1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing for 1 year to avoid emission controls

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:31 AM
memphisdelli
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Importing for 1 year to avoid emission controls

Hi

My son is the mini driver but I'm the banker.
He is applying for a 1 year work visa and I am considering shipping over his 2004 mini for that period. The customs rules state:
Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty-free for personal use up to (1) one year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival. Vehicles imported under this provision that do not conform to U.S. safety and emission standards must be exported within one year and may not be sold in the U.S. There is no exemption or extension of the export requirements.

Does anyone have experience of this procedure or any advice for or against?
What about obtaining a drivers license and insurance?
What about long-term car hire at a reasonable price?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 AM
gfiad2
1st Gear
You pretty much summed it up on your post. You'll have to export it within the one year, no exceptions. Is it a British car? The only draw back I could see with that, besides the expense of shipping back and forth and hiring a customs broker/ freight forwarder, is if the steering wheel is on the wrong side, it could be difficult/dangerous to overtake.

As for the driver's license, it probably depends on the state. Some states let you drive on a foreign or international driver's license for the first few months. It's pretty easy and cheap to get a license in the US though. He may need to show some utility bills with his name on it for the last three months to prove he is residing in that state.

What state is he going to?

Old 06-07-2012, 03:32 AM
memphisdelli
Neutral
Thanks for the reply.
He's going to be in the Florida Keys and he simply needs to commute between Tavernier and Key Largo, a trip of 6 or 7 miles.
Long-term car hire looks very expensive. Would buying a banger be an idea? Any ideas on the cost of insurance - he's 27.
It's a UK mini one convertible and a LHD, but he won't be going through tolls so no real problems envisaged.
The shipping company would deliver to Jacksonville so he would need to go and collect it or pay a delivery fee.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:49 AM
gfiad2
1st Gear
I have spent a bit of time in the Keys. It's a lot of two lane highway driving to get from on Key to another. And depending on how your son drives, he might be doing a lot of passing of slower cars. That's pretty dangerous in a car with the wheel on the wrong side. It's hard to see oncoming cars. Also, insurance is going to be high in Florida.

If I were you, I would look into buying a beater for the year that he's there.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
a lot of people in that part of the Keys would just ride a bicycle or a scooter!

Insurance cost depends in a large part on the amount of coverage and driving history ... previous comment probably applies!

buying a 'banger' is a resonable option, Florida is pretty easy so far a registration/tags but do look into the NEW rules for getting a drivers license - what is required in terms of documents has increased significantly 1 Jan 2010

http://www.flhsmv.gov/html/dlnew.html

Old 06-10-2012, 07:09 AM
TonyCheckraise
4th Gear
My chief concern would be getting the vehicle insured. I'm assuming LHD means Left hand drive? So that's not a big deal. What I would be most worried about is local insurance companies not wanting to insure it because it doesn't "meet current US safety regulations" being that is a UK spec mini... It will most definitely be cheaper to get him a small old car locally.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:31 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Don't discount buying a CPO MINI, and selling it after the year is up. Even after paying finance charges, taxes, and depreciation, it might wind up being cheaper than the two way boat trip for the 2004. I have no idea what that would cost, but I spent about $1,000 the last time I had a classic shipped coast to coast. Plus you never know if this work thing will actually be a year or not. It might be only a few months, or could drag out a bit.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:20 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Strongly recommend storing/selling the car...and getting a different one for stateside use.
Longterm rentals are $$, just as leases are, but for a couple $3-5 k, a very reasonible car can be had, getting 80% back at sale...so much lower than just shipping costs..

Also no saying one might go And party, but getting into a car with the wheel on one side, driving home on the other side of the street one is accomostomed too might be a bit of an issue...as are not being able to use atms, drive throughs, parking garages, etc, that all utilize drivers side exterior items......