1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member in MN

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 11:34 AM
Aaron_S
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Member in MN

Though I don't have a Mini, I'm looking at one.
I currently have a Stage 3 SRT4 that I'm looking to sell to get an R53. Due to me wanting to get more into auto crossing and road racing, the SRT4 doesn't have the turning radius that I would like.
What I'm wondering is if there are any problems with these cars?
I have started to read the ULTIMATE R53 Newbie thread and seen that some common problems are PS Pump, TStat Housing, Coolant expansion tank, Oil pan gasket, and Mushrooming shock towers but how often are these a problem? Also is there anything else that is known to go bad?
The car I'm looking at is out of state in Connecticut with 112,000 miles.
Here's a link to the car:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1
I'm not set on this car but it is the year and price range that I'm looking at.
Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Or if anyone knows anyone selling an R53 for less that $10,000 with decent miles let me know

Last edited by Aaron_S; 05-05-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:03 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Last summer I sold my 2002 Pure Silver MCS with 78K miles on it for $8000. I think you can do better in regards to mileage for that price range.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:09 PM
Aaron_S
Neutral
That's what I was thinking as well. Like I said, I'm not set on that one. Just one that I seen while browsing through the cars for sale. I would like it if the price was a little lower.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a typical dealer price. They will do a nice job cleaning up the car so you will have trouble telling if it was a rat that they cleaned up or was a well taken care of car that they did not have much to do to. I would encourage a private sale in order to get the "full" story regarding the car, especially if you are looking at cars that are 75K miles and higher.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Aaron_S
Neutral
Yea, that's understandable. More than likely won't be going with that due to it being across the country and I have no way really of telling how the car is without me going there to check it out.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:38 PM
fatboy97
3rd Gear
If you do purchase a Mini, then we welcome you to the Mini family. If it was me I'd have to see if I could find one locally, even if I had to wait a little while our save a little more and buy one for a little more money... just to be sure I could check it out properly.... but it's up to you.

Hope you find what you want.

Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Aaron_S
Neutral
Yea I would never buy a car without looking at it first which is why I most likely wouldn't get the one I posted.
My car is currently on Craigslist, so hopefully it sells here quickly. I posted the car at a decent price for mileage as well as aftermarket parts.
I'm actually talking to sranderle here on the forums who has his for sale in Minneapolis which is only 2 hours from me. I'm hoping I get my car sold relatively soon so I can go and check his out and possibly buy it.
Also there is an '03 here in my town with 90,000 miles for 8,200.
Is it true that '05's were the first year with the LSD or did I read that wrong?

Last edited by Aaron_S; 05-05-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:34 AM
fatboy97
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aaron_S
Is it true that '05's were the first year with the LSD or did I read that wrong?
Sorry, I'm fairly new to following Mini... what is this LSD, short for something other than the drug?

Old 05-06-2012, 07:59 AM
Aaron_S
Neutral
LSD is a limited slip differential.
I also read that the '05s had a slightly increased supercharger as well as slight modifications to the engine?
Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?