1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks SO much Jimmy!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Superchicken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by KermitClin
My MINI arrived at the dealership today and my MA emailed me a couple of photos of her!

Now to give her a name and decide whether or not to get personalized plates!
Thanks very much for the pictures! I also ordered a Green Park and these are the first "real" pictures I've seen of one. It's even nicer than I thought!

This is almost as good as me getting my baby!

Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM
Superchicken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by weaf27
O.K. If everyone who has had their car delivered to their dealer and knew the date their car was unloaded from the ship to the VDC. How many days did it take from boat drop off at the VDC to get your car to the Dealer? Also mention if you live in a state far from your VDC as that of course would add a day or more to your time.

Thank You

EDIT: From my understanding it is 2 days if the VDC is not backed up and things are moving smoothly and of course nothing has to be done at the "Port" to your car.
Mine docked in Brunswick on Saturday am. Dealer is closed today, MA said the car comes straight to the dealership and does not go through the VDC. Anyone else been told this?

Old 02-24-2013, 09:50 AM
Flyinghippo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Superchicken
Mine docked in Brunswick on Saturday am. Dealer is closed today, MA said the car comes straight to the dealership and does not go through the VDC. Anyone else been told this?
Mine also docked in Brunswick on Saturday, my MA said that it does go thru customs prior to getting to his dealership in Charlotte. I'm looking around Thursday to leaving a wet spot in the parking lot.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:52 AM
weaf27
4th Gear
I'm not saying he/she is wrong and I'd love for him/her to be right but every other MA appears to have said (through threads on this site) that it gets checked out by the VDC even if nothing is being done to it at the port just to make sure it arrived safely. Once they verify it is in factory mint condition it is released to the truck/train shipping companies for transport.

Think if it this way if you ran a port and received a car damaged you would stop it at the VDC otherwise if you simply released it to the transport company and it got all the way to the dealer they could blame you, the VDC even if it came off the ship that way. Everyone now days is 100% about CYA and if they aren't they should be to some degree.

If your MA was correct that would mean my Mini would be to my dealer by tomorrow or Tuesday (the port is only a few hours away) but I can assure you that will not be the case as I am crossing my fingers for a Thursday or Friday arrival although I could get really lucky and get it Wednesday but I won't be holding my breath for that.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:10 AM
Superchicken
2nd Gear
Well, I guess we will have to see. I'm hoping for later this week, although sooner would be super!

Old 02-24-2013, 10:29 AM
///Chris
2nd Gear
For those on board the Tombarra, she is close to the Miraflores locks on the Pacific side of the Panama Canal, maybe about 30 minutes from going through. Check it out here - http://www.pancanal.com/common/multi...flores-hi.html to watch her go through!

Last edited by ///Chris; 02-24-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:51 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Your MA is mistaken. EVERY MINI goes through the VDC, some go through quickly, some have to spend a few days there. But the VDC inspects the vehicle for any damage that may occur during shipping, they also repair any damage that occurred during shipping. The MINIs are also washed prior to loading onto the car carriers.

No damage, and nothing that needs to get installed at the port - then your MINI will be in and out of the VDC pretty quickly. However if they spot an issue then your MINI may be there for a few days...

To paraphrase A Few Good Men: You want those folks at the VDC, You NEED those folks at the VDC...

Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Your MA is mistaken. EVERY MINI goes through the VDC, some go through quickly, some have to spend a few days there. But the VDC inspects the vehicle for any damage that may occur during shipping, they also repair any damage that occurred during shipping. The MINIs are also washed prior to loading onto the car carriers.

No damage, and nothing that needs to get installed at the port - then your MINI will be in and out of the VDC pretty quickly. However if they spot an issue then your MINI may be there for a few days...

To paraphrase A Few Good Men: You want those folks at the VDC, You NEED those folks at the VDC...
You're absolutely correct. From everything I've read, even a perfect vehicle coming off the boat will still take about 2 days to process through the VDC. If you have anything being installed there, or repaired it will be longer.

Old 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
///Chris
2nd Gear
Tombarra is now through the locks and in the Pacific!...took a little longer than I thought! My MA just emailed that I should be taking delivery on the 7th or 8th.

I took a bunch of screenshots (90 of them) and made a video out of it, for those who are as nerdy as me

Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Deli
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ///Chris
Tombarra is now through the locks and in the Pacific!...took a little longer than I thought! My MA just emailed that I should be taking delivery on the 7th or 8th.

