1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
That's the closest dealership to you ?
Yup. Salt Lake is a few miles longer. For the most part, my Honey and I don't mind making the trip, specially if we can take a couple more days and head for the coast, which we both love, (I'm originally from back east, so any time that we can see ocean and feel cool, moist breeze is fine with me). The problem, is being able to both of us schedule the time off at our work at the same time... not as easy as scheduling a few days in advance. And of course, any type of maintenance means planning a trip over several days.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:33 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Going to be tempted to ride the strip in the redneck part of town on Friday nights just to see what the bumpkins think of the exhaust.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Yeah... at 400 miles, I'd want to make a two or three day trip out of it too. Bet you're glad these MINIs can go so long between oil changes. And I bet you don't buy the extended maintenance plan, instead opting to take it to a closer shop after the free 3/36 plan expires.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:36 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
Awesome.

I had a 2012 R56 "S" as a dealer loaner car last September and I hated to take it back because I got addicted to the POP POP CRACK noises on decceleration in just the two days I had it.

If my JCW pops, burbles, and cracks as much as that one, I will be quite happy about it.
Oh... you are going to love the sound of that JCW.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Cool !

I intentionally didn't start it up when I visited it on Wednesday at the dealership. The first time I get that crap-eating grin on my face from the Pop and Burble should be when I'm driving it home off the lot.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:40 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
Yeah... at 400 miles, I'd want to make a two or three day trip out of it too. Bet you're glad these MINIs can go so long between oil changes. And I bet you don't buy the extended maintenance plan, instead opting to take it to a closer shop after the free 3/36 plan expires.
Yup... in fact, my Honey's hardtop 3 year maintenance plan just ended. We are weighing our options there. They typically did a good job with her car. But we have to take in consideration maintenance cost and the cost of driving to Portland every time we need some maintenance. But I do have to say, that relatively speaking, her Mini has been problem free... (knock on wood).

Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Just knocked on wood for you too, WB.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:44 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WolfsBane

Oh... you are going to love the sound of that JCW.
Yup, he will. It is most definitely a different exhaust than what you get with the dealer installed JCW tune kit. That exhaust was quiet, and droned something fierce! This one sounds aggressive, no need for aftermarket.

Those bumpkins are going to hear his car and say, "Hey Ma, lookey there, that dad gum new car is back firin'! Piece of crap forun car!"

Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You've been to Hagerstown MD !!

Old 07-12-2013, 05:19 PM
etidd01
4th Gear
Yeah, MINI of Baltimore doesn't participate in the USAA Car Buying Service. When I pointed out I could have gone to another dealership that is just as close and gotten it, my MA gave me the $500 off, just a bit reluctantly.
CR you may want to check on this again...I was on USAA this afternoon and although their car buying service doesn't list dealer names, the location of the dealer that came up was exactly the same distance away from me as Baltimore (other dealers in MD are further away). I am supposed to call my MA tomorrow to get some more info. I'll fill you in afterwards (or at some point this weekend).

Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Well, not sure how much more positive I can be they don't participate, e01. When I submitted my purchase, I used a Owings Mills address to make sure it got sent to MINI of Baltimore. Instead, it got sent to MINI of Montgomery County. When I asked my MA at MINI of Baltimore, he told me it's because they don't participate. But hey... got my $500 off anyway so it's all good. And I like buying from the same dealership all the time, builds up good points for favors when needed when it comes to maintenance.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:25 PM
etidd01
4th Gear
Going to be tempted to ride the strip in the redneck part of town on Friday nights just to see what the bumpkins think of the exhaust.
Dual Highway here we come! Queue the "rebel yell"

Old 07-12-2013, 05:31 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by etidd01
Dual Highway here we come! Queue the "rebel yell"
Yep, Dual Highway... going through the downtown area.... amongst the rednecks and other low lifes, might be a hoot. Might have to leave it in second gear and keep the RPMs going from 4000 down to 2000 and back constantly. Sounds like a fun Friday night to me.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:33 PM
EHans
5th Gear
Originally Posted by WolfsBane
Was able to verify my car is on a vehicle delivery truck on its way to the dealership. Now... I have to see when I can schedule time off to make the 400 mile trip to Portland.
That is AWESOME! I cannot believe it got processed that quickly. That bodes well for me. Maybe it won't take a full week and a half to do the two installs.

