1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a cooper in my future

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Cooper Trooper
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
a cooper in my future

I've wanted a Mini Cooper S since the first series two came out a decade ago. I've slept with a model on my nightstand for years. The main reason I never actually tried to purchase one is that I thought getting it serviced would be a nightmare, considering the relative rarity of a dealership. I can't believe it took me this long, but I just learned today that Mini is owned BMW (so any one of the many dealerships can service a Mini)!

So I've set my sights and my savings on eventually getting my own Cooper S, maybe after my next deployment. I'm just here to learn everything I can in the mean time (and maybe some folks to help fuel my "Mini envy")

Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Squirlz
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not sure where you got your info but I know of no BMW dealers that will service MINIs.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:35 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, Squirlz is right. You'd think a BMW dealership could service a MINI, but they can't/won't. :(

Old 01-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to get see the price of coolant one time from the BMW dealership in town.... "Yes I know MINIs are made by BMW. The next time you need a real car and a real BMW come back to me"

I said some nice words and left =P

On a positive note: You can do a lot of work yourself or bring it to a independent mechanic. Many times the work will be better and less expensive if you find a reputable mechanic who can work on your MINI (many Euro car mechanics can). Check out this link for ones near you: http://soopercooperinfo.com/lindaminiinfo.html

Old 01-21-2012, 06:26 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is pretty rude, wow. Even if you were to buy a BMW, I'm sure it wouldn't be from that dealership now! My MINI dealer shares a lot with BMW, same parts desk, etc. I've never gotten any bad attitude. Once I was browsing the used lot and the MINI salesman came over, said "The BMW guy paged me, he said you looked like a MINI guy," whatever that means. Hah. I parked my car a block away so I don't know what tipped him off. Maybe I'm too young to be shopping BMW's.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:42 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
You probably looked too friendly and nice and that's why you are a "MINI person"

Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM
SCMountaineer
4th Gear
I, too, hoped that BMW dealers might be able to service MINIs. (My father will likely buy Pip from me when the time comes, and he lives a couple hundred miles away from a MINI dealer). You'd think they would at least be able to do the maintenance and common repairs.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:04 AM
Cooper Trooper
1st Gear
Well that's kind of a buzz-kill to hear. How hard is it to find an independent shop to perform repairs? I'm in the military, so I'll be moving every few years. I would hate to move to a new place and not be able to get my car competently serviced.

Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 AM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Look at the link I posted to see if there is one near you. I am fairly lucky as my mechanic is about 5 minutes from my house. I do a lot of work on my own but for the pain in the *** stuff - I give the car to him

Just look around and I am sure something will come up.