1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In turmoil: Buy In-Stock or Custom Order

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Kelly2118
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In turmoil: Buy In-Stock or Custom Order

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums. I have been dreaming of owning a MINI for a couple of years now. Life is now such that I can afford to purchase one!

The deeper I get into my search the more my brain hurts with the math of it all.

I keep going back and forth. Should I buy used/new in-stock or should I pay a little more and custom order on a tight budget?

For those of you that custom ordered, were there any hidden charges I am not considering? When I build online it comes up with $23,045. Will the dealer tack more onto that (ie delivery charges, etc)?

Do you get charged additional charges if you buy in-stock anyway?

I appreciate any guidance! It is a scary and exciting time for me!

Old 01-15-2012, 08:41 AM
gds194
4th Gear
I was going to settle for one that ws in stock, only because I wanted it NOW.... After cooling down for the night, playing on the configurator.... I went for the custom order for me route! Super glad I did! The wait was only 8 weeks, and that is durn to the west coast shipping, much quicker if yours comes in on the east coast. I don't have any "what ifs" "I wish" regrets... But everyone is different. And no, there were on hidden costs snuck in on the deal, same discounts!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:13 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
I guess it depends on how close an in stock model comes to your wish list. If they have one that's very close and you can't wait those 6-8 weeks (which may seem like 6-8 months to you), then go for it. ONTH, one of the nice things about MINI's is how many different configurations there are for you to choose from, so if you want to 'YOUify', placing an order is the way to go. Either way, welcome aboard!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
As far as any hidden fees, other than destination charges, there weren't any for my custom built MINI. But, my MA was good enough to tell me that accessories not installed at the factory but added by the dealer would add significantly to the cost due to labor charges. For example, we were going to go with the hot chocolate steering wheel (and hand break) but learned that it was many hundreds of $$ to do the install due to having to repack the airbag. These costs are not reflected on the web site so just be careful what you order if you go down that route.

FWIW, I'm really glad we ordered our MINI. We got exactly what we wanted, down to the chrome scoop and black mirror caps.

Good luck and hope we can see pics of your MINI soon!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:26 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get exactly what you want now. Changing it later is costly or impossible. You will fall in love with the way this car drives. Don't set yourself up for any regrets of what could have been. But.... Only you can make financial decisions for you and your family. Don't over extend yourself.
Ask about charges above the selling price. The dealer has to tell you.

Old 01-15-2012, 09:27 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Speak to your dealer about any additional fees, but if you can afford it, order exactly what YOU want. You'll likely have this car for several years at least, waiting a few weeks to get it PERFECT is a small price to pay.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 AM
7t-onemonte
2nd Gear
I did the custom order on mine and couldnt be happier, some cars on the lot had things I didnt particularly need, or want, so my car ended up cheaper to build my way than some of the used ones on the lot even. The wait was short, I think I was 7 weeks, and well worth it. There were no hidden charges at all, any of the accessories that you may choose while building will tell you there is added installation fees, go over it all with your MA, the whole process was simple and fun!

Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 AM
SpicyMaguro
4th Gear
Originally Posted by 7t-onemonte
I did the custom order on mine and couldnt be happier, some cars on the lot had things I didnt particularly need, or want, so my car ended up cheaper to build my way than some of the used ones on the lot even. The wait was short, I think I was 7 weeks, and well worth it. There were no hidden charges at all, any of the accessories that you may choose while building will tell you there is added installation fees, go over it all with your MA, the whole process was simple and fun!
Yes, you remind me: it was a fun process. My MA was very relaxed and both my wife and I enjoyed our experience.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Order your Brand New MINI...just the way you want...enjoy the wait (OK, well no one really enjoys the wait)...BUT I guarantee you it will be so WORTH IT!!

Of course, set a Budget, what's important is that you are comfortable with the end $$. And "IF" by chance the Dealer has an "Eye Popping" that you just keep going back to look at...take THAT one Home!!

Either way in order to become a Full Fledged NAMer you have to post pics. of your Baby when he/she is Delivered!!

Last edited by RJKimbell; 01-15-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We custom ordered all four of ours, we're very happy with them. There were no hidden fees, our MA was upfront about the price for the first one (above MSRP in those days), and then they try to sell you stuff when you go collect.

And, as noted, dealer installed options can be much more expensive because of installation charges. I was shocked at the cost to install Tristan's iPod adapter. I never thought about the installation charges.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:04 PM
Evasive
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
No hidden fees but talk to your dealer about destination and document fees. Both could go over $1k total depending on your dealer and where you live.

As far as buying used or new, I would definitely check out what they have used in stock. If they have a low mileage certified MINI with lots of options then it may be a better buy. If its more important to you to have a brand new car then I would say order but at a $23k budget, doesn't sound like you're really wanting a whole lot of options.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
grips03
2nd Gear
I would recommend you buy new due to length of warranty (4 years/ 50K miles) and 3 years of maintenance included. Just make sure you know exactly what you want, as once its ordered it can't really be changed. There are so many color choices, options, etc. Try to get out the door price, as this will have doc fee (mine was $399 , new plate / reg fee was $150 IIRC). I bought for $1000 off MSRP, others on this forum have done better. If getting a car in stock, perhaps with options you don't really want, but are paying for might be a good idea to get larger discount. If you can wait 6-8 weeks, its best to order so you don't over buy. Good luck.

Old 01-16-2012, 06:34 AM
klricks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kelly2118
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums. I have been dreaming of owning a MINI for a couple of years now. Life is now such that I can afford to purchase one!

The deeper I get into my search the more my brain hurts with the math of it all.

I keep going back and forth. Should I buy used/new in-stock or should I pay a little more and custom order on a tight budget?

For those of you that custom ordered, were there any hidden charges I am not considering? When I build online it comes up with $23,045. Will the dealer tack more onto that (ie delivery charges, etc)?

Do you get charged additional charges if you buy in-stock anyway?

I appreciate any guidance! It is a scary and exciting time for me!
I considered cars on the lot but most of them had way more options than I wanted, so ordering exactly what I wanted was quite a bit cheaper for me. However if they had exactly what I wanted the price would have been identical for current year from lot -vs- ordered.
I paid MSRP Dec '09.

The delivery charge is included in the purchase price and is shown on the config web site.

My dealer added $295 fee which included floor mats, tank of fuel, wheel locks and a few other items. I was told of this charge up front, even in the very 1st email reply to my inquiry.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:00 AM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
Like others, I considered some "off the lot" cars but found I was able to get more for my money by custom building one. If you have the luxury of waiting, get exactly what you want. Its a good feeling driving off in a car that has been yours since it was just a twinkle in the factory's eye!