1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
ponyup
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gilmoregirls999
Ponyup, I too am on the Gentle Leader. Today marks my 92nd day in waiting. This wait has been harder than pregnancy!!!
Hi there Gilmoregirls999--
OMG--it certainly has been quite the wait for you! Hang tight, before you know it, the journey will be over and you'll be embarking on your very own elated "journey" called Bliss... How in the world did you manage to get a MINI to drive in the interim? Hahaha--we're still driving our '84 VOLVO. So after a couple of years of debating, searching and test driving, it will be a good feeling to finally drive a vehicle that' is dependable, MPG friendly, and fun to drive. Anticipation...

Ready2roll,

Old 02-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Kimpossible
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dog Boy
Thanks Kimpossible. We'll see what happens. Say Hi to Ronstoppable.
Ha! Will do!!

Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM
Kimpossible
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jolly Rancher
That's terrific news! Congrats!

Ours is on the Gentle Leader, which I see was just south of Puerto Vallarta earlier today. It's not due into Port Hueneme until the 27th, and it has San Diego listed as its next port of call. Getting excited and wish it would hurry up! Of course, after the VDC at Port Hueneme, it does then have to be put on a transporter and trucked up to Seattle. You might have yours by then!
Thank you Jolly Rancher! I'm stoked! I hope you see yours before I see mine. It's only fair. I have till the 20th and then VDC, then transport, then installation of the stripes and stubby antenna. I'm thinking the 25th or 26th for me. Of course I may stalk the dealer to see if I can get a sneak peak before they do the installs.
Congrats and a speedy delivery to you!
Kim

Old 02-22-2013, 09:55 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ponyup
Hi there Gilmoregirls999--
OMG--it certainly has been quite the wait for you! Hang tight, before you know it, the journey will be over and you'll be embarking on your very own elated "journey" called Bliss... How in the world did you manage to get a MINI to drive in the interim? Hahaha--we're still driving our '84 VOLVO. So after a couple of years of debating, searching and test driving, it will be a good feeling to finally drive a vehicle that' is dependable, MPG friendly, and fun to drive. Anticipation...

Ready2roll,
Well, I was first promised my Mini by 02/06 - once we realized it was never going to get here by then, and after abunch of moaning and groaning, bitching and whinning, they gave me a loaner on 02/06.

It's better than the rental Fiat I was driving. Fiat's SUCK BTW! lol

Old 02-22-2013, 10:19 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Honestly I was stunned when I ran the numbers from Geico and saw the difference....

I don't plan on doing any of the Extanded Warranty, Maintenance or Protection Plans of any sort when we take delivery of the MINI...
I was going to save up my money for the Extended Warranty from BMW/Mini as it has gotten great reviews but I figured I had 4 yrs to nest egg the $4k but after everything I have read on NAM I would never buy any extended warranties or maintenance programs from any dealer at the time of delivery unless they gave it to me for FREE.

And now with the awesome information you gave me (knowledge is power) I will be saving a bundle on both the warranty had I chosen to buy it and on any major repairs for the next 7 years!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by weaf27
I was going to save up my money for the Extended Warranty from BMW/Mini as it has gotten great reviews but I figured I had 4 yrs to nest egg the $4k but after everything I have read on NAM I would never buy any extended warranties or maintenance programs from any dealer at the time of delivery unless they gave it to me for FREE.

And now with the awesome information you gave me (knowledge is power) I will be saving a bundle on both the warranty had I chosen to buy it and on any major repairs for the next 7 years!
I have Geico also. I'm definitely looking into this!

Old 02-22-2013, 10:28 AM
gilmoregirls999
4th Gear
Originally Posted by weaf27

So, I have USAA insurance --- do you have to have Geico to get purchase a warranty from them? I guess I am baffled at this --- really? Geico $499 and dealer $4,000? WOW

Old 02-22-2013, 10:29 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tex6 Hawkeye
I have Geico also. I'm definitely looking into this!
The only restriction I saw so far is that you have to buy it within the first 15 months / 15,000 miles. From everything I've read so far I am just buying it within the first 48 hours of taking delivery as I don't want to forget to get it later.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
So, I have USAA insurance --- do you have to have Geico to get purchase a warranty from them? I guess I am baffled at this --- really? Geico $499 and dealer $4,000? WOW
USAA has their own plan that I believe is similarly priced.

