1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner concerned with winter driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 PM
Kellyo68
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner concerned with winter driving

Anyone have any advice for winter driving? Are winter tires required or can I get away with all season tires? Can I go from 17" summer tires to 16" winter ones?

Old 07-11-2012, 01:56 PM
lostronin
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What's your location? I live in Boston and run a set of Toyo Observe G-02 (15") winter tires. The MINI runs great in all kinds of snow conditions. A definite improvement over the stock Continental ContiPremium Contact 2's that I run the rest of the year. Depending on where you live, you could potentially get away with all season tires. However, a quality dedicated winter tire will always beat an all season in the snow.

Old 07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've driven my 06 Justa with 16 inch all-season tires in snow up to 7 inches. No problemo ! Well, one time I had problem when there were ruts in the unplowed road and the ridge of frozen snow/ice was higher than the undercarriage of the MINI.

Of course, I'm assuming this isn't the first winter you've spent in a snowy location and have some experience driving in the snow.

If you know how to drive in snow, you and your MINI are well equipped to tackle the snow.

And you can surely switch your 17's with 16s during the winter. That's the set up I've used. Hope you have two sets of wheels though.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:09 PM
lsirois
1st Gear
I have driven many compact cars during Winters in eastern Canada and New England. Winter tires will always outperform 4-season tires. I always get a set of Winter tires on separate rims for all of my vehicles. 16" vs 17" would likely be better since the 17" have such a low profile. A more narrow tire is also preferred (doesn't "float" on snow as much). I have Blizzaks for my 4x4 pick up and they have paid for themselves many times.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:16 AM
Vapok
2nd Gear
Blizzak's...Blizzak's...Blizzak's...Blizzak's...Bl izzak's...

There's no other tire like it. You will not regret them, and they are actually pretty economical.

I have 17 inch rim's, and the Blizzak's that fit my Infinie Stream rim's WORK AMAZING. I also live in the Boston area.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on winter tires, difference between just getting by and being the "master of your domain". :-)

Yes, 16's for snows will be fine, less expensive (usually) and recommended sizes will maintain the overall diameter so that you'll have correct speedo readout etc.

I purposely left the stock 16s on my MCS order so I could use them for winter tires, and will purchase some zoomy 17s with summer tires for next year.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:16 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
my '06 Cooper on snow/ice tires is unstoppable.

Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM
zinvestor
4th Gear
All seasons are marginally acceptable, but as others have said, winter tires rule. I run high performance 215/45 - 17s in the summer and 185/60 - 15s in the winter. They have within 1.5% the same circumference so there is no problem with odometer/speedometer readings. The narrow snow tires tend to cut through slush rather than hydroplaning. The winter tires are Pirelli Winter Carving bought several years ago. They only get about 1500 - 2000 miles per winter. There's a faq over on mini2 about wheel and tire considerations.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:11 PM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
my '06 Cooper on snow/ice tires is unstoppable.

Nice photo

Old 07-12-2012, 05:23 PM
MrCooperS
For tires...Get a set of all seasons and you'll be fine. If you live and commute within the city, you won't go up to the speeds that are required for snow tires. Everybody drives like idiots at the first sight of snow, but then that instinct kicks in where everyone slows down in the city. All seasons are more than enough. When driving in snow, just make sure you drive slow, brake early, don't follow closely and know your limits. Follow the tread path of other cars and don't hit your brakes hard. Always let pedestrians cross first. Take public transportation if you have to. Stay the hell out of highways. Stay away from hills, go around them. Bring a bag of salt & sand with you, a bottle of windshield wiper fluid, a small ice pick and a small metal shovel. If you get stuck in a spot, pick at the ice, throw down some salt & sand, and your good to go. I survived a whole winter with a RX8 (rear wheel drive) WITH all season tires by having the supplies I just listed there.

Last edited by MrCooperS; 07-13-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks!

