1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change question

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 09:56 AM
zachtc09
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil change question

I have a 2007 Mini Cooper r56 and I got a flat tire about a week ago so I went and had my tires changed at a local tire kingdom. I went ahead and stuck with the Continentals. I also decided to get my oil changed since it had been quite a while since my last one, probably too long. They used Valvoline Synpower Oil 5W30 which I had seen somewhere was an oil that is approved for use in Minis so I was happy about that. But I went to check my oil change indicator on the tachometer and it still said I needed an oil change. I'm guessing the mechanics didn't know how to reset it on Mini Coopers so I went ahead and reset it myself. It now says I have 25000 miles until my next oil change. Is this good to go by? Should I not have reset it myself? It seems like way too long to wait to change the oil again. I want to take good care of my Mini and hopefully save up some money and start making some modifications soon, minor exterior ones to begin with. I want to have this car for awhile so any special Mini tips too to make sure I'm keeping in good condition?

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm, the 25,000 is extremely high for the OBC to calculate. Does not seem right. You'll get posters responding with recommended oil change intervals of anywhere from about 4,500 miles up to 20,000 miles. You'll need to decide for yourself what makes you comfortable and makes financial sense for you. The main thing I would recommend no matter what interval you choose is be diligent about checking the oil level and not letting it get low.

I'll be interested to hear how you think the Valvoline does. I think you are the first poster I've seen that has it in their MINI.

Old 09-22-2012, 11:25 AM
zachtc09
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Hmmm, the 25,000 is extremely high for the OBC to calculate. Does not seem right. You'll get posters responding with recommended oil change intervals of anywhere from about 4,500 miles up to 20,000 miles. You'll need to decide for yourself what makes you comfortable and makes financial sense for you. The main thing I would recommend no matter what interval you choose is be diligent about checking the oil level and not letting it get low.

I'll be interested to hear how you think the Valvoline does. I think you are the first poster I've seen that has it in their MINI.
How often do you change your oil? And what type of synthetic do you use?