1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too many red flags?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:23 AM
GreatRewards
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too many red flags?

Hi all. I'm considering an '07 S convertible (76K miles) at a local dealership. Their maintenance log when they inspected it includes a note saying "needs exhaust work". Any idea what that could indicate? What factors contribute to needing "exhaust work"?

Also, there's a small crack in the front bumper (plastic) and it looks like the metal plate it connects to is pushed in about 1/4" at that point. Looks like the driver might have bumped into a post or something.

There's a dime-sized chip in the windshield, minor visible damage to the leather on the driver's seat, and there's a thin silver "tray"-like thingy inside the engine (looks kinda like what you bake a turkey in) that has one corner bent.

I realize that most of this seems minor on the surface, but I'm wondering if, as a whole, it indicates a previous owner who didn't take very good care of his car.

Obviously I have no way of knowing if he used regular gas instead of premium, or regular oil instead of synthetic......

Am I seeing too many red flags? Or is this just an opportunity to talk the dealer down significantly on the price?

I appreciate any and all timely responses. Thanks!!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:32 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I couldn't view either link you posted - just took me to a forum login page. Don't feel like signing up at the moment, so I'll opine based just on what you posted here.

It sounds like quite a bit to deal with on this car. Some things can be fixed pretty easily (new windshield, exhaust work, etc.), others like damaged leather seats, not so much. Without seeing the price I don't know if what the seller is asking is high or not.

Do you really love this car? I mean love love LOVE it? If so, bid the price down based on what you know is wrong. If you get to a price you think is fair, spend $100-$175 of your money and take this car to a MINI dealer or independent mechanic for a PPI to find out more about what you might have to address. If there are that many things wrong that you can see, odds are there are more that you cannot.

Personally, I'd walk away & keep looking but that's just me. When I bought my MINI (pre-owned) I knew what I was dealing with, but nothing like your list and all issues known to R53s. Be smart & by all means have a PPI done before signing on the dotted line.

When the MINI bug bites it's hard to resist, but it's better to be patient & keep looking - eventually you'll find the MINI that's right for you. And when you do, there's nothing quite like it. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 12:12 PM
GreatRewards
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't put links in my post... The forum musta done that automatically.

This was the first Cooper I've ever driven, and I can confidently say I love love LOVE the MINI! There are a number of used ones available in my area, but very few of them are convertibles.

I'm not too concerned about the leather (almost didn't notice it) or the windshield (can get that repaired for nothing). The "exhaust work" referred to turns out to be a hole in the pipe. I can deal with that, too.

Even the bumper damage is very minor (I was quite thorough in my inspection) and I probably wouldn't bother fixing that.

Look at me... I sound like I'm trying to talk myself into it. hehe.

I found a local mechanic who specializes in German cars. They do PPIs for $200. I'll only do that if I convince myself that I want THIS car. Can't afford to PPI every car I inquire about.

Dealership is asking $17,900. KBB says that an "excellent" one is worth about $17,500. Obviously, I'd be talking the dealer down a LOT for this one (especially since my budget is somewhere in the $14k-$15K range (+ tax & license).

Old 04-24-2012, 12:15 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1!

Originally Posted by fridayxiii
I couldn't view either link you posted - just took me to a forum login page. Don't feel like signing up at the moment, so I'll opine based just on what you posted here.

It sounds like quite a bit to deal with on this car. Some things can be fixed pretty easily (new windshield, exhaust work, etc.), others like damaged leather seats, not so much. Without seeing the price I don't know if what the seller is asking is high or not.

Do you really love this car? I mean love love LOVE it? If so, bid the price down based on what you know is wrong. If you get to a price you think is fair, spend $100-$175 of your money and take this car to a MINI dealer or independent mechanic for a PPI to find out more about what you might have to address. If there are that many things wrong that you can see, odds are there are more that you cannot.

Personally, I'd walk away & keep looking but that's just me. When I bought my MINI (pre-owned) I knew what I was dealing with, but nothing like your list and all issues known to R53s. Be smart & by all means have a PPI done before signing on the dotted line.

When the MINI bug bites it's hard to resist, but it's better to be patient & keep looking - eventually you'll find the MINI that's right for you. And when you do, there's nothing quite like it. Good luck!

Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 373 Likes on 314 Posts
I vote for 'keep looking' too. If you do lock onto an R52 or R57 don't delay in getting the appropriate wind deflector. Make sure it's the right one, they are model specific. They are as, if not more, important to enjoying topless motoring as those other fiddly bits such as engines, wheel or even brakes.