1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory vs. Dealer Bonnet Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM
jacinf
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory vs. Dealer Bonnet Stripes

Hello,

My girl picked up her 2012 Mini Justa last Saturday.. Chili Red and a Black Roof.. She had wanted the race stripes when she ordered the car originally but before she picked it up she changed her mind and wanted bonnet stripes instead. Her MA said no problem, they will install them when they fix a dent that was on the car when we picked it up (a whole other issue).

We went to pick up the car yesterday, the bonnet stripes were installed.. but she isn't super happy with them. They look short on both ends. Almost 1/2" from the grill and 1/2" from the top of the hood. We inspected a bunch of cars that had their bonnet stripes installed at the factory (versus at the dealer like hers) and they were all within about 1/8" on both sides.

Is this normal? Are the dealer stripes different than factory? Has anybody else had theirs installed at the dealer and had this same issue?

I've attached a couple pictures so you can see.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:19 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
My guess it's more the install, than the stripes being different.

In the factory, it's most likely an automated machine installing the stripes. So it will be very precise. At the dealership, it's a human.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:22 PM
jacinf
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by pdoel
My guess it's more the install, than the stripes being different.

In the factory, it's most likely an automated machine installing the stripes. So it will be very precise. At the dealership, it's a human.
If it was the install, then the stripes would be butted closer to either the grill or the top of the bonnet. They are shorter than the others we saw at the dealership.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:23 PM
wandrur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stripes are (usually) dealer-installed accessories. When you build a new MINI, you'll note that these and many other things are completed once the car has been delivered to the dealer. So...I would say the installations just differed. If they're not the same as the ones on the lot, go back to your MA and ask to have them done properly.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:32 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
factory stripes might be installed at the arrival center - the port of arrival place where cars are prep'ed for shipment.

or installed by the same guy who the dealer uses for 'dealer purchased' who is typically a local installer who's handed the factory kit and pointed towards the car . .

I didn't like the look of my dealer install of 'factory' stripes and they called the kid back and he did them again while I watched . . .

in any case I do not believe ANY stripes are applied b4 the car leaves the factory....

Old 06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
I was told by my MA that the 'bonnet stripes', if configured from the beginning, are installed at the factory. If you ask for them after the fact, then they are either installed at the VDC or dealership, depending on when you ask.

If you choose any of the stripes listed under accessories, those are never installed at the factory, and would either be VDC or dealership, depending on when you ask for them.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:47 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
your MA has the right word for sure

he may have worked there for almost a week

sorry

people come here to find out what their MA lied about ... lied is strong ... what they made up cuz they simply did not know.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
your MA has the right word for sure

he may have worked there for almost a week

sorry

people come here to find out what their MA lied about ... lied is strong ... what they made up cuz they simply did not know.

Granted I'm new to Mini, but what he said made perfect sense to me. There are the standard bonnet stripes you can order right off the bat I. The configuration, and even as part of a package. Makes sense to me if hose were in fact installed at the factory. There are other stripes that are listed as accessories and even have notes that if you choose those, they are dealer installed. So while it could be wrong, what he said makes complete sense, and flows well with what you see with the online configurator.

As far as his experience, he's actually someone I've known for about eight years through the VW community and various local car shows, and he's been at this Mini dealership for over two years. So not just some jackass who makes crap up cause he's clueless.

And everything else he's told me so far has been dead on.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Originally Posted by jacinf
If it was the install, then the stripes would be butted closer to either the grill or the top of the bonnet. They are shorter than the others we saw at the dealership.
This is very odd.
I just had old bonnet stripes removed and new ones installed at my dealership.
They have an independent vinyl guy onsite who does all dealer installations and his own customers as well.
Here are my new OEM MINI stripes:
Name:  Goodbyefriedeggs.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  37.7 KB

Name:  blackbonnetstripes.jpg
Views: 950
Size:  36.7 KB

The MA is trying to pass this off as OK?
That sucks.
When you buy a brand new car you should drive it home from the dealership happy, happy, happy.

Of all the things you can do to "youify" the car, this is one of the least expensive.
It won't take the dealer anytime and very little money to do them over again and do them right.
The MA should have offered that with a smile.

I hope this get resolved and your GF is pleased with her new MINI.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Granted I'm new to Mini, but what he said made perfect sense to me. There are the standard bonnet stripes you can order right off the bat I. The configuration, and even as part of a package. Makes sense to me if hose were in fact installed at the factory. There are other stripes that are listed as accessories and even have notes that if you choose those, they are dealer installed. So while it could be wrong, what he said makes complete sense, and flows well with what you see with the online configurator.

As far as his experience, he's actually someone I've known for about eight years through the VW community and various local car shows, and he's been at this Mini dealership for over two years. So not just some jackass who makes crap up cause he's clueless.

And everything else he's told me so far has been dead on.
This is all good then.
Getting the stripes fixed won't be a problem.
Maybe the MA didn't understand how unhappy your GF is about it?
If she's like me, she isn't going to ever be happy with the stripes as they are now.

Edit: Sorry, I just realized this is your wife, not GF!
Edit again: You are about to pick up a brand new JCW Clubman in a couple of days?
I would think your MA will take care of this little stripe problem and make sure everyone is happy.

Last edited by LittleWing; 06-15-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:41 PM
jacinf
2nd Gear
Thanks for all the replies!

I have an answer. The dealership called and admitted they used "Older" stripes meant for the previous generation mini.. and the bonnet itself was a bit shorter.. so thats why they do not fit correctly.

Since they have it in for body work anyway to repair the dent that was on it when we picked up the car.. they are removing those stripes and putting the correct ones on.

Thanks all!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jacinf
Thanks for all the replies!

I have an answer. The dealership called and admitted they used "Older" stripes meant for the previous generation mini.. and the bonnet itself was a bit shorter.. so thats why they do not fit correctly.

Since they have it in for body work anyway to repair the dent that was on it when we picked up the car.. they are removing those stripes and putting the correct ones on.

Thanks all!
Good deal! Glad it'll get resolved. It's one of those things a lot of people would let go, and it would drive them crazy for as long as they own the car.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:49 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
I love a happy ending!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:50 PM
LittleWing
5th Gear
Good deal! Glad it'll get resolved. It's one of those things a lot of people would let go, and it would drive them crazy for as long as they own the car.
And I just realized that you and the OP are two different people!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:59 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by LittleWing
And I just realized that you and the OP are two different people!
Ha ha. Yup. I won't see my stripes for a few more weeks. It's in the body shop at the moment with an estimated completion date of Monday.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Herleman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do keep in mind that the 2012 hood is shaped differently than earlier versions and stripe kits for the earlier versions are unlikely to fit properly. I suspect the dealer installed stripes for a 2007 thru 2010 model.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:02 PM
the matey
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I'm at MINI and I look at coopers it looks like some of the cooper bonnet stripes are wider than cooper s's or is it just me?