1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love my new Mini!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:34 PM
ragingMINI
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my new Mini!

I just got my first Mini a little over a week ago! woohooo. 2008 Laser Blue MCS. I love every little bit of it, and since I've found this forums, it's made everything 10 times better!

I am going to a mechanic to have everything checked over under my 3rd party power train warranty soon to make sure it's completely solid. My question to you all: is there anything specific I should have the mechanic check over? I've read about timing chain tensioner problems, so I will definitely have him check that. Other than that issue, I haven't found much else about the r56 that I should be worried about.

Any tips from the pros would be awesome

Thanks guys!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Eddie07S
OVERDRIVE
Received 1,211 Likes on 941 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the community. Sounds like a really nice car. And glad you like NAM.

While I don't know that much about the issues with that year Mini, there are a number of people who do. Hope you get responses to your questions. It is great to be proactive about taking care of your new friend.

Old 04-24-2012, 04:29 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi saul8889,

I'm not a pro, but...

Make sure your MINI has gone through the Aux Water Pump Recall. If you don't have the paperwork from the previous owner you might want to try your local MINI dealership.

There is also an extended warranty on the HPFP to 10 years/120,000 mi. You might want to make sure it's in good shape, and if not that it's covered under the extended warranty (you can probably run the VIN number by a representative at 800-ASK-MINI to verify it's covered). Signs of a bad HPFP is extreme stumbling or stalling on a cold startup.

Other than those two major things, 08 MCS owners (like myself) complain of sunroofs that stick in hot weather conditions, and melted hood scoops due to the extreme temps the turbo produces. These are pretty easy to spot, but may not be covered under warranty.

I think those are the big ones. I'll post back if I think of anything else. Congratulations!

Old 04-24-2012, 04:50 PM
Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
4th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by callmesaul8889
I just got my first Mini a little over a week ago! woohooo. 2008 Laser Blue MCS. I love every little bit of it, and since I've found this forums, it's made everything 10 times better!
Welcome! Great color choice!

Old 04-24-2012, 07:26 PM
ragingMINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Llanrhaeadr_Cymru
Welcome! Great color choice!
Thanks! I love the blue. I've always wanted the laser blue S and I somehow found a used one right as I was car shopping. I had to jump on it

Old 04-24-2012, 07:32 PM
ragingMINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
Hi saul8889,

I'm not a pro, but...

Make sure your MINI has gone through the Aux Water Pump Recall. If you don't have the paperwork from the previous owner you might want to try your local MINI dealership.

There is also an extended warranty on the HPFP to 10 years/120,000 mi. You might want to make sure it's in good shape, and if not that it's covered under the extended warranty (you can probably run the VIN number by a representative at 800-ASK-MINI to verify it's covered). Signs of a bad HPFP is extreme stumbling or stalling on a cold startup.

Other than those two major things, 08 MCS owners (like myself) complain of sunroofs that stick in hot weather conditions, and melted hood scoops due to the extreme temps the turbo produces. These are pretty easy to spot, but may not be covered under warranty.

I think those are the big ones. I'll post back if I think of anything else. Congratulations!

Perfect... this is exactly what I was hoping to find: a list of regular issues with the 08 mini S.

As far as the melting hood scoop problem, I saw a metal fabricated piece for sale that redirects the airflow from the hoodscoop down over the turbo. Any experience with this piece? It seems like it would be an easy way to keep that turbo cooler by forcing the airflow right onto it instead of over top of it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
until you post pictures, we all just assume you're making this up.

pics or it didn't happen.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:50 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Perfect... this is exactly what I was hoping to find: a list of regular issues with the 08 mini S.

As far as the melting hood scoop problem, I saw a metal fabricated piece for sale that redirects the airflow from the hoodscoop down over the turbo. Any experience with this piece? It seems like it would be an easy way to keep that turbo cooler by forcing the airflow right onto it instead of over top of it.
If you're referring to the M7 Turbo Heat Shield, I've read good things about it. No personal experience with it, though, my scoop did melt but never to the point where the depression in the scoop really bothered me. I guess YMMV.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM
ragingMINI
3rd Gear
If you're referring to the M7 Turbo Heat Shield, I've read good things about it. No personal experience with it, though, my scoop did melt but never to the point where the depression in the scoop really bothered me. I guess YMMV.
I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Does it melt from high temperatures and regular driving, or just when you're really giving the turbo a workout?

Attached Thumbnails I love my new Mini!-img_0655.jpg   I love my new Mini!-img_0656.jpg  
Old 04-24-2012, 08:03 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
I'll just keep an eye on it for now. Does it melt from high temperatures and regular driving, or just when you're really giving the turbo a workout?
Regular driving during the late summer months is what really caused my scoop to melt a little, although I was never afraid of stepping on the right pedal, which might have also contributed

Old 04-24-2012, 08:21 PM
ragingMINI
3rd Gear
Regular driving during the late summer months is what really caused my scoop to melt a little, although I was never afraid of stepping on the right pedal, which might have also contributed
I hear you pal. I just got my K/N drop in panel filter today and WOW the turbo is really audible now. I can actually hear the BPV releasing between heavy shifts too. I love K/N..