version or package it is. (little help?).

It has bluetooth, a cd player, leather seats, dual moon roof. Its an automatic but the seats are manual/non-heated.

The previous owner obviously took care of it...it has the 3m vinyl protectors on both on the hood and the roof (with the ugly wax line to go with it, those things were over $200 each when i looked into getting them for my mustang) and the car is in "excellent" condition.

At any rate...was it at least an ok buy at $17,500? What packages does this thing have on it...about what would it have been sold for retail in 09?

I did a quick google search and saw a bunch of complaints about the trannys. Are those legit complaints? Is that the manuals or the autos?

Any other "big issue" to watch out for with these?

I need to read the manual..i haven't even figured out how to program the radio stations or bluetooth yet (and found the way to open the sunroof by accident!)...but i have had FUN driving it the first two days. Avg mpg for the last 230+ miles =36.3!

Attached Thumbnails What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-front.jpg   What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-side.jpg   What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-sunrear.jpg  

Last edited by Minicars; 01-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Minicars
1st Gear
Three more pics, I had six orginally but only 3 areas to load.

Edit: I just saw the "Things you didn't know about your mini" thread and read the first two pages. OH boy!, im going to be busy for days!

I have the flu but it was hard to resist the temptation not to go out and play. Sigh....i have been in bed sick both nights since i got it, it rained all day today and i obviously cant try and program things and read the manual WHILE driving (well i could but i doubt it would end well). With it being used, i didn't get a "demo" at all. The guy at the Lexus dealership knew less about it than me...which is pretty bad.

Ugghh....ok well my flu meds are kicking in..maybe ill get program all this stuff and play with it tomorrow (today all i manged was to set the clock).

I also managed to discover that pushing the stick foward and backwards does the same thing as the wheel paddles, and that i really don't like sport mode unless im REALLY playing around and being an obnoxious driver. Not to worry, i can start it, work the head lights and wipers and set the mirrors...so ill be "ok" a few more days i guess.

Attached Thumbnails What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-sunspot.jpg   What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-interior.jpg   What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-roof.jpg  

Last edited by Minicars; 01-11-2012 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The auto transmission problems you are hearing about are for the first generation auto was a CVT and had problems. Your 09 has a different auto transmission. But not all of them.

This is a good place to start. There are a lot of great people here that are very willing to give help when asked.

Good Luck.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That's a fair price if you ask me. Nice ride! You're in for a lot of fun miles, enjoy!

And yeah, the auto trans issues were in the first gen (02-06) but your 2nd gen auto tranny is a safe bet.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
A good place to start if you really want to keep it sparkling is Detailing 101. Pay heed to Octaneguy. He knows of what he speaks.

I'll add a few URLs to add to your collection that have proved to be of value.
soopercooperinfo.com
pure-gas.org
toptiergas.com/retailers.html
motorcycleroads.us/index.html
motoringfile.com
Go to lightinsight.webfeatsecurity.com and order one today. If you can track me down you can thank me for that hint with a robust oatmeal stout.
There are also a world of aftermarket retailers listed in the fendor directory.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have an '09 MCa so hopefully this helps. It appears from your pics that you have the multi-function steering wheel(which is a huge plus because that means that you have cruise control which back in '09 was not standard on MINIs), Piano Black interior, the Euro armrest(which is another plus in my opinion), automatic A/C (which I think is required with the sunroof), and I'm fairly certain that you have the base wheels(ie no run-flats which is also good). The thing that I would check for is the secret compartment. If you press on the shiny black part in front of the passenger seat, does it open? A. It's a nice cubby to have and B. it could potentially have a hidden ipod hook-up (that's where mine is and it's a feature that I paid extra for). Yours must have had a pre-April build date because they stopped putting the paddle shifters on the '09 base Coopers in either March or April. It's an Aisin(sp?) automatic, which is supposed to be extremely reliable. With the exception of a bad tank of gas that caused mine to stall (I felt like a terrible person but it was top tier gas!), my auto transmission has performed beautifully. Regarding the gas, hopefully you were given an owner's manual (if not you can download one from the owner's lounge on the MINI USA website), the base Cooper can run on 87, aka regular grade, but I feel that my car performs better with premium(the recommended grade is 91) so I would recommend sticking with premium or 91 octane. In Texas we jump from midgrade at 89 octane to premium at 93 octane so mine gets 93 octane.

I would question whether those are really leather seats but I know next to nothing about the leather/leatherette differences in the '09 MINIs because I chose cloth seats (Texas is hot and leatherette is evil in 100+ degree heat). There were a bunch of us that had build threads (search Week 19, Week 43, etc.) in 2009 so you might be able to get a more concrete answer about the seating surface by looking at pictures from back then. My understanding is that MINI uses a really high quality leatherette so it's possible that the dealership mistakenly thought that it was leather.

