1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, want a MINI! Husband is not sold.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:00 PM
a Dash of Red
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted a MINI for ten years. Have a picture of one on my monitor, a couple of models on my desk.

It's time for a new car, I've never had a brand new car. Got the last one almost ten years ago got a good deal on it, but it's tired. I've looked at and driven more then ten different makes.

Husband seems to like the VW GTI for some reason, we both drove a Golf TDI and liked it. When we were done he said how do you like it? I said that I liked it but still liked the MINI better. He doesn't seem to get it. It's like he was run over by a Mini in a passed life.

Any advise?

I'm looking at ordering a Justa, Sport package, Cold Weather, Premium and HK white turn signals

Old 03-30-2012, 07:07 PM
Tacoman03
3rd Gear
Have a Justa Countryman and love it! Will be passing it on to my 16 year old daughter soon, my wife does not get the MINI thing at all, but I pay the bills so my weekend car has been a MINI(I had a 2009 Clubman before the CM)for 3 years now....no regrests. Go with what you like/love....especially since you keep your car for 10 years.....

Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
caprisun
2nd Gear
same shoes here, want a mini cooper s but wife doesn't get it... oh well....

Old 03-30-2012, 07:09 PM
T328I
Neutral
Did you get him to test drive the Mini? Perhaps, if you look at a Cooper S with less options (for about the same price) he will like it better than the GTI. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:23 PM
a Dash of Red
1st Gear
He rode in 2010, I drove and he's it's so small........

I drove both the S and the Justa 2012, I'd be good with a Justa, I think speeding tickets would be in my future with a S.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:25 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
I would go for the TDI myself....

Old 03-30-2012, 07:30 PM
a Dash of Red
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SPDinNY
I would go for the TDI myself....

Why? That's my second choice, third is the Subaru Impreza 2.0i Limited.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM
SPDinNY
5th Gear
because it is diesel and will last forever plus over 40mpg.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by T328I
Did you get him to test drive the Mini? Perhaps, if you look at a Cooper S with less options (for about the same price) he will like it better than the GTI. Good luck!
I think this is your best bet...have your Husband take the Test Drive, don't even be in the car with him...if you can contact a Motoring Advisor before hand and tell him/her what you are planning, they'll set the bait for you!!

Good Luck!!

pssst...I know you want a "Justa", but have him TD an "S"...he'll never get that silly off his face!!

Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 PM
a Dash of Red
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell

pssst...I know you want a "Justa", but have him TD an "S"...he'll never get that silly off his face!!
Oh that's a good idea, hadn't thought of that!

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM
miss_chiff
1st Gear
I had wanted an MCSC for 6 years (hence how many years I've been lurking on the forum).
For various reasons, he insisted it wasn't practical.
In Jan., we/I recently got a 2005 MCSC as a third car. I think DH did it to shut me up. God bless him, it worked. I drive it all the time and I love it! My current 'daily driver collecting dust' is a MB Glk, before that c300, and c280. I tried to tell him I'd be happy with an MCSC ...I think he gets it now! I love how nimble it is.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:28 PM
sorensilk
2nd Gear
DIVORCE!!! Just kidding. I recommend just letting him drive a MINI S on some nice curves. He'll be sold.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 PM
DICKS GARAGE R53
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Its the whole MINI's are for girls syndrome... Happens all the time.

I agree, have him take an "S" model out on his own for long enough for him to USE the car. Then send him on here, he will find that women are a minority in MINI ownership.

Oh... And promise not to "Girlie it up" when you do get one... Trust me it helps.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:26 AM
proximo
3rd Gear
We have an 08 MCS and I wasn't truly sold on it when we got it, but I got it because my wife wanted it. It took me realistically a year or so to actually fall in love with it like I do my Challenger. Now I find just as many excuses to drive it as I do my Challenger. BUT I will say I would not be as happy with the non-S version since I like power. Also BUT, that being said ... I am looking into a 68-72 Original now.

