1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering MINI for my daughter for HS graduation

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 05:03 PM
Oscar2012
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordering MINI for my daughter for HS graduation

Hello,

We are getting ready to order a S Hardtop for my daughter as a graduation present.

Trying to decide what options to order, here is what we are thinking about so far:

Auto
Head Front Seats
H&K Sound System
Bluetooth /USB/Ipod Adapter

Thinking about the sport package but my daughter is not a "driver", is it worth it for the traction control? She will be driving the Florida rain.

Any must options??

Are there any packages that would give us this at a better price then ordering them separately?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 07-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heated front seats in Florida?

Old 07-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Bluetooth is standard now for all 2013 MINIs so that won't cost you anything. However, you will still need to order the iPod adapter cable to plug it in to the car.

I think the xenon headlights are worth the extra money, the regular halogens are okay but at night you can really see the difference.

DSC is standard, DTC is optional. If she is just driving her car from point A to point B, I wouldn't get the DTC. DSC will be enough for rain and other weather conditions. DTC is when you want to drive aggressively.

Automatic AC is a nice option as well.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:53 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
I second the vote for Xenons. I'm also a huge fan of my cloth seats. The leatherette is brutal in the heat. Trust me on this, leatherette, skirts/shorts, and the heat do not mix well. Save your daughter the agony and get the cloth! Up until last week, I had lived my entire life in Texas so the heat is something I am very accustomed to.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Good point on the cloth seats. Nothing worse than a sweaty back when driving...

Old 07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
boxter4ever
3rd Gear
hi,please do the xenon just for saftey! thats your little girl!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
Melangell
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cloth seats and Xenons for sure. Lived in Florida so can't quite understand the need for heated seats. If your daughter is not a "driver", then why a Cooper S? I'm not wanting to tell your how to parent but if I had a daughter just out of HS, I would not give her that much horse power!

Old 07-07-2012, 07:20 PM
pdoel
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Melangell
Cloth seats and Xenons for sure. Lived in Florida so can't quite understand the need for heated seats. If your daughter is not a "driver", then why a Cooper S? I'm not wanting to tell your how to parent but if I had a daughter just out of HS, I would not give her that much horse power!
x2. Not to mention, if I'm not mistaken, the base wouldn't require premium. Just another item she could be saving on while in college, not having to go for premium.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:32 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
I'm not wanting to tell your how to parent but if I had a daughter just out of HS, I would not give her that much horse power!
Hey now, don't hate on the youngin's! I can handle the horsepower. However, other MINI drivers showed me how to properly drive a MINI

Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Bilbo-Baggins
6th Gear
Cloth seats and Xenons for sure. .................If your daughter is not a "driver", then why a Cooper S? I'm not wanting to tell your how to parent but if I had a daughter just out of HS, I would not give her that much horse power!
I heartily second this. Way too much power for a rookie driver, male or female. A standard MINI Cooper has all of the handling and fun without the danger of the extra power.

A Cooper S is no car for a recent HS graduate.

I'll second the cloth seats, much cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. The DSC (dynamic stability control) is another must have option. It can do things that even the most experienced driver can not do when it comes to preventing a spin-out on a wet highway. Xenon headlights are fantastic and another must have option.

Not sure I would recommend the "sport" package as it usually includes 17" wheels that just make the ride harsher and tire replacement more expensive. Just select the options a la carte.

Don't bother with the sun roof either. It is huge and there is no way to block light from coming in from the roof, the retractable shades provided are pretty pathetic. Nothing like the excellent ones in an Audi. It will turn your car into a "green house" even on a cloudy day. The amount of heat buildup that you will experience in FL will be unimaginable. Do yourself and your daughter a favor and get a white or silver roof. Great way to reduce the heat. Not that it will completely prevent the interior from getting hot because there is still a lot of glass around the car. Glass tinting would help.

Last edited by Bilbo-Baggins; 07-07-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:45 PM
BportLax
2nd Gear
Justa with xenons.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Rear fog lights fill out the toggle panel and are another safety feature. You might as well get the matching front fogs as well (which are optioned on the Justa Cooper if you listen to the others' advice here, otherwise they're standard). DTC wouldn't be necessary, based on your post.

As for S vs. regular Cooper, I see a perfect solution in getting her a Justa convertible. She might not need a turbo, however I can see her really loving a drop top. Getting a Justa Cooper makes up for the price a bit. Plus think of the gas savings and reliability of the Justa compared to the S. Perfect for FL weather too I would imagine.

I imagine giving a MINI as a gift in general would be tough only because of all the different color combinations and you-ification possibilities. Hopefully you have a good idea what color MINI she would like. Good luck!