1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer's Remorse...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Jim_Chilenski
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buyer's Remorse...

Hello All.

I introduced myself in November after I purchased my 2004 R53 after the dealer informed me that the radiator cooling fan was no longer running on the low speed setting, only the high speed one.

Since that time I have come to the realization that buying a Cooper S with 115,000 miles on the odometer may not have been the smartest thing to do.

I have learned that the PTO on the superchargers are know to chew themselves to dust after having the lubricating oil sucked into the intake after 100,000 or so miles, necessitating a rebuild for around $800.00 plus the labor.

When I took the car into the dealer for the Service One and oil change they informed that....

Cooling fan needs replaced
Control arm bushings need replaced
Rear main oil seal is leaking
Beside getting me for $300 for the Service One.

But then two weeks ago I went to start the car after work to drive home and had no power steering assist. I drove the car 32 miles home, parked for 20 minutes, came back out and restarted it and the power assist was back. I took the car back to the dealer to have them check the power steering pump and they told me that there weren't any error codes for the power steering pump failure and that it was currently working. But that they could replace the pump for $989.00 once it fails.

I have since read that several owners have had success by just replacing the brushes and cleaning the armature so if I can keep the system working until the warm weather returns to Ohio I will probably try that first before sending it for a rebuild.

Well, it did the same thing this morning but this time instead of driving the car I just immediately shut it off and restarted it and the power assist returned.

So my question for those who have experienced the failing power steering is, does this type of failure sound like the first indications of the pump failing? From what I have read on the forum the assist will cut out and in at the most inappropriate times while driving. Yet in both of my cases the assist wasn't working at start up, but after restarting the car it came back. Is this the harbinger of things to come?

One other question. Has anyone been able to get a complete service history of their used Cooper from Mini USA? It would be nice to know what, if any, major components had been replaced in the past.

Thanks for listening..!
Jim

Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 AM
Tank251
4th Gear
Sorry to hear about your troubles. I am a new MINI owner too. Just got mine in December. I went with a new car because I have never had luck with used cars. I also stayed away from the S's because I heard they had more trouble. I wish you better luck with your car.

Also, Greetings from a former Ohio resident. I was born in Youngstown and later lived in North Baltimore (Yes Ohio). I have only been in Colorado for a little over 7 years.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:53 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
We have an electric power steering. Yes there are lots of issues concerning this. Search this forum for more info on that.

Control arm bushing are one of those wearable items. Have them replaced with the powerflex bushing. That will end that issue and you will notice it in the handling.

Rear main oil seal? That's kinda vague. Check the valve cover leaking down the rear.

Cooling fans sounds like the low speed resister went bad.

Are you at a MINI dealership or a shop? If it is just a shop, consider taking it to the dealer or a MINI/BMW shop.

Welcome aboard and good luck. Don't forget the wave.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:57 AM
Jim_Chilenski
1st Gear
Re:

Thanks Tank251,

I too lived in Y'town for a number of years. Was there in the late 70's for the closing of S&T and and Republic. Times best forgotten.

I may have since discovered a reason, if not a possible solution, to my power steering pump failure.

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/th...ssageID=405255

It seems that if you are too quick in turning the key to 'start' the electronics on the pump do not have enough time to detect the correct voltage from the alternator.

"If we gave a .5 sec delay, the pump would always come to full assist right away, but if we only delayed .25 sec, it would only work sometimes. Our theory is that the electronics needs a delay of at least .25 to .5 sec from ignition being at 12V to the alternator signal being at 12V for it to turn on the assist immediately."

This may be my problem since the dealer didn't find any error codes for the power steering pump.

Enjoy Colorado. One of my favorite places to get lost for a time.

Jim

Old 01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Jim_Chilenski
1st Gear
Braminator,

Yes, I am using my Mini dealership for these checks.

You are correct about the low speed resister on the cooling fan being bad. That was my assumption as well.

Lower control are bushings I can understand and I will replace them in the near future. I don't want to prematurely wear out the new tires on the car.

I too kind of wondered about the rear main oil seal. In my searches on the web for common problems I never found that it was an issue. Since I'm not seeing any oil on the garage floor and the level is staying constant, I'm wondering if they were correct in their diagnosis. The dealer also suggested doing the clutch as well which I would also want to do if I was removing the tranny. Along with the rear main seal, throw out bearing, and pressure plate. No sense pulling a transmission and NOT replacing these items as well.

When I speak of "Buyer's Remorse" it's just that I expected to get several months service out of the car before having to start dropping large amounts of money into it. I knew that I would have to spend some money on a car with 115,000 + miles on it, just not quite this soon. But that being said, it is a fun driver.

By the way, nice score on the 2002 MCS. Nice to know that a Mini can still be going strong after 200K.

Jim