Did you get any service records? With that many miles, it should have been to the dealership at least once for an oil change (mine needed the first one at 19k). Regardless of what the seat surface is, my personal opinion is that you got a fair deal for an '09 with that few miles. My guess, based purely on the steering wheel, is that that MINI just turned 3 years old and so is no longer covered under the 3 yr service and so was traded in for something new. Check KBB for their opinion on pricing. Here's a link to some videos that might be helpful: http://www.miniusa.com/AboutYourMini/

I hope this helps. Feel better soon and welcome to the MINI family!

PS: Have you played with the mood lighting yet? If you need any more info, feel free to PM me. I did a ton of research before ordering my MINI back in '09 and I've saved most of it.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:43 AM
b13mini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lacynpiper
I would question whether those are really leather seats but I know next to nothing about the leather/leatherette differences in the '09 MINIs because I chose cloth seats (Texas is hot and leatherette is evil in 100+ degree heat). There were a bunch of us that had build threads (search Week 19, Week 43, etc.) in 2009 so you might be able to get a more concrete answer about the seating surface by looking at pictures from back then. My understanding is that MINI uses a really high quality leatherette so it's possible that the dealership mistakenly thought that it was leather.
They look like leatherette to me! But everything I hear, the leatherette holds up very well and is easy to keep clean. In my opinion, they seem much softer than the leather. I have leather in my current MINI but chose leatherette for my next one.

There is a thread around here somewhere called, What's in my MINI or something close, you give partial VIN and they can tell you what came with your car! It's here in Minis in General somewhere.

Enjoy your new ride, it's a nice looking one!!

Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
Cruise control: check
Paddle Shifters: Check
Multi-function steeringwheel: Check
Secret Compartment: Check

Ipod connection: ???? I do have an aux port hiden just forward of the shifter. The radio also cycles through "USB" as an input device so is it possible there is a USB input hidden some where?

Fake Leather: It seems so...check.

Arm rest: Check

Fuel issue: There is no 91 here. Its either 87, 89 or 93. Im told either way im probably going to have build up unless i have the car retuned specificially to one of those gas types. 89 can cause spark knocking and then the car retards the timing and you get build up. 93 Burns too rich and again..build up.

What im told is best (for now) is to run 89 below 65F and run 93 Above 65F (apparantly temperature is also a factor) so thats what im doing for now.

Thanks a bunch..i feel better today but wouldn't you know it.....5+ hours of meetings and conference calls today...lol

Cheers.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:47 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
You've gotten yourself into an awesome little car at what appears to be a nice price. You have what is known as a "second generation" MINI. It's a non-S model, also known as a "Just-A-Cooper" or "R56" as it's official model designation (the R56 in this case refers to both the S and non-S models). The thread you were reading might have been the "things you didn't know" about the first generation models, the R50/R53 models. The R56 is a completely different car with a very similar shape, so make sure you are reading the "didn't know" thread (or posts) about your model, or nothing will make sense. We have two R50's so I don't even know if there is a "didn't know" thread about the second generation models. (edit- I don't think there is, but there are some second generation posts inside the "didn't know" thread)

And don't be intimidated by owners of the "S" model. Sure, they have more horse power but you have plenty plus better mileage, more reliability and the same go-kart handling.

Hooray for the Just-A-Coopers!

Welcome to the club and NAM.

Val

Last edited by valvashon; 01-12-2012 at 06:55 AM. Reason: fixed mistake
Old 01-12-2012, 07:08 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
I also have an '09 MCa so hopefully this helps. It appears from your pics that you have the multi-function steering wheel(which is a huge plus because that means that you have cruise control which back in '09 was not standard on MINIs), Piano Black interior, the Euro armrest(which is another plus in my opinion), automatic A/C (which I think is required with the sunroof), and I'm fairly certain that you have the base wheels(ie no run-flats which is also good). The thing that I would check for is the secret compartment. If you press on the shiny black part in front of the passenger seat, does it open? A. It's a nice cubby to have and B. it could potentially have a hidden ipod hook-up (that's where mine is and it's a feature that I paid extra for). Yours must have had a pre-April build date because they stopped putting the paddle shifters on the '09 base Coopers in either March or April. It's an Aisin(sp?) automatic, which is supposed to be extremely reliable. With the exception of a bad tank of gas that caused mine to stall (I felt like a terrible person but it was top tier gas!), my auto transmission has performed beautifully. Regarding the gas, hopefully you were given an owner's manual (if not you can download one from the owner's lounge on the MINI USA website), the base Cooper can run on 87, aka regular grade, but I feel that my car performs better with premium(the recommended grade is 91) so I would recommend sticking with premium or 91 octane. In Texas we jump from midgrade at 89 octane to premium at 93 octane so mine gets 93 octane.

Did you get any service records? With that many miles, it should have been to the dealership at least once for an oil change (mine needed the first one at 19k). Regardless of what the seat surface is, my personal opinion is that you got a fair deal for an '09 with that few miles. My guess, based purely on the steering wheel, is that that MINI just turned 3 years old and so is no longer covered under the 3 yr service and so was traded in for something new. Check KBB for their opinion on pricing. Here's a link to some videos that might be helpful: http://www.miniusa.com/AboutYourMini/

I hope this helps. Feel better soon and welcome to the MINI family!

