1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 01:40 PM
WinstonAllegheneyIII
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 2013 benz on order and my dealer has told me the same thing - my car is at Benz's VDC waiting August 1 release. Is this a European thing?

Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
Interesting. With the exception of one MB model, it doesn't look like they've got their EPA testing in order either.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:16 PM
VRRUUMM
2nd Gear
My coupe arrived in Baltimore today. When I checked the WW site it said CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 26-07-2012 00:00:00.

How does it get to New Jersey? Train? How long does it take? I ordered the JCW body kit and stripes. I think those get done at the VDC, as well.

Old 07-26-2012, 02:22 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by VRRUUMM
My coupe arrived in Baltimore today. When I checked the WW site it said CUSTOMS RELEASE WOODCLIFF LAKE, NJ 26-07-2012 00:00:00.

How does it get to New Jersey? Train? How long does it take? I ordered the JCW body kit and stripes. I think those get done at the VDC, as well.
It doesn't go to Jersey. They send the paperwork through before the ship even hits the states. Mine cleared customs in Jersey two days before th ship hit Baltimore.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
soon2b
2nd Gear
Here's hoping all the new minis waiting at the dock are soon underway (or, if yours is like mine, it left LONG before askmini updated - as in DAYS before, on a K Line ship)

Now, mine should be at the VDC in Brunswick, GA - as the ship got in last night & is supposed to be in Charleston tomorrow.

Here's to our little jailee's getting parole VERY soon!

Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
meh in chicago
Neutral
Dealer told us this weekend that mini was going to hold 2013's at port for at least 2-3 weeks as they still have too many 2012. Ours arrived in port yesterday, anyone else hear this? Or get their promised car?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:33 PM
tab
2nd Gear
No eta on mini releasing the cars from the VDC.
Perhaps a campaign from all of us waiting for Mini to do the right thing will push them along a little bit

Originally Posted by meh in chicago
Dealer told us this weekend that mini was going to hold 2013's at port for at least 2-3 weeks as they still have too many 2012. Ours arrived in port yesterday, anyone else hear this? Or get their promised car?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
strgzr3745
2nd Gear
2-3 weeks?!?!!?! I'm hoping that the Mini's are being held due to EPA issues and not this. I can understand MiniUSA/dealers not wanting to put 2013s on the lot when there are still a ton of 2012s left sitting there, but I don't understand how giving the 2013s to the customers who have been waiting 9+ weeks for them, could in any statistically significant way affect their ability to sell the remaining 2012s. Maybe there's another perspective I'm not considering?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 PM
minibered2013
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by strgzr3745
2-3 weeks?!?!!?! I'm hoping that the Mini's are being held due to EPA issues and not this. I can understand MiniUSA/dealers not wanting to put 2013s on the lot when there are still a ton of 2012s left sitting there, but I don't understand how giving the 2013s to the customers who have been waiting 9+ weeks for them, could in any statistically significant way affect their ability to sell the remaining 2012s. Maybe there's another perspective I'm not considering?
I hope what you are saying is not true. Having customers wait an additional two- three weeks seems to be a bad business model. If this was going to be the plan, they should not have allowed for customers to order the July model. Now if it is just an EPA hold up that is perfectly fine, but intentionally holding the vehicles past an EPA inspection for the purpose of sells will not bode over well for future customers ordering vehicles. Mini cannot forget that many of their sells come for custom ordered vehicles. I guess we shall see what happens. I hope that all who are waiting receive their vehicles shortly after the first of August.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
I hope this is not true. 2 to 3 weeks should not make a difference to MiniUSA or the dealers. If this is true I'm starting to sour a little bit on MiniUSA. The dealers and MiniUSA have all the latest sales figures... If they have a surplus across the country then delay the sales of the new year model so you keep your existing and new customer base happy ... ie in the dark! If we do not perceive an issue, there is no second guessing.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
I hate being right! But at least your dealer was being honest with you.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 PM
minibered2013
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
It is not right, until it actually happens. I am not trying to say anything against you. I am trying to see the glass half full while I still can. Let's hope, and again nothing against you, that you are wrong and that they will be releasing the new MINIs soon-- or at least the ordered ones.

Until then, popcorn anyone?

Old 07-26-2012, 07:58 PM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
Got to give props to Rev... He called it all the way! Refreshing the dealer stepped up and told it straight.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 PM
brontë
1st Gear
Popcorn here!

