1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, want a MINI! Husband is not sold.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 09:49 PM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Two cars I could never own were the VW and Mitsubishi just for their history,VW for being founded in 1937 by the **** trade union and Mitsubishi for building the ZERO planes and bragging in ad's about the rich history.... the MINI has always made my friends scratch their heads but I never bought it to impress anyone, It was for me, What ever did happen to the OP did she get the car?

Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a long time to hold a grudge. Sell the MINI. MINI is owned by BMW, which supplied engines for WWII combat aircraft. Also add to your list: Mercedes-Benz (then Daimler-Benz; combat aircraft engines), Porsche for his tank components, and FIAT for combat aircraft engines.

From reviewing her posts, OP ordered a new pepper white MINI and got it near the end of May.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
The factory in which our MINIs are built was used in the allied war effort, during WWII.

"In World War II the Morris factory produced many de Havilland Tiger Moth training aeroplanes for the war effort and there was also the No 1 Metal and Produce Recovery Depot run by the Civilian Repair Organisation to handle crashed or damaged aircraft and even the wreckage of enemy aircraft was processed here." -Wikipedia

Dave

Old 09-24-2012, 11:20 AM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
You guys are missing my original post was Mini founded by BMW? Was Mini founded by the *****? Did they brag of their rich history to sell me a car? My money goes where my beliefs are not to watered down arguments almost all companies were in the war effort back then but if you are here because on the **** party or brag after supplying the enemies effort that you have a long and storied past I am all set with you. that's all now go ahead and Wikipedia some more things that don't factor in. lol

Old 09-24-2012, 12:15 PM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by OceanMini2
Minis are for people that like cute cars.

GTIs are for people that like German cars (even if your VW is made in Mexico).
I had a couple of friends just buy GTI's and I have ridden in one of them. To me it's just a small family car with a turbo and lo-pro tires.

The more I drive other cars, the happier I am with my MINI. When I bought it I was leaning toward something more "practical" but my wife knew that the MINI was what I had been wanting for years so she made sure I got one.

When it comes time for her to buy a car I will have very little input into what she gets as long as we get a fairly good deal on it.

Old 09-24-2012, 12:42 PM
aldewitt
Neutral
I have a VW Convertible Beetle and love it. I have a Mercedes ML 350 and love it.
I just bought a 2008 Mini off the Repo lot, and love it too.
I care how well the car drives and how reliable it is. I don't care what happened 67 years ago, ten years before I was born.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:34 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit to add: I misread your post, you weren't contending that MINI was founded by the *****, however as pointed out they do flaunt their history of making aeroengines, the BMW badge is supposedly a stylised propellor.

Originally Posted by MiniMello
You guys are missing my original post was Mini founded by BMW? Was Mini founded by the *****?
MINI wasn't founded by the *****.

The original Mini was produced by BMC, a British company formed when Austin and Morris merged. Austin was founded in Longbridge (Birmingham, UK) in 1905 by a brit, Morris was founded in Oxford (UK) in 1912 by a Brit. The ***** hadn't been invented back then.

BMC in its successive incarnations was all British until BMW bought them in 1994, and spun MINI off as a separate brand. Most MINIs (except the countryman) are built in the old Morris Cowley (Oxford) factory.

Last edited by Btwyx; 09-24-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 AM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
so how'd it go OP? My wife and I just bought our first MCS (primarily for her use). I, too wasn't sold on it at first and she really wanted it badly. Knowing that we'd eventually get one, it so happened that an opportunity presented itself last week. I'm really happy that she has the car that she likes and it really is a hoot to drive. As for space, at least the back seat folds down, which my 335 doesn't do. I'd suggest you put your foot down and get the car that you're clearly passionate about. YOLO.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:09 AM
MiniMello
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
Edit to add: I misread your post, you weren't contending that MINI was founded by the *****, however as pointed out they do flaunt their history of making aeroengines, the BMW badge is supposedly a stylised propellor.

MINI wasn't founded by the *****.

The original Mini was produced by BMC, a British company formed when Austin and Morris merged. Austin was founded in Longbridge (Birmingham, UK) in 1905 by a brit, Morris was founded in Oxford (UK) in 1912 by a Brit. The ***** hadn't been invented back then.

BMC in its successive incarnations was all British until BMW bought them in 1994, and spun MINI off as a separate brand. Most MINIs (except the countryman) are built in the old Morris Cowley (Oxford) factory.
If your going to quote me you should understand what you are quoting, I am saying it wasnt founded b the ****'s VW was, wow you really havent been following. I will stop this never ending argument, I was saying I wont buy a VW or Mitsubishi because of their history and thats all, VW was in too much of this thread lol. re read my posts and you will see where i was going , I assume the OP bought the VW because they never came back to here. I have no issue with car manufacturers helping a war cause, most of them had to do it, but if they are founded by **** union and nicknamed by Hitler or if they helped with Zero planes and then run ads telling me about their rich history then they are not seeing one dollar from me thats all, the MINI I own is the first foreign car I have ever owned and I have owned over 50 in my lifetime, all american cars. I will get off my soapbox now lol MINI is a great car and thats why its my first foreign car, and probably the only one.