1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob, considering a MINI, few questions!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 06:34 PM
bluecat
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noob, considering a MINI, few questions!

Hey guys! I'm an auto enthusiast and am very used to forum life (subaruforester.org and fjcruiserforums.com as well). Hopefully you guys are friendly to noobs who come along with all those same questions you've answered a million times!

About me: I currently own an 04 Subaru Forester XT (turbo) and it is extremely fast. Stock 0-60 is 5.3 (AWD + 2.5L Turbo). I've modified the suspension to the point that I often outrun everything in my class at autocross (STU, and I'm running against cars that should be faster than me). So while the steering isn't as snappy as the MINI (I've test driven a few MINIs lately), overall grip is likely better, especially at higher speeds. I've tweaked the Forester until it is perfectly balanced and easily controllable, allowing me to point it exactly where I want to go. A pleasure.

Anyhow, I have 125k miles on it and I've grown somewhat bored with it. Spent the last 1.5 years modding my wife's ride instead. And I've had a few very good offers for it, so I'm considering actually parting ways with it. I have two small kids under 8, so the regular Cooper is out. Would have to be a Clubman. In order to try and shorten this book I'm writing, let me say:

Current ride:
2004 Forester XT 5-speed manual (AWD)
Pros: low gearing and quick spool so easy to do a blistering launch. Minimal turbo lag, well hidden by the low gearing. Blast on the autocross course and highway too thanks to being right in the torque band. Handling is a dream. Very unique car and GREAT community. EASY to fix yourself.
Cons: getting some miles on it. Ride is rough with my huge sway bars.

Test Drive #1:
MINI Clubman
Pros: I get the "go-kart" handling . Darting back and forth is much easier than my Foz, and the lock to lock turn is nice and short. Enough backseat legroom for an adult. No turbo lag thanks to the twin-scroll! Great MPG.
Cons: Why is the only suicide door on the passenger side (my wife's biggest complaint)? Limited trunk space (duh). No spare. FWD = wheel spin while taking off and turning.

Test Drive #2:
09 Subaru WRX
Pros: 265hp, just a hair more than my Forester. I already know Subarus extremely well. Lots of trunk space. Handles almost as good as my Forester (it on Summer tires, my Foz on All-Seasons).
Cons: TURBO LAG! Wow, it feels so much slower than my Forester. The crowd the WRX attracts is much less mature. Pricier than a used MINI.

So I'll be buying a used MINI if I do, here are some questions:
1. Is it reasonably ok to expect to find a 08-09 Clubman with decent miles for a good price? Seen one or two on here.
2. RELIABILITY. How are MINIs? Subaru reliability is on par with Honda and Toyota. Is MINI? What are the major problems they would have?
3. Are they easy to work on yourself? I try to do everything I can for my cars myself to save money. Brakes, fluids, timing belt changes...even a headgasket on my first non-turbo Forester. I also love the fact that with the Subaru community, if you need to swap something or fix something you can usually find detailed instructions with pictures on one of the forums.
4. Are non OEM parts readily available (such as at your local parts place)? You know, spark plugs, filters, brakes, other more specific components.
5. I'd ask about aftermarket support, but from a little browsing on this forum today I'd say you're covered.
6. How are the crash test scores? How do they do against larger vehicles (our wife's FJ is 4300lbs)?

Guys, thanks for any time you can spend to answer my questions. If there are already threads to answer my questions, please just point me that way. Like when noobs join the Forester forum and say "how can I make my Forester handle better?" we can just say "Go to the 'How to Make Your Forester Turn Better Than an STi for Cheap' thread!"

Last edited by bluecat; 06-17-2012 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:13 AM
Ken Rigney
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buy a 09 or newer. before 09 they have a timing chain tensioner problem. google "mini cooper death rattle". just something to keep in mind

Old 06-21-2012, 05:53 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bluecat

So I'll be buying a used MINI if I do, here are some questions:
1. Is it reasonably ok to expect to find a 08-09 Clubman with decent miles for a good price? Seen one or two on here.
2. RELIABILITY. How are MINIs? Subaru reliability is on par with Honda and Toyota. Is MINI? What are the major problems they would have?
3. Are they easy to work on yourself? I try to do everything I can for my cars myself to save money. Brakes, fluids, timing belt changes...even a headgasket on my first non-turbo Forester. I also love the fact that with the Subaru community, if you need to swap something or fix something you can usually find detailed instructions with pictures on one of the forums.
4. Are non OEM parts readily available (such as at your local parts place)? You know, spark plugs, filters, brakes, other more specific components.
5. I'd ask about aftermarket support, but from a little browsing on this forum today I'd say you're covered.
6. How are the crash test scores? How do they do against larger vehicles (our wife's FJ is 4300lbs)?...
1. I have been recently looking at Clubmen (plural of clubman?) Around $20 for an auto with a few options and under 40k miles is where I have been looking. Xenons are a must...the halogens are crap IMO.
2. Reliability is not honda or toyota but it isn't terrible if you keep the maintenance up. Check with a local dealer and ask them to pull the records via the VIN and get an idea of its condition and level of service in its past. Check to see if the timing chain has been replaced or just the tensioner, or nothing. It is common for the tensioner to relax and allow slack in the chain to the point where the car rattles really bad on a cold start..not to be confused with a direct inject engine ticking the injectors.
3. Fairly easy to work on, but can be quirky (lots of torx bolts), brake bad sensors, soft rotors (pads and rotors at the same time usually)
4. Lots of aftermarket stuff available, some parts store stuff but most stuff like oil filters and oil are better OEM at the near same price. (but aftermarket pads and rotors will not dust as bad and brake just as good or better if decent stuff is purchased)
5. 10/4 we are pretty good for as small of a market share of cars we are. Enthusiasts are the squeaking wheel that gets the aftermarket supportive grease.
6. Very good in crashes. Yes it's small and yes in a medium to bad accident it will be totaled but the occupants will remain intact and safe.