1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 04:20 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hemisedan
The Platypus works great. Had mine on for over two years. Once you get it lined up straight, loosen it back up, take it off and put some Loc-Tight on it, it stays there. i've been thru some car washes, at the dealers, and it just does its job.
Awesome, thanks. I guess I'll pull the trigger on a Euro plate one, and then I'll just have to get a US one when I get back to the States.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:34 AM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
Front Plates

Originally Posted by Vassago68
Awesome, thanks. I guess I'll pull the trigger on a Euro plate one, and then I'll just have to get a US one when I get back to the States.
We have a no front plate State here. I will save my OEM or buy your Plate Mount When you get here. I have a nice British Plate I'd like to put on. If your not finishing your tour soon, let me know and I'll look one out while I'm on Holiday in July.

BTW thanks for your service. :salute: (we need more smilies)

Old 02-23-2013, 04:41 AM
mjk1603
1st Gear
Honor off Nova Scotia

If anybody is looking for her, or not, she showed up on marinetraffic.com at 0708.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Twstgrp
We have a no front plate State here. I will save my OEM or buy your Plate Mount When you get here. I have a nice British Plate I'd like to put on. If your not finishing your tour soon, let me know and I'll look one out while I'm on Holiday in July.

BTW thanks for your service. :salute: (we need more smilies)
Thanks. However, I don't come back to the states for a year, and even then the Army is so broke due to budget cuts that they are talking about freezing all PCS moves (Permanent Change of Station) across the Army to save money.

I wouldn't mind it, since the pay is about 30% higher here, but I've been here 3 years now, 4 when I head back and I am kinda tired of it and missing the States.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:09 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by seabeast
A Google search turned up a few checklists, the most extensive I found was here: http://www.e46fanatics.com/faq/checklist.html

And here's one from Consumer Reports: http://www.consumerreports.org/conte...ion_table.html

I think the main thing they stress is to take your time, let your MA show you everything (partly just to make sure it works), make sure the gas tank is full and the tires have the correct pressure, and check that you have all the manuals and paperwork.

One article I read suggested bringing someone along to help, which makes sense. I know I'll be dying to hit the road in my new car, so it will be hard to focus on things like how to operate the fog lights. A friend you bring along, on the other hand, has no reason to be excited about driving your new baby, so they'll be much more impartial about the other stuff. And probably less forgiving of perceived flaws.

Those are excellent although I wish they were tailored a bit more for Mini only, I guess BMW is the next best thing for comparison.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
The one thing I'm not as concerned about is getting the explanation about how things work while I'm at the dealership... As long as I know enough to get the car off the lot - I'll figure out the rest with the manual.

Confirming everything works - that I'll do. But if I'm pretty sure that I won't remember how it works once I get more than 15 minutes off the lot...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:21 AM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mjk1603
If anybody is looking for her, or not, she showed up on marinetraffic.com at 0708.
She's docked in the next slip way from the ferry that takes you to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:32 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
She's docked in the next slip way from the ferry that takes you to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
Better not be - it'll take three tugs and a tide swing to get her back out...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:52 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
The one thing I'm not as concerned about is getting the explanation about how things work while I'm at the dealership... As long as I know enough to get the car off the lot - I'll figure out the rest with the manual.

Confirming everything works - that I'll do. But if I'm pretty sure that I won't remember how it works once I get more than 15 minutes off the lot...
Actually I was thinking like that until I read the checklists and it makes perfect sense for your MA to show you EVERYTHING but make sure EVERYTHING is demoed that way you get confirmation that everything works which is about half the items you would need to check right there...! Done, moving on to the other half...

Old 02-23-2013, 05:54 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Any one get confirmation that Athens Highway made it to port and is docked? I can't find it on any of the marine sites or searches. Supposedly the last ETA was docking at 5 AM something.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Jake C6R
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Vassago68
The Platypus? How well does that work? I read decent reviews, but I wasn't sold on it yet.
No I went with the US Mill Works lightened "snug fit" mount.

http://www.usmillworks.com/

A little spendy but this thing is very nicely made and fits great. Like another poster said I also used my level to get it completely straight horizontally because I am so OCD!!! Mine looks just like the pictures on the site showing it mounted on a red JCW.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by weaf27
Actually I was thinking like that until I read the checklists and it makes perfect sense for your MA to show you EVERYTHING but make sure EVERYTHING is demoed that way you get confirmation that everything works which is about half the items you would need to check right there...! Done, moving on to the other half...
Sadly I've discovered the hard way that not every MA (or car sales person in general) has the knowledge to show you how everything works, let alone explain it to you. (But make sure you give them all 5's on their survey or they failed ). I've had several sales people give me blank looks or incorrect information about a feature during the pickup presentation, heck last night my wife and I were in the garage with the manual for her car adjusting the programming - because turns out the car can do something that our salesguy was "pretty sure" it can't do... Don't be surprised if you're more knowledgeable about your new MINI when than your MA when you arrive for delivery...

