1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 AM
///Chris
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ha! How cool, our cars really are twins! Out of the 'birth canal' right after one another.

Now I'll always be the older twin.

Originally Posted by seabeast
Ha, in addition to our MINIs having almost identical builds, we also have sequential VIN numbers! Mine is WMWSV3C58DT477568, differing only in the last and check digits.

I'm a little bummed yours was first.

I'm guessing they cluster cars by paint color, so this probably is less of a coincidence than it seems.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:18 AM
///Chris
2nd Gear
I think the first letter is the origin country of the manufacturer. My BMW has a W there as well, but it's WBA rather than WMW. There are a couple of VIN deciphering programs out there, but most of the info is for the first gen minis.

A little odd though with Minis having a W - because cars made in the US start with 1, and cars made in Mexico start with 3 - I know that well because we had a Chevy Suburban and it had a bunch of problems. The GM tech said that since our VIN started with a 3, it was made in their Mexico factory and the quality was significantly lower there. He suggested for the next car making sure we got one "made in the good ole USA" by looking for the "1". This was back in the 90's though, so I have no idea if all production was moved to Mexico or not by now. So my company origin theory goes out the window in that case, but US regs might just be different, or it was a way for Chevy to differentiate between cars themselves. BMW doesn't have that problem since they don't split production of the same car between factories.

bmwvindecoder.net works, even though its purpose is to sell vehicle history reports. They are able to determine that the car is a 2013 MINI Cooper S with a 1.6 requiring premium unleaded fuel with a manual trans, so that's probably what the letters mean - one for Cooper/Conv/Coupe/Roadster/CM, one for Auto/Manual, one for...something else!

Originally Posted by weaf27
Chris, I thought I'd have some spare time in my life after selling one of my businesses but you obviously have a lot more. Thank you for finding out all this great information as I am one of those that loves to know the method to the madness and find the VIN info very interesting. I wonder if the first letter is more for where the highest percentage of parts come from if the Countryman are built in Germany as our Minis are currently built in England unless W is England? I haven't seen a Countryman VIN yet.

I wonder if there is an application out there (on the net) that deciphers VINs? I used to have an app that I could put some basic info in about you and it would tell me your FL Drivers Lic #,.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:34 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Wow, you must have a really great MA to volunteer to do that for you.

-Brett, feeling cranky that his MINI is sitting in Southamptom...
Hahahahah Brett, you should be a comedian!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:38 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
OK Chris and Seabeast...I am REALLY impressed. So I can list tons of cars with Cargo IDs but how do I see my car sitting at the port? And Seabeast, every 3 mins !!! D@mn!
I'm a computer guy by trade but not at writing python scripts or anything else beyond basic VBS and Batches. I'd love to have a script like that just to check once an hour or even ever few hours. WMWSU9C50DT722126 This is all I have until my baby is home.

I even searched the Internet (I know this may sound easy bit better than most with all the crazy word groupings I use as I have a decent background in SEO (trained two people that now do it full time as their day jobs, funny I train them and they got the jobs ) for Web Cams and Security Cameras accessible by the public to see the cars sitting at port but no luck.

WARNING: I put my VIN in but don't click on it as NAM tries to decode it and the webpage just hangs. At least it does that to me.
I clicked on your vin and ran a script and now your vehicle is being sent to me!! Awesome Teeheeheehee

-feeling a bit fiesty this morning!

Old 02-05-2013, 09:40 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Chris
On the VIN topic - here's what I've been able to ascertain:

WMWSV3C56DT477567 - typical VIN. Happens to be mine.

First three characters identify the manufacturer:

W - Built in Germany
M - it's a Mini
W - Company specific identifier

Next numbers give model specifics:

S - from what I can tell, second gen Mini (first gens had an R here, S is logically after R)
V - Model? What I read online said that this specified the model for first-gen minis. I'm a Cooper S. My wife's Justa has a U, however, and so is Weaf's JCW. So it must be something else. On the WW site, I've found S, U, R, W, X, Y, and V
3 - Not sure. The first-gen info said that 1 was for diesel and 3 for gas, but Weaf has a 9, my wife's Justa and my MCS have a 3. Perhaps it's because he has a JCW? I've seen 1, 3, 5, 7, 9. Of all the cars loaded on the Gentle Leader, none had a 5 - but there were 5's on cars headed elsewhere.
C - Unknown. Sources seem to think this specifies US destined car. Every car loaded on the Gentle Leader had a C here.
5 - Safety restraint info (cars pre-2005 had a 4)
6 - Checksum digit
D - Model Year (2010 = A, '11 = B, '12 = C, '13 = D; 2001-2009 cars used 1-9)
T - Plant of Origin

Last six are the serial number:

477567 - vehicle serial number - I know that something in here is unique to each model, because you can give RealOEM the last 7 of your VIN and it will get your specific model based on that. For my car, RealOEM only recognized up to VIN T477023 - which must be the final car in the MCS 11/2012 production month.

For reference - my Wife's '12 Justa - Auto, sunroof, base. WMWSU3C5XCT539991

I'm surprised there's not more info out there about this...!
Goodness, I am impressed!!!
So what does my Z stand for?
WMWZP3C57DT297572

Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM
///Chris
2nd Gear
Maybe convertible? It still doesn't explain why a JCW HT and a Justa HT are both U, while the HT S is a V...

Well, I was reading the wrong position - I honestly have no idea what a Z in that position means! I'll do some more digging.

