1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie questions about S Convertibles

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:55 PM
MikeZ50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie questions about S Convertibles

Hi all, I am wearing out the Mini USA site building different iterations of my dream MCS Convertible. I have researched forever on this site and have a few questions I am hoping someone can help with -

1. Is the sports package a good move? I want the xenon lights but am not sure about the 17" wheels. From all I have read about the impact of run flats in combination with 17"'s, I worry about road noise. I do want the look of the 17"s though..

2. How much road noise IS there with the top up? I will be commuting into Manhattan every day (25 miles each way) and don't want to be sorry all winter!

3. Sports suspension - yes or no? I guess it all ties to the ride issue for me

4. HK stereo - worth $750?? I have one in my Mercedes C300 and it is nice...but not sure if it is worth the cost

5. Mini Connected - I really want the NAV/integration because I am so used to it from current and previous cars. How user friendly is the system?

6. Silly question - does automatic climate control really matter? It looks like passing on the premium package and tech package, taking sports and cold weather and then adding Sirius, auto-dimming mirrors, and a few other things will get me what I want for $35,400 or so. I don't need/want comfort access or alarm.

Thanks - I know I have a lot of questions - but my Mercedes lease will be up in February and I fogure I would need to place an order by October??

Old 07-24-2012, 02:21 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
17s are fine, put them on 2 of my MINIs and feel that's the right wheel for them. But swap out the runflats ASAP. They suck.

Some road noise with the top up but it's not so much that you can't talk at a normal tone with your passengers. And when flying solo, crank up the radio and presto, zero road noise.

Auto climate control is a sweet option, IMO. Not a necessity by any stretch but if you have the money for it, order it. Tops my list of convenience options.

Others can chime in on these and your other questions.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM
MikeZ50
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks CR&PW&JB

That's great feedback. Reviews always complain about road noise of the convertible, which I have learned over the years to treat with some skepticism. I hear you about the run flats - I can't stand them. I went from a BMW 330xi with run flats to a Mercedes C300 without and it is a world of difference. I've seen other posts about moving to non-run flat 215/45R17's as being life changing in terms of ride and noise, so knowing myself, I will be ordering from TireRack before I even take delivery. I like the idea of a slightly wider tire anyway....

Funny, but I am so much more excited about FINALLY getting a MCS than I ever was about past BMW's or my current MB. The wife finally relented (it IS my car after all) and is totally on board. I'm a little nervous about having my 2 1/2 year-old daughter ride in the back with the top down - wife thinks she'll love the wind, I don't......

Does anyone know if the 2014 MY will be changed for the hardtops in the U.S.? I've seen some things online that it will be off the BMW 1 Series platform starting in '14 and that the convertible will change in 2015. Supposed to be a bit larger....

Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends how you are going to be driving the car...

If you want to have some fun on backroads on the weekends then I would go with the sport suspension. If you are purely using it for a commuter car and are so worried about road noise and ride comfort, then I would opt out for the suspension and put non-runflats on the car.

A wind deflector is worth the money and that will reduce WIND noise with the top down.

I think auto climate is a nice option as well.

As for the 17s, I'd go with them.

Have you gone for any test drives yet? If not, I highly suggest you do. A MINI's suspension is a different animal than your Mercedes.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM
Gizmo
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In regards to the 2014 MINI, it will be slightly larger but it won't be very noticeable at all.

It is going to be a whole new design, the 3rd Generation MINI.

1st Gen

2nd Gen