I still say, if you can afford it, get a set of snows. It's a few hundred bucks, will save wear on your "fun weather" tires, and is very confidence inspiring. Driving in the snow goes from frustration to delight when you're properly equipped. Just mount them on cheap steelies, or battered, curbed OEM wheels you can pick up on craigslist.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:49 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
All I can say is if you prevent 1 accident by having snows, the tires are paid for. Your life and the life of others rides on that small patch of rubber. I do respctfully disagree with Mr Cooper, last thing you ever want to do it get out your car in a storm, you do everything you can not to get stuck, that is when the accidents become deadly. I have investigated more accidents then I care to admit, and seen plently of people killed because there cars were not equipped correctly and then they decided to get out on a snowny highway. Look at tire rack website, they actually show a video of snow tires versus non snow tires, having the ability to stop a few feet shorter can save a life, and your wallet. For the 600 bucks or so for a good set, in my eyes and experience it is not worth the risk. My basement looks like a tire shop, as I have 5 cars, and each car has it own snow tires, I would not let my kids drive in winter with out them.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:05 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
All I can say is if you prevent 1 accident by having snows, the tires are paid for. Your life and the life of others rides on that small patch of rubber. I do respctfully disagree with Mr Cooper, last thing you ever want to do it get out your car in a storm, you do everything you can not to get stuck, that is when the accidents become deadly. I have investigated more accidents then I care to admit, and seen plently of people killed because there cars were not equipped correctly and then they decided to get out on a snowny highway. Look at tire rack website, they actually show a video of snow tires versus non snow tires, having the ability to stop a few feet shorter can save a life, and your wallet. For the 600 bucks or so for a good set, in my eyes and experience it is not worth the risk. My basement looks like a tire shop, as I have 5 cars, and each car has it own snow tires, I would not let my kids drive in winter with out them.
I completely agree with what your'e saying. But you can have the best snow tires in the world and still get into an accident if you're a poor driver. When driving in the snow, experience and skills are greater than the tires them selves.

And I never mentioned getting out of a car in a storm...

Old 07-13-2012, 08:15 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrCooperS

And I never mentioned getting out of a car in a storm...
Not specifically, but you implied it by encouraging the use of an ice pick and salt and sand. Hard to utilize those tools without getting out of the car.

And I respectfully disagree with all season tires in snowy conditions. I tried that route and would easily be unable to even get going on any type of a slight incline. Depending on where you live, avoiding hills by seeking an alternate route will not allow you to travel anywhere. That would only work for me if I stayed in my driveway. A good set of snow tires is a must for these cars in my humble opinion. I have tried it both ways and the difference is like night and day!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:20 AM
MrCooperS
Originally Posted by ACEkraut11
Not specifically, but you implied it by encouraging the use of an ice pick and salt and sand. Hard to utilize those tools without getting out of the car.

And I respectfully disagree with all season tires in snowy conditions. I tried that route and would easily be unable to even get going on any type of a slight incline. Depending on where you live, avoiding hills by seeking an alternate route will not allow you to travel anywhere. That would only work for me if I stayed in my driveway. A good set of snow tires is a must for these cars in my humble opinion. I have tried it both ways and the difference is like night and day!
Perhaps I should be more specific. I meant that as if you're car was stuck in a parking spot after a bad snow storm. I've seen people rock their cars back and forth out of a parking space after some bad ice build up due to splashes from plow trucks, or an inadequate shoveling job which results in snow ditches, or trying to get out of some snow after a storm, but the tires won't pick up traction. Kind of like this...

Nothing a little ice pick and salt wouldn't fix.

But in all seriousness, I've been caught in bad snow storms during work, and after the storms die down, we go outside to see our cars covered. It's good supplies to have in the car if you need to get out of a spot. Sometimes if you don't have traction, even snow tires won't grab, some I personally solved every one of those issues with some salt/sand mix.

I think the biggest night and day difference I've had is summer tires vs snow tires. All-seasons and snow tires aren't that much of a difference to me. Perhaps it's just what I've been conditioned to. Different opinions from different folks.