1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A new word to describe the Order Tracking process

Minaccurate (adjective): The result of compiling information from multiple sources believed to be authoritative. Usage: The Order Tracking system at the OL says today that my car is still at the port in Baltimore, awaiting transport, which is totally minaccurate. Also: minaccurately (adverb). Usage: The automated voice at 800-ASK-MINI minaccurately reported today that my car is in Southampton, awaiting the trip to Baltimore. Also: minaccuracy (noun). Usage: In three successive phone calls, I received three totally different stories about the delivery date to the dealer, which makes me doubt the minaccuracy of the system.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In other words, you'll get your MINI whenever the "H E double toothpicks" you get it !

Old 06-13-2013, 02:38 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spa2k
My dealer switched from 3M to Xpel about a year ago - says it's easier to install, a little more clear and more durable.
How about a product called Invisishield? My dealer is quoting $549 for the Countryman/Paceman which seems alot lower than what you guys have. Is it the same thing???

Old 06-13-2013, 02:59 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chanclor
How about a product called Invisishield? My dealer is quoting $549 for the Countryman/Paceman which seems alot lower than what you guys have. Is it the same thing???
Never heard of it, but that doesn't mean it's not a good product. However, it's a lot less pricey, so I'd sure want to know about the warranty and see some final installations before I plunked down my $549. Also, does it include the front bumper, hood, mirrors and door edges?

Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB

In other words, you'll get your MINI whenever the "H E double toothpicks" you get it !
I guess that's right - this car has been "Lost" so many times, it deserves its own TV show. I don't mind the wait as much as I mind all the minaccurate information.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by chanclor
My dealer uses Invisishield as well. Each dealer can set their own price, which is why it can vary.

I've found the Scotchgard 3M paint protection film is better quality product at a significantly lower price when done by an independent installer. That said, the dealership does offer the added convenience of installation prior to delivery. YMMV.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:15 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JackMac
I've found the Scotchgard 3M paint protection film is better quality product at a significantly lower price when done by an independent installer.
Unfortunately, in smaller markets, the top dealers in the area also are the only or best installers because the volume isn't big enough to support an independent store. The Cadillac/Lexus/Jaguar/Land Rover/Volvo/Infiniti/MINI dealer here installs on all brands. BTW, the biggest difference I've found among all the installers in my area is $100 - plus, the prices are somewhat negotiable.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Found a write up by a who guy does a very nice job of explaining the differences in clear bras out there.

Here's a line from his article:

In fact 3M and Venture Shield are the current leaders in the PPF industry with all other coming in a distant 3rd.

Here's a link:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/clear-bra...s-t480717.html

Old 06-13-2013, 03:37 PM
chanclor
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spa2k
Also, does it include the front bumper, hood, mirrors and door edges?
He said "It goes up the hood almost to the back of the headlights, so it goes all the way up to where the bonnet flattens out."

So nothing on the doors, mirrors - maybe that's the difference in the cost.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:57 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
Found a write up by a who guy does a very nice job of explaining the differences in clear bras out there.

Here's a line from his article:

In fact 3M and Venture Shield are the current leaders in the PPF industry with all other coming in a distant 3rd.

Here's a link:

http://forums.nicoclub.com/clear-bra...s-t480717.html
Just to be totally transparent, the information in that article is more than 3 years old, but the details on installation are pretty good. (I don't believe Xpel was in widespread use until a couple of years ago.) However, this particular article does not reflect my personal experience with these products. I'd rank the Xpel and 3M products first, with VentureShield a distant second. As you so correctly said, YMMV, and I think many of the product differences disappear when quality of installation is factored in. Finally, I'd recommend using the cleaners and polishes available from the manufacturers of these products, before waxing them.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:09 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
I did see the date on that article. But not knowing much about Xpel, I had/have no idea how long it's been around. And I sure don't mean to disparage Expel... as I said, know very little to nothing about it.

And to be fair, I will concur with his statement that 3M does tend to show a little orange peel effect. Mine did and it drove me slighlty mad. But it had so many pluses associated with it, I could overlook that one negative.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:43 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Well, the Tiger holds 7,930 cars. So for those of us hoping to board this Port Hueneme ship, let's hope we are in one of those slots. I've been unable to find a departure time, but cannot. Hoping it is late enough in the day to get all those Mini's on board. Screw the Bimmer's.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always had my production number show up on MINIUSA within two days of getting it.

your dealer should also have your VIN by now.
Maybe it's taking longer because I'm in Canada, or it simply won't work because of that.

But I contacted my MA and he told me that my Bayswater is currently being built!!! He also gave me my VIN, but I'm not too sure if I can use it for tracking purposes at this point...

Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Mangopango
1st Gear
Three hours ago the Michigan Highway docked at the Brunswick VDC. My first MINI should be headed to the dealer within 24 - 36 hours. Last weeks tropical depression delayed the Michigan Highways arrival to Baltimore. Since my new R56 is gray, I think I'll name her Stormy.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:43 PM
IamLili
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mangopango
Three hours ago the Michigan Highway docked at the Brunswick VDC. My first MINI should be headed to the dealer within 24 - 36 hours. Last weeks tropical depression delayed the Michigan Highways arrival to Baltimore. Since my new R56 is gray, I think I'll name her Stormy.
Good color choice! And nice name for your new MCS! Enjoy your first MINI experience... And know that it may not be your last!

Old 06-13-2013, 06:45 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by IamLili
Maybe it's taking longer because I'm in Canada, or it simply won't work because of that.

But I contacted my MA and he told me that my Bayswater is currently being built!!! He also gave me my VIN, but I'm not too sure if I can use it for tracking purposes at this point...
That's good news ! Once it goes into production, it only takes about 10 days for it to be completely built.

That VIN will come in handy when you want to track it on a ship. In the meantime, you can use your production number to track it while MINI still has possession of it.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Mangopango
1st Gear
Thanks. I used the marine tracker website and must admit I've done little else but watch the little green ship make 16 knots for the past few days. If only i could track The Wagoneers as Stormy travels to the dealer.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM
sdiver
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Having watched two of my MINIs getting their clear bra, I will say that anyone who tries to tackle that job by themself is either the bravest and confident persons alive... or a flat out ninkumpoop.
Actually, having graduated with an art degree, stuff like this usually doesn't phase me much. There is that practice part though...that could be a problem as I'm sure I would have to "waste" some material first. And I'm sure it would probably take me an entire weekend to get it perfect.

So yeah...brave, confident, ninkimpoop. How about all of the above?!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:55 PM
guevasd
3rd Gear
Got an email from my MA today that our CM should be at dealer on Mon or Tues.
Since ours was a late adoption (Off the ship as it was docking in NJ), we didn't track this one via production number.

This is a replacement for a "total loss" car. I mentioned to our MA that our insurance rental car is running out soon, what could he do?, he said if our CM is not in by Monday, he'll put us in a MINI until it does so we don't have to pay for the statefarm rental.

That is customer service! (We haven't even finished our paperwork yet)
A++ for Brian at MINI of Annapolis for listening and getting the job done right!

meanwhile, another weekend of waiting, soooo close... yet still 3-4 days away
Happy Motoring to those that have delivery!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:04 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
Well, the Tiger holds 7,930 cars. So for those of us hoping to board this Port Hueneme ship, let's hope we are in one of those slots. I've been unable to find a departure time, but cannot. Hoping it is late enough in the day to get all those Mini's on board. Screw the Bimmer's.
Lets hope. We are pretty much at the mercy of the shipping gods. I have to make a decision on the type of viper stripes that I'm getting.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WolfsBane
Lets hope. We are pretty much at the mercy of the shipping gods. I have to make a decision on the type of viper stripes that I'm getting.
Yeah, I ordered mine with no stripes too and will have the dealer do something. They have a graphics person that will design something with me and then we can put it on. I am thinking a single wide-ish strip on the driver's side and that's it, but not 100% on that.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:02 PM
cnyilas
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by brgmcs13

What dealership is yours heading to? Mine is traveling on the Mignon as well and eventually to Habberstad in Huntington Station.
Mine is going to Darien CT

Old 06-14-2013, 02:46 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Q.... that really is great service from MINI of Annapolis!

How do you feel about your claim service from State Farm?

Old 06-14-2013, 04:37 AM
guevasd
3rd Gear
Q.... that really is great service from MINI of Annapolis!

How do you feel about your claim service from State Farm?
Statefarm is not too bad, problem is we were hit by an uninsured motorist, so Statefarm is advocate and adversary. They don't seem to move very fast even after asking me to get things to them quick. But beyond that, if you talk with them enough, can get things done. We also have a lawyer for this case, so he helps move things when they stall.

Although, it took a while to total loss the car. They lost our VIN for a couple of days for some reason.

MINI of Annapolis really stepped in to help where the insurance didn't. (Not that they should, but proactively could have)

Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Sounds like State Farm handled your claim only "ok". Sorry to hear that. As a State Farm claim adjuster, that disappoints me.

Although there were some delays, very likely due to being swamped with work like the Total Loss reps in my office, I hope every rep you spoke to did a good job explaining everything to you and spoke to you as a valued policyholder.

Attorneys.... I'll keep my view on them to myself.

Thanks very much for having State Farm as your insurer.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group