1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Exciting and Frustrating Experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 06:05 PM
pezking6983
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An Exciting and Frustrating Experience

Hey everyone,

In April, I ordered a Lightning Blue (white roof/mirrors) Justa with the Sports Seats (w/ checker pattern). My lease for my Scion tC is ending by the beginning of June, so I was in the market for a new car. No more leasing for me.

I've always wanted a MINI and assumed they were out of my budget, but my fiancee took me to the closest dealer to check them out. Man, I am glad she took me! Once I drove it,I didn't bother to look or price any other cars. I instantly threw whatever money I had saved as a down payment and my car was ordered.

Within the next few weeks, I received my Production Order and excitedly watched as my MINI was produced. Once the MINI was scheduled for production, I noticed that the wrong seats were in the order box (leatherette).

Living in Georgia, I definitely do not want vinyl or leather seats in that insane heat. Well, I figured it was no big deal and tried to get a hold of my MA. He decided to dodge all of my calls/emails for a full week. When I finally got a hold of him, he snidely tried to get me off the phone as quick as possible and told me he would look into the seats. He then emailed me like a coward to tell me it was too late to fix the seats, with no reasoning or solution to his mistake.

I called a manager the next day and he gave me a bunch of BS answers to my questions. They would not admit the mistake, nor fix it. The manager said my only choice was to order another car or pick up seats covers. This angered me a lot, as it was almost insulting. I'd like to have the seats I ordered, not go to Autozone and buy cheap seat covers for my new car!

They have a car on the lot that is exactly what I ordered, but with some upgrades, meaning I would have to pay another 3k, which just isn't feasible for me right now. Plus, if I were to spend that kind of money, I would rather choose my upgrades. I tried to get them to give me that car for the price we agreed on, but no-go.

Well with that said, I have decided I could wait a little longer and get the seats I actually ordered. A new car will be ordered tomorrow and I will start the waiting game all over again. I'm excited to get behind my new car, but some of this negativity has hurt the experience a little. I'm sure once it gets closer to owning it, I will forget all about this nonsense and start motoring.

I know this is a way too long story! If you read it to the end, thank you for letting to get some of my frustration off my chest!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Ask for a detailed printout of the car's options after it is re-ordered. My dealer had me sign off on such a document.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds frustrating. The wait is horrible. I had to order twice to get what I wanted, but it was worth the wait.

You are wise.... as soon as you get in your new MINI, all the hassles will be forgotten.

Congratulations. MINIs are an obsession.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:01 PM
lilredjettdiwagon
1st Gear
As hsautocrosser mentioned, get your dealership manager to email you the vehicle inquiry report that stated your order number.....

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
That is frustrating. You are doing the right thing by waiting. Cloth and sport seats are the perfect combination. After owning several leather upholstered cars back to back, I didn't really want to "step down" to cloth, initially. The back story is that my car was a fixer-upper for which I paid $1,500, so I figured I could replace the seats with a junkyard leather set. Anyway, it didn't take too long to realize the virtues of the cloth, especially in a sporty car. Plus (and I don't know if the new cloth is the same), they are a lot more durable. My dogs are constantly in and out of the car, and I know leather would get beat in a hurry. Good luck, you will enjoy the car.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:28 AM
lisajt
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very frustrating I'm sure. Glad you have the patience to wait for what you want.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:11 PM
roadrage1
3rd Gear
Good call waiting, if you would have settled, you would have never been happy!!! Just me, but thnk I would try a different dealership!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 05:20 PM
powerbook76
2nd Gear
i would definitely have tried different dealer if it was possible.
with that said, i agree with most of these replys that you did well to wait for something exactly as you wanted it.
paying 3k more for something that wasn't what you ordered, would've just rewarded the dealer for making a mistake.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:34 PM
pezking6983
Banned
Thanks all for the replies. I'll give a call to the next closest dealer and see if they can match the price. I really would have liked the dealer to admit its mistake and throw in some fog lights or something in the new car for free.

Old 05-01-2012, 05:44 PM
roadrage1
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by pezking6983
Thanks all for the replies. I'll give a call to the next closest dealer and see if they can match the price. I really would have liked the dealer to admit its mistake and throw in some fog lights or something in the new car for free.
Just remember that if you stick with that dealer and need warranty work or something done, he already screwed ya once...... Think I would make a drive and start fresh somewhere else!!!!

