1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probable new owner seeking wisdom!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Xipher
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probable new owner seeking wisdom!

Looking at getting a Mini, never have owned one but I've wanted for a while now though they've sort of been out of my price range.

Recently I sold my car and went 100% motorcycle after being approved for a car loan so I would have a down payment on something, I really want that something to be a Mini...

So far, I've driven a 2006 S with less than 40k on the clock and I thought it was silly fun, I've driven a 2007 S with around 60k on the clock and thought it was a bit lackluster though it certainly wanted to squeal the tires through first gear, it just didn't feel like it was as eager to haul butt.

I've read that the 2005/2006 Mini's are very desirable and I've also learned they come with a less than desirable price tag if they have low miles and are clean, the R56's in general just cost too damn much as well regardless of miles and condition.

What I'm left with is this, models in the 2004 year or earlier, or higher miles examples around 65-75k and 80k~ish, or base models but I'm only looking for S models.

So what am I getting myself into? My budget is around 12-13k tax included as the purchase price of the vehicle and I live in Northern California, far enough away from the bay area to make in a real pain in the butt to go out there to check on a car.

I see a few interesting cars, I've seen a 40th anniversary listed around 14k with 75k miles on it, there is a JCW with 91k miles on it in the same price range, and I'm going to look at a 2004 with around 40k on it that apparently has had a few goodies put on it too and that's also listed around 14k.

Bluebook and NADA are usually worthless at best on a car like this, so, what is a good deal?

What I want is this, a fun little car that gets 'decent' gas mileage and isn't in constant need of mechanical attention, something to get into and drive to Las Vegas without thinking more than to check the tires and fluids, something to rip down an on ramp at mach 10 or slip though a twisty mountain road at a pace no other car dare try and keep while feeling no more effort than usual. Do I get this more with an R53, an R56, or am just barking up the wrong tree here, and if one or the other, or none, why?

Going to level here, I'm a 23 year old guy who tries to take VERY good care of his vehicles but just is tired of owning high mile older vehicles, my last car had 176k on the clock and was 20 years old, and that's the youngest I've had.