1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am shopping for a Mini

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 12:46 PM
gspec
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am shopping for a Mini

Hello All! New member here in Northern California. I am thinking to buy a Mini Clubman for my wife, but other than knowing what a Mini looks like, I don't know much about it.

My first questions:
1. Does Minis hold their values. If they don't, I would buy use to get a better deal. If they do, we are going for a brand new one.
2. How much people pay relative to MSRP for a new Mini Clubman? 10% off, at MSRP etc?
3. What are other do's and don't's on shopping and owning a mini.
4. Is 2013 model a new first year model? I am trying to stay away from first year model.

Please feel free to chime in with other tips that you think might be useful for a Mini newbie. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
1. Yes, one of the best according to KBB and Edmunds.com
2. Depends on year (2012 or 2013) and on the lot vs. special order
3. Do your homework, read various reviews and lurk around here
4. No

Old 08-30-2012, 03:21 PM
gspec
Neutral
Originally Posted by Retired Rev
1. Yes, one of the best according to KBB and Edmunds.com
2. Depends on year (2012 or 2013) and on the lot vs. special order
3. Do your homework, read various reviews and lurk around here
4. No
1. It looks like I better of buying new.
2. Just in general for normal sales. I.e. excluding end of year clearance or special order.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 03:44 PM
NH_Countryman
4th Gear
Originally Posted by gspec
1. It looks like I better of buying new.
2. Just in general for normal sales. I.e. excluding end of year clearance or special order.
Thanks!
Countryman is the newest model (4 door ) along with coupe & roadster, clubman came out in 2008

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would do some shopping around for a used one. I just picked up a 2010 Clubman S 6 spd with JCW options for $21.5k. Window sticker was at $23.9k If you can find a decent used one with tons of options, you'll end up paying less. If i bought new with all the options i have on it now, i would easily be paying $35k. Just because KBB/Edmunds say they hold their value doesn't mean you're going to get what you've paid for if/when you decide to sell or trade in down the road.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:05 PM
gspec
Neutral
Originally Posted by Day177017
I would do some shopping around for a used one. I just picked up a 2010 Clubman S 6 spd with JCW options for $21.5k. Window sticker was at $23.9k If you can find a decent used one with tons of options, you'll end up paying less. If i bought new with all the options i have on it now, i would easily be paying $35k. Just because KBB/Edmunds say they hold their value doesn't mean you're going to get what you've paid for if/when you decide to sell or trade in down the road.
That's a good point on the options. I think in general, car options, especially the minor ones lose their values pretty quick.
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles did ur car has when you bought it? Thanks.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
Don't mind at all

2010 Clubman S with 25k miles and a 6 year, 100k Maintenance contract already on the car. Options were the JCW Aero Kit, the Wheels, Driving Lights, Premium Package, Power Folding Mirrors, Climate Control, Harman Kardon system, heated front seats, roof rack.

I think i got a great deal on this one. I was doing my research on this board before i got the car and a few were saying they were getting similarly priced Clubmans below asking. KBB.com was pretty spot on for cost of this car used. Just take your time and find one that fits your budget. I was browsing Carmax.com and Cars.com and found this gem sitting at a dealership for a week before i called and pulled the trigger.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:33 PM
gspec
Neutral
Originally Posted by Day177017
Don't mind at all

2010 Clubman S with 25k miles and a 6 year, 100k Maintenance contract already on the car. Options were the JCW Aero Kit, the Wheels, Driving Lights, Premium Package, Power Folding Mirrors, Climate Control, Harman Kardon system, heated front seats, roof rack.

I think i got a great deal on this one. I was doing my research on this board before i got the car and a few were saying they were getting similarly priced Clubmans below asking. KBB.com was pretty spot on for cost of this car used. Just take your time and find one that fits your budget. I was browsing Carmax.com and Cars.com and found this gem sitting at a dealership for a week before i called and pulled the trigger.
One more question, the 21.5k price, is that OTD or before Tax&Lic? Thanks.

I browsed AutoTrader, there are plenty used Clubman sold between 16-22k with mileage ranging from 8k-40k (most are 2009). I assume those prices are usually before TTL correct? I never bought a used car from a dealer before .
Also, when I checked the CARFAX, all of them was sold/bought from an auction after the first owner. Do they usually come off lease? I used to work for a bodyshop, when I heard "Auction" I always associate it with salvaged cars.

Thanks again.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:41 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
$21.5k was before TTL. I also had a 2005 G35 Coupe Trade in that they gave me $13.5k for. I also bought an extended warranty as the Turbo Engines in the S models could potentially have more issues down the road vs a non-S (or "Justa" as in "Just a Cooper", as they like to call them). I intend to keep this car for the long haul, so peace of mind is always good. Warranty was $3200. In the end, i cut a check for $13.2k.

As for auction, that's what they did with my G35. My car was pristine with only 48k miles on it. They send it to auction anyway since they only wanted to sell used Mini's and nothing else. So with that being said, "Auction" doesn't mean salvaged cars. At least not in my case. Also good that you're using CARFAX. Plus since you used to work for a bodyshop, you should know exactly what to look for in cars that have been repaired. So if you are able to see frame damage or body work that has been done, you should know whether to stay away or not. Since i was buying from a Mini Dealer, i felt comfortable enough to trust that they wouldn't sell a salvaged car.

Old 08-30-2012, 04:59 PM
SunnySideUp
3rd Gear
You should shop around for a deal. I wonder if the addition of the Countryman is hurting Clubman sales. So maybe you can get a good deal either on a new or a used one.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:10 PM
BMBULBE
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to study the Clubman's options, and then go look at lots of cars to learn what equipment and colors you really like. I'd also do some surfing and visit some dealers to figure out market pricing so you know a good deal when you see it. Lastly, buy a 6 speed--much more fun and better performance than an automatic.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:16 PM
gspec
Neutral
Thanks you all for the advice. From browsing the internet and your inputs, I have decided to look for a used Clubman first, preferably less than 30k miles. Color and other cosmetic/convenient items are not the primary factors. Nor the engine power. The only thing a must is automatic transmission because my wife prefer it.
No offense guys, if it were up to me I would buy a Subaru or Honda for practicality reason. Don't get me wrong, I would get a Mini w/ Manual tranny as a toy car if I had extra money, but not for everyday driving. And I gotta make wife happy right ?
Thanks again and I really appreciate your inputs.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:42 PM
AYEBOY
2nd Gear
1st post here too. Looking for a MINI for the wife...

Old 09-01-2012, 02:31 PM
mrluckypa
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mini Next is a good way to go but when you look at the price differential you may think twice. When we looked/shopped for our CM, we had to get new. It was what my wife called build a bear. We sat down and worked on our needs and wants. and worked it in to our budgeted amount. I had several must haves. Steptronic (which is geared towards the engines and works unlike any other vehicle I have driven) Sun roof, Cold Weather Package, sport seats (for my back) and since I am in it quite a bit, HK Sound. The sunroof was a want not a need. We are working on our second MINI right now and it is so much fun to build it. Enjoy!!!!!