Old 05-01-2012, 06:52 PM
WhoIsPurpleGoo
2nd Gear
it's already been said, but i'll say it again... go to another dealer.

you're the one handing over money. get what you want and get treated properly. i bought my car in september and i still go out of my way to swing by the dealer every so often because i was treated so well.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:40 PM
Charlie Victor
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll second the suggestion to check into another dealer. I drive past two or three other dealers to get to mine, and I've never been sorry. Of course, I'm in SoCal, where car dealers abound. I admire your willingness to wait for your car to be made right, and once it arrives, I think you'll be glad that you did. Good luck!

Old 05-01-2012, 07:45 PM
veggivet
6th Gear
Received 111 Likes on 96 Posts
You definitely made the right decision. Don't forget to complete the buyer satisfaction survey after you take delivery of the car. If you don't receive one from the dealer, make sure MINI USA hears about your experience. By the way, cloth seats are the way to go!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:00 PM
pezking6983
Banned
I'm not sure if I made the best decision. It has been about a month since I reordered and the dealer is telling me 8-10 weeks to go.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Notawagonwife
2nd Gear
It will be worth the wait. Frustrating though. Make sure you let Mini USA know how you were treated. They will take it seriously even if the dealer does not. I never was never able to watch the progress on my car because the Dealer sent it to the wrong email. I was told 8-10 weeks and my Mini came in about 6 weeks. It was a surprise. I hope you will get a good surprise too! You certainly deserve it. Hang in there.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:38 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
Pez, sorry to hear your trouble, but it will be worth it to get what you want. Which dealer are you dealing with, north side or south side?
My dealer told me 6-8, and I got mine (coupe) in 7. I wouldn't think 8-10 weeks (?)

Old 05-31-2012, 03:38 AM
pezking6983
Banned
Originally Posted by socouper
Pez, sorry to hear your trouble, but it will be worth it to get what you want. Which dealer are you dealing with, north side or south side?
My dealer told me 6-8, and I got mine (coupe) in 7. I wouldn't think 8-10 weeks (?)
I'm dealing with Mini of South Atlanta. I was told 8-10 weeks on top of my 4 weeks I've already been waiting for the 2nd time we had to order a car. The first car my MA ordered had the wrong seats, so we reordered with (hopefully ) the right specs. We reordered on 4/28.

I've called the manager and tried to work with him. They have a car that matches my specs, including the seats, but has the cold winter package and some other add-ons. He told me he would sell me the car, but I would have to pay another 3k from out agreement. This dealer has 5 stars for customer service, but IMO they suck ***.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:07 AM
DrewN
6th Gear
MINI USA and their dealerships are big on those surveys, you get one (as well as a phone call I think) a short time after delivery. When the time comes makes sure you share your experiences, and make sure you check off the box that says you want both the General Manager and MINI Corporate to contact you. I have a good feeling that if they're unresponsive now, they will be after you rate them and corporate finds out. GL.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:15 AM
pezking6983
Banned
Originally Posted by DrewN
MINI USA and their dealerships are big on those surveys, you get one (as well as a phone call I think) a short time after delivery. When the time comes makes sure you share your experiences, and make sure you check off the box that says you want both the General Manager and MINI Corporate to contact you. I have a good feeling that if they're unresponsive now, they will be after you rate them and corporate finds out. GL.
Awesome advice. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:56 AM
socouper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pezking6983
I'm dealing with Mini of South Atlanta. I was told 8-10 weeks on top of my 4 weeks I've already been waiting for the 2nd time we had to order a car. The first car my MA ordered had the wrong seats, so we reordered with (hopefully ) the right specs. We reordered on 4/28.

I've called the manager and tried to work with him. They have a car that matches my specs, including the seats, but has the cold winter package and some other add-ons. He told me he would sell me the car, but I would have to pay another 3k from out agreement. This dealer has 5 stars for customer service, but IMO they suck ***.
That's who I used, and had a great experience. Like others have said, I had to sign off on the Vehicle Inquiry Report at the time I ordered, and again when I made a change before the car went into production, and the Motoring Mgr, me, and my MA spent about a half hour or more getting everything right. Which MINI did you order, as their available slots for that specific model comes into play as to the length of the production time, it took 3 weeks from order to production for my coupe.

I've got the leatherette, and so far it's not too hot, but of course I also thought about the cloth too being here.

Unfortunately sounds like the MA made an error, ( is he still there?)but you caught it before the car arrived, and can reorder. I had always settled in the past and bought off the lot, getting what you want is certainly better and more satisfying. Dispite the trouble, it will be worth it.

Like others have said, you will get surveys, I think I have done 2 so far, plus emails from 3 different people there, and follow up calls and emails, so they do listen, and they should care.