Old 07-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minibered2013
It is not right, until it actually happens. I am not trying to say anything against you. I am trying to see the glass half full while I still can. Let's hope, and again nothing against you, that you are wrong and that they will be releasing the new MINIs soon-- or at least the ordered ones.

Until then, popcorn anyone?
By "right" I meant that the reason was the surplus of leftover 2012 models being the reason for the hold. I really want the release to be ASAP as I'm too old to be acting like a kid waiting for Santa to come.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 PM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
I'm going down to the dealer to meet with the GM tomorrow to discuss the situation and try to get the straight story. They claim to have gotten a letter from corporate explaining the situation, hopefully they will share it. If I can I will try to get contact information for their corporate office to contact them directly.

I'm fairly inclined to believe them that the issue is with corporate failing to get the EPA certification done. While I did have one dealer push hard on getting a pre-ordered 2012 instead of a custom 2013, in general businesses do not profit by delaying receivables. Many of us have made trade-in deals, and while they sit on our new cars we are running up the mileage on their soon to be used cars. If the issue was surplus 2013 stock on the lots, there are other ways of dealing with the problem that don't include burning good will and stifling their revenues.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 PM
strgzr3745
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jeffs2
Many of us have made trade-in deals, and while they sit on our new cars we are running up the mileage on their soon to be used cars.
...And others of us have sold our cars, expecting to have our new Mini's in 2 weeks rather than 4-5 weeks

Old 07-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
The whole EPA SNAFU lacks credulity because there was absolutely no change in the engine/drivetrain from '12 to '13 -- at least not on the Coupe or Roadster.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:26 PM
MIDLYF
2nd Gear
Tracking??

Originally Posted by soon2b
These are all built-to-order vehicles. The turnaround time from when I placed my order (6/28) until the finished product reaches my port of arrival (7/25) is pretty freaking amazing. I fully anticipated a 6-7 week wait for arrival to US. So, if it takes another 2.5 weeks until I can take delivery - it's still a bonus.

MIDLYF: The Florida Highway has an ETA into Brunswick, GA of 0950 UTC on 7/25. The ship is near Wilmington, NC at this moment. WOOHOO! Your Roadster and my Justa are just about ready to reach their own version of Ellis Island.
I have not seen an update on location since the 24th what site are using to track? I guess it does matter as soon we get off the boat looks like we go on lockdown until we hear otherwise. She is close but yet sooooo far away.
I am going to Vegas 9-12 with my luck she will show up while I am gone

Old 07-26-2012, 09:59 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
The whole EPA SNAFU lacks credulity because there was absolutely no change in the engine/drivetrain from '12 to '13 -- at least not on the Coupe or Roadster.
Not according to Motor Trends. They say they all receive more fuel efficient engines for 2013, but still have the same HP. They also show that an automatic has been added to the JCWs.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:53 AM
Tarbot
2nd Gear
Just got conformation that I'm booked on the Don Juan! Est arrival in NY (NJ) is 8/8...

Now lets hope this EPA / 2012 Overstock delay issue will be resolved by then!

Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tarbot
Just got conformation that I'm booked on the Don Juan! Est arrival in NY (NJ) is 8/8...

Now lets hope this EPA / 2012 Overstock delay issue will be resolved by then!
Tarbot, I wish I could get some info! I keep checking the WW site and still nothing comes up. I just want to know that I'm on a boat!

Congrats to you on your baby finding a ride.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:20 AM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
Was thinking the same thing, however the EPA spot checks 10% of the vehicles. Even if there is no change, would the EPA still want to see it for themselves? Given the number of models/variants from Mini, certainly one of their cars needs to be spot checked. If Mini didn't plan ahead, could the test vehicles have been coming over with ours on the boats? This is also the year the EPA is changing the labels and new information is provided...it might be possible they need new tests to be done.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:32 AM
skylinezx
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GreyNation
Tarbot, I wish I could get some info! I keep checking the WW site and still nothing comes up. I just want to know that I'm on a boat!

Congrats to you on your baby finding a ride.
Grey, I'm still with you. NOTHING on the WW site yet! Our hoodlums are off raising hell somewhere in Southampton instead of standing in line for a boat!

Old 07-27-2012, 07:18 AM
GreyNation
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by skylinezx
Grey, I'm still with you. NOTHING on the WW site yet! Our hoodlums are off raising hell somewhere in Southampton instead of standing in line for a boat!
I guess so. Leave it to mine to start trouble and miss his boat. Maybe he heard about his buddies being in jail over here and decided he was going to break out. TROUBLEMAKER!

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group