1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and Who To?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 04:23 PM
simpleintel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello and Who To?

My Name is Hewston, I would like to thank anyone and everyone for this forum! Glad to see that there are lots of Mini-Heads everywhere.

I'm loving my R50 with 6sp and extras. Had a few issues just after purchase and looking for a qualified mechanic that will not gouge the pockets.

My main issues, I think, is the clutch. When the engine is on and clutch is not depressed there is a ticking/ clicking. Once depressed, it stops. My dad had the original mini, and expressed that its a bearing in the clutch system that is going out.

Also, the shifting isn't clean, or as clean as it should be. 1st or reverse needs a few pumps to engage and every now and again switching to 3rd likes to grind.

I'm not a mechanic, nor do I like to get greased up, however if I must, I will.

I live in San Jose, California. I was hoping to have the clutch replaced (if needed) or that bearing fixed, whichever is suggested. So I guess I am asking what you think is the best choice and what type/ product of the clutch I should get. Again I just bought the car and hate to have to do major work.

My CV Boot was ripped and had to replace, in doing so the Transmission was drained and new fluid replaced. During this process the gunk/ crud came out and she shifted much better, for about 400 miles.

2004 | R50 | 6 Speed Getrig | (non S)

Old 10-15-2012, 05:17 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the throwout bearing. The fact that its a getrag conversion would probably throw off most mechanics...so if youre mechanically inclined I'd suggest doing work yourself.

Old 10-15-2012, 06:24 PM
simpleintel
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem is...

Problem is, I am inclined but not that adept. If you or anyone knows someone, please inform. Otherwise suggestions like this is accepted.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never done a clutch...but when mine goes I'll be the one to fix it. I can only give information on what ive done...which all ended up being fairly easy...just time consuming.