1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to take delivery; what dealer charges to expect/fight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About to take delivery; what dealer charges to expect/fight?

I'm about to take delivery on my MINI this week (possibly tomorrow).

Can anyone give me a heads-up on the additional dealer charges I might see that I should ask to have removed from the invoice (such as additional delivery charges, advertising fees, etc)?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:31 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealer had a $700 or $750 (can't remember exactly) prep charge added. I got them to remove it, but I was paying sticker because it was a Roadster and in some cases I've heard they are going for more than sticker.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
How did you argue your way out of it?

Old 10-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Denzien
I just told my dealer I wasn't paying anything over our agreed price. We already had a price including taxes and fees that we agreed on before the order was placed. They didn't try to add anything. Finance just gave me a sales sheet broken down into monthly cost for extras and it was yes or no. Absolutely no pressure. Excited your car is almost here. You will love it!

Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
I told them that I wanted to buy the extended maintenance but I wouldn't do it at full price given I was paying sticker plus a prep charge. They removed the prep charge with no argument. BTW, the prep charge wasn't a surprise add-on at delivery. It had been on their original quote.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:58 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
My dealer hasn't given me a final quote. I saw it on his screen, but I haven't had a chance to scrutinize it. Makes me a bit nervous. Also don't have a written guarantee of the financing they say they got me. I don't like that either. Hoping for a smooth experience.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
My dealer hasn't given me a final quote. I saw it on his screen, but I haven't had a chance to scrutinize it. Makes me a bit nervous. Also don't have a written guarantee of the financing they say they got me. I don't like that either. Hoping for a smooth experience.
Regarding financing, I had a good quote from my local bank ( I checked several to get the best quote). Before delivery, I told the dealer to beat it and they did by 1/4%. They knew I would go elsewhere if thery didn't stick with what they had told me. You might want to get some other quotes before you go in so you will know where you stand.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413
Regarding financing, I had a good quote from my local bank ( I checked several to get the best quote). Before delivery, I told the dealer to beat it and they did by 1/4%. They knew I would go elsewhere if thery didn't stick with what they had told me. You might want to get some other quotes before you go in so you will know where you stand.
I was thinking about doing that just in case, but I'm happy with the rate they quoted me. I had financing before walking into MINI a couple of months ago, and MINI blew that rate out of the water (by 2.5%), so I let it expire. I need to refinance my house and apply for a gas card soon, so I don't want too many more inquiries on my credit.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
What about additional destination charges? Doesn't the $700 already added to the vehicle cover transportation to the dealer?

Old 10-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
What about additional destination charges? Doesn't the $700 already added to the vehicle cover transportation to the dealer?
Denizen, to give you an idea of what I paid last Friday for my Highgate...$1450 under MSRP and the only extra fees I paid were paperwork (mandated by Ca law) taxes and license.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Thanks Elfie; now I just have to calculate TT&L so I know exactly what to expect.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:46 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
My dealer had a $700 or $750 (can't remember exactly) prep charge added. I got them to remove it, but I was paying sticker because it was a Roadster and in some cases I've heard they are going for more than sticker.
I checked last night and the $700 was the destination charge. which did not get removed. There was a $500 dealer prep charge. That is what I got them to delete.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:57 AM
aleclee
3rd Gear
Also don't have a written guarantee of the financing they say they got me. I don't like that either. Hoping for a smooth experience.
Did you fill out a credit application at order time? My MA told me that it was the key to securing the rate. He let me know a week or so before delivery that I was approved.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by aleclee
Did you fill out a credit application at order time? My MA told me that it was the key to securing the rate. He let me know a week or so before delivery that I was approved.
I filled out a credit application at the dealer prior to ordering, the rate is supposed to be good long enough to secure the special order vehicle. Capital One's offer would have expired.

I suppose I could always re-finance the car if I find a lower rate elsewhere. That's what I did with my Caliber. Dodge offered a not-so-great rate, and my credit union blew that away, so I refinanced.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
I checked last night and the $700 was the destination charge. which did not get removed. There was a $500 dealer prep charge. That is what I got them to delete.
What does the dealer claim to do to prep these things, anyway? Remove stickers and plastic bags?

Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
What does the dealer claim to do to prep these things, anyway? Remove stickers and plastic bags?
Dealer prep charge - read showroom lube job. My MA said something about having to program the computer... said sometimes when they get the cars in things like windows don't work, etc. So I should be paying for that?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:23 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
Has anyone asked the dealer NOT to plaster their own logo on the back of the car? How did that go?

Old 10-31-2012, 06:28 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Scamp
Has anyone asked the dealer NOT to plaster their own logo on the back of the car? How did that go?
I was thinking of saying, "So...how much are you paying me every month to advertise for your dealership?"

Old 10-31-2012, 06:46 AM
El Kabong
2nd Gear
I haven't taken receipt yet, but my dealer gave me completed buyer's agreement which sould include everything. I'm surprised they didn't give you one when you signed up. Extras include:

- Sales tax - Note, sales tax should only apply to the difference between the price of the new car, and the value of the trade.
- Fuel $75
- New License fee $410 (Less if you elect to transfer plates.)
- Dealers optional fee for processing application, yadda yadda $75

The distination charge ($700) should be included in the price of the car.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:10 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
My MINI dealer doesn't do that. Instead, they provide license plate frames with "Let's Motor" bracketed by the MINI Wings logo on top and their name on the bottom. I don't mind having their name on those. If I get tired of it I can always take them off and change to another frame.

I bought an Eclipse Spyder some years back that already had the dealer decal on the back. I asked them to remove it and when they did, they scratched the paint. They wanted to charge me to have it touched up. Fortunately I had not closed on the deal yet so I told them forget the whole thing if they wouldn't do it for free. They fixed it no charge.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:14 AM
Scamp
2nd Gear
My MINI dealer doesn't do that. Instead, they provide license plate frames with "Let's Motor" bracketed by the MINI Wings logo on top and their name on the bottom. I don't mind having their name on those. If I get tired of it I can always take them off and change to another frame.

I bought an Eclipse Spyder some years back that already had the dealer decal on the back. I asked them to remove it and when they did, they scratched the paint. They wanted to charge me to have it touched up. Fortunately I had not closed on the deal yet so I told them forget the whole thing if they wouldn't do it for free. They fixed it no charge.
Thanks for the Info. I think I will post a note to my MA before my MCS makes it to them requesting that they don't apply a dealer decal.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Luckyelfie
3rd Gear
Luckily Ca dealers don't do that. We advertise the dealers on our license plate frames. I've always hated those decal stickers the dealers slap on. It's interesting seeing what dealers tack on. I've never been asked to pay for the fuel, and that's probably something I would pay for. I looked at our bill of sale from the Jeep last year and no prep fee or fuel fee on that.

I applied for credit online on 9/5 with Mini and it was good till 10/31 with a rate of 3.9. The day my MA called to let me know Audrey was almost at the dealers they told me I qualified for the promo rate of 1.9. I really don't think my dealer was out to screw me...more like get rid of me.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:51 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Wait - I missed the Fuel fee. Is that supposed to be for filling the tank? $45 in gas plus 3 minutes of labor?

Old 10-31-2012, 08:33 AM
El Kabong
2nd Gear
Wait - I missed the Fuel fee. Is that supposed to be for filling the tank? $45 in gas plus 3 minutes of labor?
Yeah well . . . those are NY City prices . . . 13.2 gallons at $5.68 per gallon. THAT'S A BARGAIN!

First time I can ever recall being charged for a full tank. It always seems to be one of those things the dealer tosses in out of good will.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:48 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by El Kabong
Yeah well . . . those are NY City prices . . . 13.2 gallons at $5.68 per gallon. THAT'S A BARGAIN!

First time I can ever recall being charged for a full tank. It always seems to be one of those things the dealer tosses in out of good will.
yeah well...it's not as expensive as the special lawnmower gas Sears tried to sell @$7 per 1/4 gallon a couple of years ago. I can't seem to find it on their website anymore...

Edit: I found it, but only the pre-mixed 2-cycle version...and they dropped their price to $5.50 per 1/4 gallon. Note that it's ethanol free. That should prolong the life of your $80 trimmer by a few years!

Last edited by Denzien; 10-31-2012 at 10:24 AM.

Quick Reply: About to take delivery; what dealer charges to expect/fight?