400 miles?!?! That is a looooooong way to the nearest Mini dealer. I don't care what the car is, not sure I'd have the guts to buy one that far from an dealer. Heck, we ruled out the Fiat for my wife because it was 30mi away and we have so many other dealers around here of other makes.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 PM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by EHans
That is AWESOME! I cannot believe it got processed that quickly. That bodes well for me. Maybe it won't take a full week and a half to do the two installs.

400 miles?!?! That is a looooooong way to the nearest Mini dealer. I don't care what the car is, not sure I'd have the guts to buy one that far from an dealer. Heck, we ruled out the Fiat for my wife because it was 30mi away and we have so many other dealers around here of other makes.
I think part of the reason is that I didn't have any VDC installations. Really starting to get impatient now...

Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Spa2k
4th Gear
New Tracking Service!

I'm tired of all the whining around here - including my own - about how minaccurate the various parts of the order tracking system are. (C'mon, was my car really sitting outside Oxford for 22 days?)

So, I've started a new tracking system called the Spa Lounge (abbreviated SL). All you have to do is tell me what you ordered and when, and I'll tell you that your MINI already has been delivered by the dealer to your garage and that you missed the big event because you were too busy complaining here about how the other tracking systems don't work very well. WOW! You no longer have to experience the angst of sleepless nights, unproductive days at work and rejection from your spouse, significant other or both.

There's no charge for this service. Who's first?

Last edited by Spa2k; 07-12-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:23 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
^ Me me me me me !!

Where is my MINI, Spa ? Is it still in the factory ? Still strapped to the back of the ship ? Is it in my garage ?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 AM
PepperClubby
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Camthewookie
Just found out I'm on the California Highway! Should be docking in Brunswick on the 24th. My 8 week order is looking more like 10-11 when it's all said and done. Can't wait!!
Cam, that's the ship I was on. It always seemed to be pulling into port a little ealy. Your in good hands.

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spa2k
I'm tired of all the whining around here - including my own - about how minaccurate the various parts of the order tracking system are. (C'mon, was my car really sitting outside Oxford for 22 days?)

So, I've started a new tracking system called the Spa Lounge (abbreviated SL). All you have to do is tell me what you ordered and when, and I'll tell you that your MINI already has been delivered by the dealer to your garage and that you missed the big event because you were too busy complaining here about how the other tracking systems don't work very well. WOW! You no longer have to experience the angst of sleepless nights, unproductive days at work and rejection from your spouse, significant other or both.

There's no charge for this service. Who's first?
Hey, where was this when I was awaiting for my Roadster?

Old 07-13-2013, 06:15 AM
Spa2k
4th Gear
^ Me me me me me !!

Where is my MINI, Spa ? Is it still in the factory ? Still strapped to the back of the ship ? Is it in my garage ?
Your MINI already has been delivered by the dealer to your garage. You missed the big event because you were too busy complaining here about how the other tracking systems don't work very well. Thank you for using the Spa Lounge.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:18 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE

Well, taking my teen out for another driving lesson in the 05 Justa. Second time for him on public roads learning to drive the stick. If you don't hear from me for a while, send flowers to my parents. Thanks.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:48 AM
WolfsBane
3rd Gear

Well, taking my teen out for another driving lesson in the 05 Justa. Second time for him on public roads learning to drive the stick. If you don't hear from me for a while, send flowers to my parents. Thanks.

LOL. Will do. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:45 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Well, not too bad for a rookie. He stalled it out three times at the first red light. A couple weeks ago while learning in our development, he gave it too much gas and squealed the tires and not he's afraid to do it again so too timid on the gas. But once I explained too much gas in first gear is better than not enough, he got it. Only stalled it once after that.

Having a sign on the back window helped... "Learning to drive a Stick, Thanks For Patience". He doesn't feel so bad about holding up traffic with the sign there.

Sure will be glad when it becomes second nature to him.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:08 AM
EHans
5th Gear
Heard a bit on Car Talk where Click and Clack recommended putting the teen in the car on a flat surface and then get it going using the clutch only so they could get a feel for the friction zone. Then apply gas later in training. I may try that this weekend with my teen.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:29 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
That's exactly what we did in a gigantic parking lot for a couple of weeks before even going around our development. He was really good at it in the parking lot, pretty good going around the development too.

He just panics and tries to rush when he's out on the roads, afraid people will get impatient with him. And like I said, afraid he's going to give it too much gas and make the tires screech in public. I told him, "who cares, let the screech a bit, better than not enough gas and stalling". Gotta get him used to putting the clutch in as soon as he realizes the car is stalling, too.

But I can tell he's going to grasp it pretty soon, unlike some people who just can never get it.

Quick Reply: "Those waiting for a 2013" Support Group