1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GREETINGS: New to Mini forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 06:11 AM
Jonack
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GREETINGS: New to Mini forum

I presently drive 2008 135i ... and have been driving BMWs since 2003... Just turned 64; still enjoy the driving experience , upshifting / downshifting, taking sharp corners, etc. In fact, I have never owned a car with an automatic transmission. I love roadsters! My affection goes back to my teens when I encountered the sprite and MGB, my first driving experience. I am looking at the Mini Roadster S. Very appealing ! The roadster would be my only car; therefore, being from central Massachusetts , it would have to deal with snow. I don't think a Boxter or Miata would meet the snow test. I will have lots of questions and will be looking at the Mini Forum threads before pulling the trigger on a deal. I am involved in the BMW forum... Helpful. I have 43000 miles on my 135i, so I believe it has good value. Only considering a change... I would hate to do it and be sorry!
Best ,
JoNack

Old 08-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Psquared
2nd Gear
I'm going into my first winter with a MINI out here in WAAAY Western Mass, so I'll let you know how it turns out! I have a second set of wheels that will have snow tires on them soon, and I have a 4wd Tundra in case the snow is too deep!
This is my first MINI and I don't have any regrets so far. My wife drives it to Albany 4 days a week for work, and we both rip it around town on the weekends. It's fun, handles great, and is averaging almost 33 mpg. Much better than the Ford Escape it replaced.
If you get one, be prepared, they come with a strange (possibly incurable) addiction!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
They do sit kind of high and have at least as much ground clearance as many other small cars, maybe even a tad more. I drove a Fiat Spider around Mass one winter, not a good experience, but it had minimal ground clearance and the worlds worst carburetor. I've had an MGB and very briefly as a kid had an Austin Healey Sprite. I don't think there is anything quite like a classic British roadster.

Don't let you age stop you, you've only got a couple years on me and I have no intention of slowing down anytime soon.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:38 PM
socouper
2nd Gear
My brother in law has had his MINI convertible since 2005 in Northeastern MA. I drove with him through a blizzard about 2 years ago, and it drove on without issue! He does run a set of 4 Bridgestone Blizzaks though, they make all the difference.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
What is this snow you people speak of?