1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me decide... S w/ mods vs JCW CM

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 12:29 PM
DizkoDan
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me decide... S w/ mods vs JCW CM

Hi all,

I'm posting this here rather than in the Countryman forums, because I'd like to get opinions from others on their own S vs JCW decisions. I figure it doesn't make a lot of difference which mini model the comparison is made from as they are all similar in terms of going from S to JCW.

I'm considering getting a new CM. I'll either be getting a loaded all4, or a JCW. I was finally able to price out the JCW the other day, and it comes to a whopping $45k with the options I want. The all4 loaded how I want it is ~$40k (not including the aero kit). I feel like if I got the all4, I'm not gonna be content, and I'll want to mod it with a tune, exhaust, and springs. So that's around $2k, and the obvious concerns of voided warranty if any of those mods cause problems. I'd obviously like to spend the least amount, but at that point, a few grand really wont be the deciding factor.

So let's hear it from the peanut gallery. What swayed you one way or the other in your own decisions? Do you have any regrets with your choice?

Thanks,
-Dan

Old 10-14-2012, 08:46 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We just upgraded from an S to a JCW, I'm wondering why we waited so long. I like the JCW.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:13 PM
NJ Mini
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
For me it came down to total overall cost. I was able to get a great deal and a lot of options on my mcs which included all four of the available option packages, leather seats and rear fogs for less than the base price of the JCW. While I would have loved to have the JCW, it would have meant dropping a lot of the items that my wife and I wanted in the car that we plan on keeping for a while, not to mention more cost and a higher finance rate.

It was a little easier with the R56 MCS since I knew a bit about the JCW and aftermarket support already available, like the difference in brake sizes between the two and cost to upgrade. Not to mention that since both had been tested by various auto magazines, I could see the nominal difference in 0-60 or braking distances. Also, knowing the cost of the JCW tuning kit to add on later helped because I knew there were factory supported options for me should I decide to upgrade later as it wasn't in the cards a few years back when I purchased.

In your case it's a bit different in that I don't know enough about the JCW but given the way that the JCWs usually beef up the engine and drivetrain bits, it may be worthwhile to get it, considering some of the clutch issues that have been had on the CMS'. Also, the bigger brembo brakes would probably do a much better job reigning in a heavier car like the CM and make it a lot more fun to drive fast.

Last edited by NJ Mini; 10-16-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:46 AM
DizkoDan
1st Gear
Thanks for the comments so far. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm any closer to deciding. I think part of the issue is that the JCW CM won't be available for a few months. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing as it gives me more time to save, I would lose the $750 from the not normal event. I think I might check if I can for any other discounts on a 2012 this month before the 2013's start rolling out. If I could save another thousand, that would probably be enough to sway me.

I still welcome any comments.

-Dan

Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 AM
LOVESEXY
1st Gear
Dizko...not sure where you are located, but the dealer here in Dallas on Lemmon told me yesterday that they have one build spot for the JCW CM and can place an order. Maybe you should give them a call to get more details??? My JCW CM went into Priority 1 status yesterday.

I went through the same debate you are going through. I could load up an ALL4 and still come in way under what I will be spending. But for me...I love what the new JCW will have to offer and I know that ultimately I would regret not getting it. As my husband said when I placed the order..."Happy wife...happy life!" :-)

Old 10-17-2012, 02:24 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LOVESEXY
My JCW CM went into Priority 1 status yesterday.
What is Priority 1 status? I've had a deposit down for several months...trying to get my dealer to officially order me one!!!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM
LOVESEXY
1st Gear
When I first placed the order it was Priority 3..then when we finalized it went to Priority 1 and was submitted to go into queue for production.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:34 PM
greatgro
6th Gear
Love sexy - is Royal Grey an available color for the JCW Countryman?

Old 10-17-2012, 02:42 PM
LOVESEXY
1st Gear
Royal Grey Metallic
Absolute Black Metallic
Crystal Silver Metallic
True Blue Metallic
Oxford Green Metallic
Chili Red
Light White