Oh - and it looks like Athens Highway has turned their AIS receiver off when she pulled into port...

Old 02-23-2013, 06:07 AM
Flyinghippo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Superchicken
Sooo, you're in Charlotte, I'm in Charleston. If you get yours Thursday, I should get mine...Tuesday? Oh please, oh please, oh please!
Don't tell me that, I may have to drive to Charleston just to see yours before mine gets here. A sort of, "Mini Fix" if you know what I mean.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:47 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Confirming everything works - that I'll do. But if I'm pretty sure that I won't remember how it works once I get more than 15 minutes off the lot...[/QUOTE]

Right, my MA went thru the radio stuff, heater ect, but when it got cold, how do you get the fogging of the windows off. Never have quite figured that one out, they still fog up even when I push the A/C button. Still have never gotten the stations and how to set them. Shucks all I listen to is talk radio and Sirius 50's, 60's and 70's music. Cous'n Brucey.

Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Shucks all I listen to is talk radio and Sirius 50's, 60's and 70's music. Cous'n Brucey.
I can't believe that Cous'n Brucey is still alive! I remember my parents listening to him on WCBS when I was like 5 or 6 years old. I'm now .... .... a lot more years older than that...

Old 02-23-2013, 07:02 AM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jake C6R
No I went with the US Mill Works lightened "snug fit" mount.

http://www.usmillworks.com/

A little spendy but this thing is very nicely made and fits great. Like another poster said I also used my level to get it completely straight horizontally because I am so OCD!!! Mine looks just like the pictures on the site showing it mounted on a red JCW.
Oh! I like that one! Thanks for the linky!

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
hemisedan
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't believe that Cous'n Brucey is still alive! I remember my parents listening to him on WCBS when I was like 5 or 6 years old. I'm now .... .... a lot more years older than that...
In my opinion, and I never listened to him back then, he's the best. Other than Wolfman Jack, back in the 60's, but he's no longer with us.

I grew up in the Midwest and listened to WLS in Chicago. **** Biondi and others were great then.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM
Flyinghippo
2nd Gear
In my opinion, and I never listened to him back then, he's the best. Other than Wolfman Jack, back in the 60's, but he's no longer with us.

I grew up in the Midwest and listened to WLS in Chicago. **** Biondi and others were great then.
A bit off topic but hey....we have to pass the time till these little puppies here, right? I grew up in Charlotte and we had "The Big Ways" with Jack Gayle and Jay Thomas. Jay was on Letterman one night telling about when the Lone Ranger came to town. This is absolutely hilarious.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good news! One step closer, my baby girl finished production (born) on 2/21/13! Bubble gum cigars for everyone! LOL! Now the wait begins.

Old 02-23-2013, 08:47 AM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
Better not be - it'll take three tugs and a tide swing to get her back out...
It's a very wide slipway, and they don't use tugs, with thrusters they can spin round in their own length. She's sitting there with the ramps down, unloading.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
It's a very wide slipway, and they don't use tugs, with thrusters they can spin round in their own length. She's sitting there with the ramps down, unloading.
You're thinking the wrong ship We were talking about the Honor, which is still off Nova Scotia and is headed direct to Baltimore. It better not go to New York...

The Manon - which is the ship I think you were talking about is over in Bayonne offloading - which is where she should be

Old 02-23-2013, 09:32 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Found Athens Highway looks like she got in at 4:44 AM according to what I am reading. Maybe getting in so early will help make up for part of the one day behind schedule issue.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:38 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinghippo
A bit off topic but hey....we have to pass the time till these little puppies here, right? I grew up in Charlotte and we had "The Big Ways" with Jack Gayle and Jay Thomas. Jay was on Letterman one night telling about when the Lone Ranger came to town. This is absolutely hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFabfnfhIaY
Really funny...Thank you for sharing.

Why am I in this support forum...? O'yeah...waiting on my Mini...I actually forgot for a moment...at least the smile is still on my face as that was funny. Probably more for us slightly older folks as I remember watching the Lone Ranger as a kid.

Old 02-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Flyinghippo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by weaf27
Really funny...Thank you for sharing.

Why am I in this support forum...? O'yeah...waiting on my Mini...I actually forgot for a moment...at least the smile is still on my face as that was funny. Probably more for us slightly older folks as I remember watching the Lone Ranger as a kid.
Yeah, the sad part is that I can vividly remember the big hair and platform shoes in addition to the Lone Ranger, Cisco Kid (Awwww.....Pancho). This whole Mini thingy is like birthing a kid again. But, you only grow old if you allow yourself too. Wait til I blow the doors off my sons SUV with my new Mini.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Superchicken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Flyinghippo
Don't tell me that, I may have to drive to Charleston just to see yours before mine gets here. A sort of, "Mini Fix" if you know what I mean.
Come on then, lets just go to Brunswick.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group