1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for a new Mini owner...

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 PM
-Fen-
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for a new Mini owner...

I really need some helpful opinions on what I should do in my current situation.

I ordered a mini coupe s and received it two weeks ago, and the experience so far is not good. When I got my Mini there was an error at the factory and my wheels didn't come in the right color. I didn't think it was a big deal so they said I could bring the car back and they'd paint them the right color for me. I drove the car for two days and loved it, I brought the car in to have the wheels and accessories installed. Well after taking a full work week to finish I went to pick up the car and I noticed right away that there is now an inch long scratch and ding in the door panel that is down to the metal in some areas... Nobody brought it to my attention. I found it quite hard to miss. On top of that I noticed that the paint on the wheels was done sloppy and there are several places where the paint has ran causing a lumps in the surface. I talked to the service manager and they said they could repaint the panel, but really? I just got this car and had it for like two days... I'm going to have the panel repainted? and since I've been given these in between days when they keep dragging me back and forth I never had time to install the clear vinyl that I wanted... Now there's chips in the front paint as well. I've driven the car for 3 days total and I already have a scratched, chipped, lumpy car.

What the hell do I do? -__-;

Last edited by -Fen-; 06-16-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: typos
Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM
lsirois
1st Gear
Well....although frustrating...I would think that repainting the panel would make it good as new IF DONE CORRECTLY. From your description of the wheels though, I'd be skeptical that they can paint anything correctly. Regarding the wheels, I would have insisted on a swap for the correct wheels. No painting. In fact, I would have left the car right on the lot. The wheels on the Minis are just too darn expensive for them to start painting over them because of the dealer's or manufacturer's mistake.

Old 06-17-2012, 06:19 AM
rum4
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would have them put the correct wheels on the car, not paint the ones on it

Old 06-17-2012, 07:11 AM
-Fen-
1st Gear
Originally Posted by lsirois
Well....although frustrating...I would think that repainting the panel would make it good as new IF DONE CORRECTLY. From your description of the wheels though, I'd be skeptical that they can paint anything correctly. Regarding the wheels, I would have insisted on a swap for the correct wheels. No painting. In fact, I would have left the car right on the lot. The wheels on the Minis are just too darn expensive for them to start painting over them because of the dealer's or manufacturer's mistake.
I totally agree. what I forgot to mention was that they sent the wheels off to a separate company in another city. So I'd hope the people at the BMW shop can pop out a ding and re-paint the area correctly. It's just so.. Arg! I really hope it comes out like new.

Also the reason I took it off the lot was because the car was really dirty I couldn't see any of the mistakes made on it. Due to the local drought the car wash at the dealership has been locked up. So I went to wash the car at a car wash around the corner (literally like 30 mins later) I drove the car back to them and showed them the errors..

Old 06-17-2012, 02:41 PM
lsirois
1st Gear
I own a Nissan pickup. A few months ago I had new tires installed at the dealership. Turns out the tech that changed the tires had significantly scratched 3 of the 4 rims....and I am not talking little scratches...more like circular gouges around the rims. The dealership offered to fix it, but I was skeptical and told them that I wanted them to look as-new...no funny business of they would be buying me new rims. They sent the rims off and when they came back, I was amazed! My rims are painted with a brushed metal face all covered with a clear coat. I never thought they would be able to fix them, but they did...flawlessly. So it is possible to fix/paint rims to look great, BUT you paid for NEW rims...you should get what you paid for.

My 2012 Mini MCS has not arrived yet, but I ordered it with black wheels. There's no way that I would accept the car without the rims that I paid for.

Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 PM
-Fen-
1st Gear
Thanks for the input Isirois. I know what you mean... Mini offered not only to fix the spot directly, but if it doesn't work they also offered to repaint the entire car as long as I was happy with the end results. So, gladly I agreed to these terms and I'm going to take the car in soon.