1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another new member with a new Mini...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 PM
SBrown712
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another new member with a new Mini...

I went to the Mini dealer yesterday looking to get info on ordering a Mini because I knew I wouldn't find what I wanted in stock. So I start talking to a salesman and look around as he plays with the computer. I spot this different shade of blue on a S model. For you BMW guys it reminds me a lot of Laguna Seca blue with metal flake in it. It was nothing like I originally wanted but I liked it.
I have a really bad back. I'm one of the lucky ones that surgery didn't fix. I was concerned about the seats as there is no lumbar adjustment. I ask the salesman about the possibility of a LONG test drive so I could see if I would be able to walk after a long drive. OK, a reasonably long drive. The salesman asks for my driver's license and insurance card. A few minutes later he walks up to me and hands me my stuff back and a key. He shows me to the car and says have fun. About an hour later I walk into the dealership and I could stand up straight with no problem.
So then the dickering begins on the car sitting in the show room. Yes, I realize I am rambling so I'll cut to the chase.
I ended up with a 2012 hard top S with an automatic. The color is called Kite Blue and as I understand that color is only available with the Bayswater Package. All of the package wasn't on the car though. I have a blue top and the stripe on the hood was left off. Both of those are fine with me since I didn't want a black roof anyway.
I went for a nice drive today and am happy with my choice. It will take some time to get used to front wheel drive as it's been a very long time since I've had a car with front wheel drive. The torque steer is pretty strong and the car reacts to steering input differently. Originally I wanted the sport package with the upgraded springs and sway bars but after driving the standard suspension I'm glad I didn't get those options. I may end up changing things later but for now it's good enough.
I'm glad I found this forum and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:33 AM
khurley424
2nd Gear
Theres nothing quite like that first time you go for a drive in a MINI, and have that realization of "forget the fact that it *only* has a 1.6, this is stupid amounts of fun!" Im glad you find your car comfortable, and think that kite blue is a pretty cool color! If you have a local MINI club and you attend meets your car will definitely stand out. Enjoy it!

Old 04-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Uncl3
5th Gear
Congrats!

Old 04-23-2012, 03:36 AM
MY4thMINI
6th Gear
SBrown, great story! I see many happy motoring miles in your future.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:28 AM
Schtuffy
2nd Gear
Congrats! Can you please post some pictures? There seems to be some debate on how the Kite Blue looks in natural light.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:37 PM
SBrown712
Neutral
Thanks everyone. I was actually able to drive a Mini before they were introduced into the US way back when. I was impressed enough with the car that it was always an option for me. I've been a BMW guy for a very long time and the Mini carries some BMW DNA especially in the build quality.

I will try and get some pictures up soon or as soon as I make it home while there is good sun light. I went by the dealer on my way home today and parked next to a car that I think was Laser Blue Metallic. The blue in it was darker and it looked like it was over a darker primer. The Kite Blue looks like it's over a silver, or at least a light color, primer. Let's try this for a minute, imagine Laser Blue being applied in 4 coats of blue. Now take that color maybe a little lighter and only apply two coats. That would be close to Kite Blue. You can see more of a silver mix in Kite. Ever realize how difficult it is to describe a color?

Do many people do any modifications to their cars? I am finding very few wheel options. I've found a few exhausts and some cold air intakes but they sure didn't look like they would be breathing cold air as they were open to the engine bay.

Steve

Old 04-23-2012, 07:45 PM
khurley424
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SBrown712
Do many people do any modifications to their cars? I am finding very few wheel options. I've found a few exhausts and some cold air intakes but they sure didn't look like they would be breathing cold air as they were open to the engine bay.

Steve
DDM Works makes an intake for turbo mini coopers that makes use of the psudo-hood scoop that came on the car from the factory, turning it into a functional cold air scoop. One of the guys in my local club has it, its really high quality and i think its a great part. Here is a link to their website, and i believe DDM is a vendor on NAM. http://www.ddmworks.com/mini/cooper_...ngine/ris.html

Sorry to sound like an advertisement lol.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 PM
SBrown712
Neutral
KHurley424,
Thanks for the info. That kit actually looks better than anything else I've seen. Now I have to see if I can't make that air tunnel and save myself some money, lol.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:24 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
A fellow welcome from the ATL!
MINI's are addictive..

Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 PM
PatM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SBrown712
I went to the Mini dealer yesterday looking to get info on ordering a Mini because I knew I wouldn't find what I wanted in stock. So I start talking to a salesman and look around as he plays with the computer. I spot this different shade of blue on a S model. For you BMW guys it reminds me a lot of Laguna Seca blue with metal flake in it. It was nothing like I originally wanted but I liked it.
I have a really bad back. I'm one of the lucky ones that surgery didn't fix. I was concerned about the seats as there is no lumbar adjustment. I ask the salesman about the possibility of a LONG test drive so I could see if I would be able to walk after a long drive. OK, a reasonably long drive. The salesman asks for my driver's license and insurance card. A few minutes later he walks up to me and hands me my stuff back and a key. He shows me to the car and says have fun. About an hour later I walk into the dealership and I could stand up straight with no problem.
So then the dickering begins on the car sitting in the show room. Yes, I realize I am rambling so I'll cut to the chase.
I ended up with a 2012 hard top S with an automatic. The color is called Kite Blue and as I understand that color is only available with the Bayswater Package. All of the package wasn't on the car though. I have a blue top and the stripe on the hood was left off. Both of those are fine with me since I didn't want a black roof anyway.
I went for a nice drive today and am happy with my choice. It will take some time to get used to front wheel drive as it's been a very long time since I've had a car with front wheel drive. The torque steer is pretty strong and the car reacts to steering input differently. Originally I wanted the sport package with the upgraded springs and sway bars but after driving the standard suspension I'm glad I didn't get those options. I may end up changing things later but for now it's good enough.
I'm glad I found this forum and I hope to learn a lot from you guys.

Very nice. I'm glad you have a Mini that suits you and your back. But like I tell everyone that is pictureless, until you put photos up so we can all see the car it really only exists in your imagination.

We need pictures.

Happy Motoring.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
SBrown712
Neutral
Thanks again everyone. I will post pics as soon as I can get some made.