We were with USAA until we moved out to Ohio and then we re-quoted with Geico and they were A LOT cheaper... Not sure if it was an OH thing or if Geico just lowered their rates...

Old 02-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
USAA has their own plan that I believe is similarly priced.

We were with USAA until we moved out to Ohio and then we re-quoted with Geico and they were A LOT cheaper... Not sure if it was an OH thing or if Geico just lowered their rates...
Correct, USAA has their own plan as well. As for quotes, it depends on a lot of factors really. Plus some companies will quote a cheap price to get you on board.

After my Blazer rolled 7 years ago, and USAA forgave the accident and ended up paying out 4K more than the truck was worth KBB, and some other factors to credit cards, multiple plans through USAA etc, it would take a huge huge savings for me to switch. They just are more understanding of the Military lifestyle than any insurance/bank I have ever dealt with.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I was with Progressive Insurance company, but found out about the CEO or at least the guy that started this company in his political views are very much like 1956 Russia. Including his views on Christmas. Another story, but I switched to GEICO and yes, they did throw a nice price at me, and it has gone up in the past two years, but like $2.00 s month, maybe. I pay $79. per month for my JCW hatch and my wife's 2008 Jeep Liberty. I can't complain one bit about GEICO, no to Progressive.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Flyinghippo
2nd Gear
Athens Highway is projecting their arrival time in Brunswick at 5:15 AM. My MA called today and said that since my car was labeled "a purchase", it would go to the front of the line for transport. About Thursday of next week, I'll be uploading photos. Do I sound like an expectant father? I kinda feel like one, all over again. Do I really have to wait a WHOLE week? I may go sit in the dealer showroom just to be among the Mini's. I'm a sick person, I need help.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 PM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinghippo
Athens Highway is projecting their arrival time in Brunswick at 5:15 AM. My MA called today and said that since my car was labeled "a purchase", it would go to the front of the line for transport. About Thursday of next week, I'll be uploading photos. Do I sound like an expectant father? I kinda feel like one, all over again. Do I really have to wait a WHOLE week? I may go sit in the dealer showroom just to be among the Mini's. I'm a sick person, I need help.
Feeling your pain..

Old 02-22-2013, 03:23 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Vassago68
Correct, USAA has their own plan as well. As for quotes, it depends on a lot of factors really. Plus some companies will quote a cheap price to get you on board.

After my Blazer rolled 7 years ago, and USAA forgave the accident and ended up paying out 4K more than the truck was worth KBB, and some other factors to credit cards, multiple plans through USAA etc, it would take a huge huge savings for me to switch. They just are more understanding of the Military lifestyle than any insurance/bank I have ever dealt with.
That's the great thing about 6 month policies... If Geico starts to trend up for us again, we can easily move back to USAA

We still do a lot of business with USAA because you're right they're one of the best out there to deal with if you're military. However, I've got to give Geico credit because they're almost as good to deal with - as long as they're underwriting your policy... For non-auto policies they have a tendency to have somebody else underwrite it...

Old 02-22-2013, 05:19 PM
Dog Boy
2nd Gear
Inspection Checklist

Does anyone have a link or a good list that describes how to inspect my new MINI when I pick it up? Until now, I've always bought off the lot and haven't looked for anything beside dings and scratches. Any ideas?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
weaf27
4th Gear
Does anyone have a link or a good list that describes how to inspect my new MINI when I pick it up? Until now, I've always bought off the lot and haven't looked for anything beside dings and scratches. Any ideas?
I'd be interested also but the obvious is clear. Try to take delivery during the day which allows for better natural light although this is really hard for most of us with 8 to 5 jobs. Plus remember you have a warranty from many for the first 4 yrs /50 k. I will say from some of the things I've read I will be putting my baby up on a ramp the first weekend so that I can crawl under with a high powered flashlight just to make sure everything looks good and nothing is leaking or has been damaged during transit. I figure the warranty is there but if I inspect everything from time to time I can head off any major issues well in advance.

I plan on keeping her for the full 7 years / 100k and most likely well after that.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Superchicken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinghippo
Sooo, you're in Charlotte, I'm in Charleston. If you get yours Thursday, I should get mine...Tuesday? Oh please, oh please, oh please!

