1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How tough are BMW Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 08:47 PM
jimalameda
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How tough are BMW Wheels

So tonight I'm going to girlfriend's house in the Oakland Hills, raining, kinda dark and avoid two pots holes on the left side but too late I hit a pot hole on the right . I have black crown point wheels on run flats-felt like I hit something big with the run flats. Are the wheels tough and strong-weight on these? Anyone know. Acourse it was raining and the pot-holes fill with water. I guess I'll find another street to go up....but that one wheel. I wonder if it is shaped like an egg.

Last edited by jimalameda; 04-25-2012 at 08:49 PM. Reason: boo boo
Old 04-26-2012, 10:20 PM
jimalameda
2nd Gear
No thoughts about wheels and potholes...Anyone Ferris Bueler!!

Old 04-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Jim Michaels
5th Gear
Okay, I have some thoughts about wheels/tires and potholes; some of which may even be true.

Most cast alloy OEM MINI wheels are apparently fairly strong, and the run-flats have stiff sidewalls, which should provide more pothole protection than non-runflats. Also, the wider (taller) the sidewall, and the more air pressure in the tire, the less likely hitting a pothole is to bend a wheel.

The probability of bending a wheel also varies with the speed or force of impact, and the configuration (including depth) of the pothole.

You can do a rough check for roundness at home; first by eye-ball, then by measuring all around the rim from the exact center of the hub. But if it's barely bent, even careful measurements may not detect it. A tire shop can detect even slight bends, however.

Also carefully check your tire and suspension.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:01 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MINI wheels are heavy and tough. Hit a few potholes myself and no damage. Can't say the same for some aftermarket wheels.
Get yours checked if you any question about them. Wheels are pretty important. They are where the rubber meets the road.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:18 PM
jimalameda
2nd Gear
I figured the BMW wheels would be tougher then ones purchased and made from X&Y alloys. Being a mechanical engineer, I have seen some of the manufacturing processes in Mainland China.