If he's comparing between the Justa and a TDI and the TDI wins out ... it's a two factor call -- the TDI engine is more powerful than the Justa (TDI = TURBO diesel) and it is a bit larger (by 19"). I get that. Put him in a MCS or a JCW and have him compare then (turbo to turbo).

Next question would be, who's car is it going to be: his, yours, or both? If it's yours, you should get the majority vote. If it's both, ok, do the above and then see.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:38 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FireDragon

I'm looking at ordering a Justa, Sport package, Cold Weather, Premium and HK white turn signals

Just do it. Use your power of veto on the old, old, old man. Ask him when he got old and quit being fun.

Our MINI is the wife's, I drive a diesel truck and still love her MINI.

Premium package is a wise choice for the comfort access. Xenon headlights are a must. Really study all the options so you don't leave off something you later regret. Some things like comfort access cannot be easily added later.

Be aware that the sports seats are thinner and firmer, so you will loose some ride quality of the Justa even with it's non-runflats. Those thicker seats and 15" tires make a difference too. Get leather for sure. Rear fogs are nice.... and on and on.....

Last edited by MCS Fever; 03-31-2012 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:43 AM
firenewt
4th Gear

Well, you may be able to work out a trade value on him. If he doesn't sell - trade him in. Just make sure you can cover any outstanding loan amount.

Kevin

Old 03-31-2012, 10:49 AM
Finz up
3rd Gear
RJ is correct call the advisor and get him in an S and make sure they put it sport mode. If he is a stick man make sure he drives that. That should do it. If not, there is no help for you, sorry.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:54 AM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by caprisun
same shoes here, want a mini cooper s but wife doesn't get it... oh well....
Looks like you're all set for the spousal swap with the OP.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
I'm getting here a bit late, but I think any person who has the MINI itch for that long deserves to scratch it. It's not like having a baby; one can sell it if it doesn't work out.

After imprinting on our '64 Mini Cooper S in the early '70s, my wife recently tried to get me to sell my M3 and buy "us" a MINI. After being convinced that wasn't going to happen, she went out on her own and bought one she liked. It was all I could do to keep her from buying the very first one she test drove. She's happy now (that's worth a lot), and I spend more time on NAM than on all the other car sites combined.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:35 AM
jibber11
4th Gear
Originally Posted by FireDragon
He rode in 2010, I drove and he's it's so small........

I drove both the S and the Justa 2012, I'd be good with a Justa, I think speeding tickets would be in my future with a S.

Well I'm 6'6 and came from a ford flex, that argument is mute to me.

Get a car you kinda like and you drive it in to the ground, get a car you love and you wash it often and take care of it.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Meister
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My wife always liked the MINIs but I wasn't so excited abouth them. That is until I found out that MINI made a "M" version. The JCW is a blast to drive and that's saying something for me as my other toy is an M3 convertible. I agree with the notion of getting your husband behind the wheel of the S model. You'll have a MINI before you know it. Only problem is you may never get to drive it.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:02 PM
RSchleder
3rd Gear
Since your husband is not sold, try putting him on ebay, maybe you'll get some bids.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:18 PM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
My wife wasn't sold either, but the car I was driving was a 20+ year old French heap and she would have been happy with me getting almost anything else. We let each other buy any car they want and don't interfere. I got a slightly used '02 R50 back in '07 and within a year she wanted her own! She eventually got an '03 R50, so just buy the Justa and wait- he'll come around!

Val

Old 03-31-2012, 07:31 PM
OceanMini2
4th Gear
Minis are for people that like cute cars.

GTIs are for people that like German cars (even if your VW is made in Mexico).

Old 04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
polepino
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OceanMini2
Minis are for people that like cute cars.

GTIs are for people that like German cars (even if your VW is made in Mexico).
I dunno... even though MINI's can be 'cute,' MINI's always come off to me as 'cool.' To me its always like 'that's a cool lookin' little car' and then I just imagine driving it ...HARD

Quick Reply: Help, want a MINI! Husband is not sold.......