I took a bunch of screenshots (90 of them) and made a video out of it, for those who are as nerdy as me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en-Y4b3f0Ig
Very cool!

Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Dog Boy
2nd Gear
Clear Bra

Is anyone getting a clear bra installed? We are replacing our Z3 and we had the bra installed at the dealer 7 yrs ago. It was well worth the investment and we're considering it again. Since this is my first MINI, are they prone to chips and dings on their front end?

Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 PM
Dewey911
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Dog Boy
Is anyone getting a clear bra installed? We are replacing our Z3 and we had the bra installed at the dealer 7 yrs ago. It was well worth the investment and we're considering it again. Since this is my first MINI, are they prone to chips and dings on their front end?
I had the 3M clear bra, if that's what it is called, on my 2010 Mini and I really liked it. Im having the dealer install it on the Coupe before I pick it up

Old 02-24-2013, 02:55 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My last MINI had a lot of chips/dings but never considered putting one since it was purchased used. For a new car, I think its well worth it. I didnt order my car but I was considering having the dealer add it. I decided to go with a local installer to put one on.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:34 PM
mb2020
3rd Gear
Yes, I am getting it installed. My sister in law and mother n law both have mini's and they say you really can't go without it! I would highly consider it!

2013 R59S/SO/Black Stripes/Manual ordered 1/30

Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same here as well. Bumper, bonnet, mirrors, head and fog lights, seriously considering doing the doors and rocker panels also. My 545i has all sorts of chips on it, I think most cars do or if they don't they soon will.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Mini-LG
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniBOL
My last MINI had a lot of chips/dings but never considered putting one since it was purchased used. For a new car, I think its well worth it. I didnt order my car but I was considering having the dealer add it. I decided to go with a local installer to put one on.
does the one that goes on the bumper truly protect it from parking dings or is that impossible. Then if you do get a ding, can you repair it through the clear coating?

Thanks,
LG

Old 02-24-2013, 04:03 PM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
46,000mi ON MY MELLO YELLOW, I will not be getting a clear bra. I have a very few stone chips on the front bumper and one in the black paint of the roof. The only thing, imho, worth doing would be a practical windshield cover. I'm on my third one and it looks like it's been sandblasted. They are a bit upright. but, the insurance replaces them without a murmur. I have a new one coming and do not plan a bra of any type.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:15 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mini-LG

does the one that goes on the bumper truly protect it from parking dings or is that impossible. Then if you do get a ding, can you repair it through the clear coating?

Thanks,
LG
I honestly do not think the clear bra would protect from parking dings. I've never had a clear bra before til now but I did it because I drive in the hwy/fwy a lot and I wanted some sort of protection from rock/debris chips and scratches.
I found a reputable local installer and did it. I just couldn't go with the dealer because of what they charge and I needed to save some $$$.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:25 PM
Dewey911
2nd Gear
Honor

Has anyone seen the Honor lately? Seems to pop up now and then but disappears just as quick. Been checking the expected arrivals for Baltimore and it shows up sometimes and again it disappears........ Sailwx shows its position every 6 hours or so but was curious of its current position. Last I saw it was near Rhode Island.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
I honestly do not think the clear bra would protect from parking dings. I've never had a clear bra before til now but I did it because I drive in the hwy/fwy a lot and I wanted some sort of protection from rock/debris chips and scratches.
I found a reputable local installer and did it. I just couldn't go with the dealer because of what they charge and I needed to save some $$$.
Nice looking killer bee you got there MiniBOL!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:35 PM
Twstgrp
3rd Gear
Sorry , too much wine confused, Honor with Manon.

Last edited by Twstgrp; 02-25-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tex6 Hawkeye

Nice looking killer bee you got there MiniBOL!
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. I really have to change my sig pic.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM
Tex6 Hawkeye
3rd Gear
Thanks! Unfortunately I don't have it anymore. I really have to change my sig pic.
Someone then was fortunate to pick up a great looking MINI.

Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tex6 Hawkeye

Someone then was fortunate to pick up a great looking MINI.
It was auctioned off. The car was a lemon but who ever picked it up sure would've gotten a good deal for it. Would be a good project/rebuild.

Last edited by MiniBOL; 02-24-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group