Originally Posted by gilmoregirls999
Goodness, I am impressed!!!
So what does my Z stand for?
WMWZP3C57DT297572

Last edited by ///Chris; 02-05-2013 at 09:53 AM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:49 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I'm guessing they cluster cars by paint color, so this probably is less of a coincidence than it seems.
Nope- MINI doesn't batch produce cars. It's more likely that the dealer allocations were close together.

Old 02-05-2013, 09:52 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Maybe convertible? It still doesn't explain why a JCW HT and a Justa HT are both U, while the HT S is a V...

Nope, I was reading the wrong position - I honestly have no idea what a Z in that position means! I'll do some more digging.
My edumacated guess was convetible too.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:03 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Ha, in addition to our MINIs having almost identical builds, we also have sequential VIN numbers! Mine is WMWSV3C58DT477568, differing only in the last and check digits.

I'm a little bummed yours was first.

That is too cool to know who owns the car that was right in front or behind yours, too cool!

Old 02-05-2013, 10:14 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
We need to find the website the port uses. The program we are looking to interface with is called ePortation and it is used by most Ports to track inbound and outbound products including cars.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:15 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
We need to find the website the port uses. The program we are looking to interface with is called ePortation and it is used by most Ports to track inbound and outbound products including cars.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
blknblu
3rd Gear
Think you guys should just hack WW and have all the boats diverted to your port, except mine of course...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:19 AM
seabeast
2nd Gear
Painted in order of greatness

Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Nope- MINI doesn't batch produce cars. It's more likely that the dealer allocations were close together.
Yes, I know they don't batch them in the sense of "this week we build Pepper White". But I was speculating that if they have, for example, twenty Pepper White and two Spice Orange MINIs to build, they might do the Spice Orange cars first and then all four Pepper Whites together, in order to minimize the number of times they have to flush the paint system while changing colors, and also because Spice Orange is best.

But I did watch the fascinating video about the MINI factory, where it's pointed out that they use the same painting stations for all colors and the production system automatically loads up the proper color as each MINI arrives to get painted. So maybe their painting system doesn't have to do anything special when changing colors and the build order is totally unaffected by color.

-Brett

Old 02-05-2013, 11:22 AM
///Chris
2nd Gear
...and also because Spice Orange is best.
Excellent point.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Yes, I know they don't batch them in the sense of "this week we build Pepper White". But I was speculating that if they have, for example, twenty Pepper White and two Spice Orange MINIs to build, they might do the Spice Orange cars first and then all four Pepper Whites together, in order to minimize the number of times they have to flush the paint system while changing colors, and also because Spice Orange is best.

But I did watch the fascinating video about the MINI factory, where it's pointed out that they use the same painting stations for all colors and the production system automatically loads up the proper color as each MINI arrives to get painted. So maybe their painting system doesn't have to do anything special when changing colors and the build order is totally unaffected by color.

-Brett
I've been to the factory - they don't do any batching. It truly is a first in first out system with no adjustments made for color or destination country...

Old 02-05-2013, 11:39 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Excellent point.
Woaha hold onto your pumpkins boys.....Chili Red is the best!!!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Lady_May
2nd Gear
You know you all will be drooling for my brilliant copper when she finally gets here.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
weaf27
4th Gear
Color and speed

Originally Posted by gilmoregirls999
Woaha hold onto your pumpkins boys.....Chili Red is the best!!!!!
WAIT...WAIT! We've already been through this but to help clarify.

Chili Red is the fastest
Lightning Blue is the 2nd fastest
Spice Orange is just an overheated Chili Red needing to cool down a bit so speed would be comparable to the Chili Red.
In other news I found out my Midnight Black has the ability to teleport anywhere within a reasonable range each night at the stroke of midnight.

Also found out why my Mini missed her boat...I wasn't in 3rd gear yet.

Last edited by weaf27; 02-05-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:39 PM
///Chris
2nd Gear
The ASK-MINI autobot just told me that my vehicle is at the port, waiting for the ship with no shipping info yet. One step closer!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:40 PM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear

Chili Red is the fastest
Spice Orange is just an overheated Chili Red needing to cool down a bit so speed would be comparable to the Chili Red.
In other news I found out my Midnight Black has the ability to teleport anywhere within a reasonable range each night at the stroke of midnight.

lmao
I love this thread!

Old 02-05-2013, 01:43 PM
///Chris
2nd Gear
Ha! So...what about BRG?

Chili Red is the fastest

Old 02-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Lady_May
2nd Gear
Woah woah, Statue of Liberty is made of copper, therefore brilliant copper is where it's at. Lady Liberty boys, winning. Boooya!!!

Old 02-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Kimpossible
2nd Gear

Chili Red is the fastest

How about Reef Blue? Besides being ridiculously expensive...

Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 PM
///Chris
2nd Gear
Reef Blue is really a great color. I love unique colors...

Originally Posted by Kimpossible
How about Reef Blue? Besides being ridiculously expensive...

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Kimpossible
2nd Gear
- on it, it says that my expected ship (the Tombarra) is scheduled to leave on the 10th at 2100UTC. It's also the only ship leaving Southampton for the Panama Canal on the current schedule, so that is the next ship to the US west coast. It isn't scheduled to show up until 0730UTC on the 10th - so they are going to fully load and leave in one day. Here's a list of all live info that the port of Southampton makes available:

Wait! Is it me, or does the date that the Tombarra leaves Southampton keep changing? First it was the 12th, then the 11th and now the 10th? I hope my baby makes it with a production date of the 7th. I'm not sure how long it will lag getting trained to port and then checked in.
Keeping my fingers crossed. This is agonizing.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group