1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012 | 09:52 AM
chob44
|
1st Gear
New car

Hello everyone,
First time posting, interesting craud.
I need some advice here. Currently not an owner yet, but my story goes as follows..
I was toying with the idea of buying one, ( I'm not big into cars) but I made the mistake of driving one, and ever since I HAVE TI GET ONE. Anyway I was looking for an used cooper s convertible, loved the turbo,,,but an opportunity of buying a regular copper convertible not s came, and financially makes a lot of sence (very good buy) . My question. Is it a big difference s vs not..
Thanks and sorry for using so much space on my first post

Old 04-11-2012 | 10:00 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Not big into cars? Drove a MINI. You will be soon!

IMHO, get the straight Cooper. Better reliability, fun to drive. If you need to drive quicker, you will want the S. Otherwise they are almost the same car.

You didn't say if you were looking at Gen1 or Gen2 cars. There is a BIG difference between the generations, both in looks/design and the way they drive.

Old 04-11-2012 | 10:39 AM
chob44
|
1st Gear
Well it's a 2010 (bone color with brown top..beautiful also its automatic, with a sport push button that was so much fun...and you are right, I think I'm getting into cars I'm looking already for 17,s because the car has 16,s and is not under the tire and rim service, it has the maintenance, excluding tires and rims.. Speaking of warranties.. Do you know if I have to go and change the names with BMW or automatically changes with ownership? Thanks

Old 04-11-2012 | 10:46 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by chob44
Well it's a 2010 (bone color with brown top..beautiful also its automatic, with a sport push button that was so much fun...and you are right, I think I'm getting into cars I'm looking already for 17,s because the car has 16,s and is not under the tire and rim service, it has the maintenance, excluding tires and rims.. Speaking of warranties.. Do you know if I have to go and change the names with BMW or automatically changes with ownership? Thanks
Congrats!! Sounds like you have a Pepper white Mini! I was never a "car person" either until my Mini. I, too have a straight cooper and have since added the DDMWorks Cold Air Intake for a little added horse power and vrooom! Love it! Soon will be adding the Torque arm bushing from www.waymotorworks.com I have totally been assimilated

Old 04-11-2012 | 02:18 PM
Finz up
3rd Gear
Non S are great. Sport mode is fun. I have one of both. Little more to deal with on an S. Go with non S and you will be ok.

Old 04-11-2012 | 03:44 PM
chob44
|
1st Gear
Thanks for the advice... I was feeling a little ifi about it not being s model,, feelin better, so I'm just going to have to ad 17,a and the ddm works (hope is not hard and doesn't void the watrantie)...

Old 04-11-2012 | 04:00 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Thanks for the advice... I was feeling a little ifi about it not being s model,, feelin better, so I'm just going to have to ad 17,a and the ddm works (hope is not hard and doesn't void the watrantie)...
I, too worried these mods might void warranty. Nope! Mod away!!! I emailed and researched to be sure.... CAI was a 15 minute install by husband (I held the shop light). Very, very simple and effective!!!!!! Am told torque arm Bushing worthwhile as well, and very affordable! LOVE my Mini!!!

Old 04-11-2012 | 04:04 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Oh, forgot to mention, I swapped out my chrome 16" run flats for 17" Enkei EDR9's and Conti DWS performance tires. Love the look, AND the smoother ride! Have fun!!!!!

Old 04-12-2012 | 12:17 AM
Uncl3
5th Gear
The regular coopers are more reliable but there is a considerable amount of power difference between the two. I know many people that have said they wished they've got the S instead. Especially my girlfriend because now she wants a JCW Roadster.

Old 04-12-2012 | 07:30 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
If you are buying from a MINI dealer I'm sure they will transfer the warranty for you, but if you are buying elsewhere, I'd call MINI or your local MINI dealer to find out how to do it.

The ride on the 17's will be harsher than the 16's. A 19mm rear sway bar will also help you corner flatter... the list goes on.

I suggest you live with the car and drive the heck out of it for a while before making any changes. Modding is great, but can get expensive quickly. Find out what you want to improve and then research how to do it.

Have fun!