Old 02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
seabeast
2nd Gear
A Google search turned up a few checklists, the most extensive I found was here: http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/checklist.html

And here's one from Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ion_table.html

I think the main thing they stress is to take your time, let your MA show you everything (partly just to make sure it works), make sure the gas tank is full and the tires have the correct pressure, and check that you have all the manuals and paperwork.

One article I read suggested bringing someone along to help, which makes sense. I know I'll be dying to hit the road in my new car, so it will be hard to focus on things like how to operate the fog lights. A friend you bring along, on the other hand, has no reason to be excited about driving your new baby, so they'll be much more impartial about the other stuff. And probably less forgiving of perceived flaws.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Checking In...

Well, I was first promised my Mini by 02/06 - once we realized it was never going to get here by then, and after abunch of moaning and groaning, bitching and whinning, they gave me a loaner on 02/06.

It's better than the rental Fiat I was driving. Fiat's SUCK BTW! lol
Hey GG! Here is a story to help pass the time...sorry for the crappy phone pix but you will get the idea...

So as you know I neglected to order the rear fog option - so the "rear fog" on the driver's side is useless. They come with one backup light on the passenger side and one "fog" on the driver's side - see picture below:

Name:  TailsandBadge001_zps8264d67c.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  72.4 KB

So since the weather is usually nice here I decided to get a second backup light on the driver's side. I know it won't light up until I run a jumper from the other side but I don't care because I just want them to look the same. When I have some time I will splice into the existing one on the passenger side and get it working....so....

I go to the dealer with the part number and the parts guy tells me there is no way it will fit in your car. I will order it for you but you will be stuck with it because it says right here it won't fit. I say that's OK I will deal with it if it doesn't fit.

I get the part, spend 3 minutes under the car and in it goes, even though it will never fit LOL
Name:  photo8_zps99222a99.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  60.7 KB

Behold two backup lights that look the same . The new one even came with a bulb installed so all I have to do is a little splice job and bada boom bada bing backup lights on both sides!

Let me know if you need more pix while you wait, I just installed a cool front plate mount using the tow hook mount! It's a mod sickness I tell ya!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:05 PM
ponyup
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
Hey GG! Here is a story to help pass the time...sorry for the crappy phone pix but you will get the idea...

So as you know I neglected to order the rear fog option - so the "rear fog" on the driver's side is useless. They come with one backup light on the passenger side and one "fog" on the driver's side - see picture below:

So since the weather is usually nice here I decided to get a second backup light on the driver's side. I know it won't light up until I run a jumper from the other side but I don't care because I just want them to look the same. When I have some time I will splice into the existing one on the passenger side and get it working....so....

I go to the dealer with the part number and the parts guy tells me there is no way it will fit in your car. I will order it for you but you will be stuck with it because it says right here it won't fit. I say that's OK I will deal with it if it doesn't fit.

I get the part, spend 3 minutes under the car and in it goes, even though it will never fit LOL

Behold two backup lights that look the same . The new one even came with a bulb installed so all I have to do is a little splice job and bada boom bada bing backup lights on both sides!

Let me know if you need more pix while you wait, I just installed a cool front plate mount using the tow hook mount! It's a mod sickness I tell ya!
Hi Jake,
Great light job-looks good!

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 PM
ChefTyGuy
3rd Gear
OL just updated my baby boy to give me a birthdate of 3.2!!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:01 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
The Platypus? How well does that work? I read decent reviews, but I wasn't sold on it yet.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:59 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
The Platypus works great. Had mine on for over two years. Once you get it lined up straight, loosen it back up, take it off and put some Loc-Tight on it, it stays there. i've been thru some car washes, at the dealers, and it just does its job.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 AM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
Arrival

Manon is at this moment docking in Jersey City! Pete is here! I'm sure he will not be pleased to part with the ladies he's been on the cruise with, but his Dad is very anxious to have him home.

I was wondering if they made it with the voyage slowed up by two days.

I'm charging the batteries for the "big boy camera" as soon as I stop typing and the Kettle boils for a nice cuppa.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Had one similiar to the Platypus on my Bimmer. Much better than drilling holes in the front bumper. Used a picture level to make sure it was aligned right.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group