PS: Have you played with the mood lighting yet? If you need any more info, feel free to PM me. I did a ton of research before ordering my MINI back in '09 and I've saved most of it.
I thought i replied but i guess i never hit the "submit" button.

Fake Leather: Check
Hidden compartment: Check
Ipod port: Not in hidden compartment. There is an aux jack forward of the shifter. The radio has a "USB input" selection mode. Where oh where could the USB jack be hiding?
Arm Rest: Check
Mood Lighting 5 colors: Check
Cruise control: Check
Multifunction steering wheel with paddle shifters: check
At least one servicing: Check Ill look back for the car fax now....

Old 01-12-2012, 09:53 AM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
At least you have he hidden compartment. I love mine because no one knows that it's there. The ipod connector that I was referring to would come through a hole in the back of the hidden compartment. If you don't have an existing cord inside there then you can use the aux jack.

Seriously it's a great car. Before I purchased mine I also looked at the Honda Civic, Toyota Prius, Saturn Vue Hybrid, and the Nissan Altima Coupe. I have not regretted my choice once.

Just ask if you have any other questions!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
Seriously it's a great car.
Just ask if you have any other questions!
That line alone from an original owner puts me at ease. And you can bet ill be asking question.

Sorry for the double post above. It seems i am on the "Posts remain invisible until moderator approved" list so when i THOUGHT i had not replied...i actually had (it just wasn't showing).

cheers!

Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
Setting next to my Titan. The full size that gets worse mpg than a new F150, Dodge Ram, Chevy Silverrado, GMC Seirra, or Toyota Tundra...

Setting next to the Mini..which went 410 miles on a tank of gas this week...

Talk about extremes.

Attached Thumbnails What have i gotten myself into (pics included)-untitled.jpg  
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM
Elwood09
2nd Gear
You should also check out the "Club & Regional Forum" section here on NAM! See if you can find a local club. There are some really great MINI enthusiasts all over the country with a wealth of knowledge, and they LOVE to share. I would HIGHLY recommend you find a club in your area, and get involved!

Woody

Old 01-12-2012, 12:39 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice MINI good luck welcome aboard. And for the love of MINI, Wave to fellow owners.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:24 PM
Minicars
1st Gear
"The wave"

Reporting my first "fellow mini" wave here in Augusta Ga by another Red/Black Hard top.....no hesitation.

Old 01-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Motor on and keep the WAVE alive.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
My 07 is auto and it's fine. Maybe not quite as fun as a manual but it works for me. Looks like you've got the Justa (non S) so probably fewer mechanical issues. The mileage and price is good. I paid 17K for my 07 MCS and it had 57K on it. I still love though.
You're in for alot of fun.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Minicars
1st Gear
So I read that the type of oil these things can run is VERY limited and im not sure who serviced it last.

It could have been some tech at the Lexus dealership who just flushed it with what ever was "on tap".

I have emailed my dealer salesman and asked him to contact the service dept and have them check their records and let me know EXACTLY what they put in it...

Would anyone else be concerned (am i being ****?). Im thinking i may have to get it changed out asap to make sure its got the right viscosity fluids in it.

Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
^^^I bought mine from a non-Mini dealer and I can guarantee they used regular 5/30W oil and not full synthetic. I took it home and stopped by a parts house, got some Castrol Edge, and filter and went home and changed it. I'm now going to start using Mobil 1 0/40W Europeon Formula.
If you bought it from a non-Mini dealer no telling what they used (probably what's on tap in their bulk barrels) like you said.
Not being paranoid, just careful.
I didn't read all these posts but you can give a dealer your vin # and they can pull up all options for your car and print it out for you.
The service dept. can also pull up all work done.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
...the MINI was serviced at 21179 miles with Mobil 1 5W30
Am i ok with whats in it till the service light goes off or do i need to get it changed?

I see if you go with Mobile 1 they recommend 0w-40. I am in Augusta Ga where the temsp range from 15f to 105f but usually are between 40f and 90f

Last edited by Minicars; 01-13-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minicars
Am i ok with whats in it till the service light goes off or do i need to get it changed?
Should be ok but I wouldn't go 15K between oil changes. I'd go 7 or 7500K miles at most.
Also, check it at each gas fill, only takes a minute. Let car set for about 5 minutes (ok, five minutes), pull stick out and wipe it off, reinsert it but don't shove it all the way in, pull it out and check it. Should show between the 2 little bumps.
Check radiator coolant also each time you fill up (just a visual check), make sure coolant is up to correct level.
There ya go.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Minicars
1st Gear
Awsome got it and check. Ill prob go back with Mobile 1 5w-40. The guy at the import service spec shop i just called told me same thing you did ("ok but change it in 7k miles) and to and that they use the 5w-40 here because of the hot temperatures (instead of 0-40).

Old 01-16-2012, 04:47 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Congrats on the MINI! I'm in Augusta, too. I've been trying to get together with the Columbia group, so let's keep an eye on that thread and we can rally together to the next meet. :D