1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New MINI Owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 04:45 PM
SKiDs35T
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MINI Owner

Hello everyone,

I picked up my 2012 Cooper S a few months ago in Kentucky, but recently moved to Arizona. I joined the local Autocross club and have been having a blast! I've done 1/4 and 1/8 miles in my Challenger, but this is a whole new ball game. I've been running stock for the past few months, and the car has performed admirably (despite the klutz behind the wheel). But now I've decided to see what the car can really do.

I've started with a few simple bolt-ons such as intake, exhaust, strut brace, and rear sway bar. I also have lighter wheels and grippy tires on the way. I'm hoping to get a few more ideas from you guys as I go to unlock the MINI's potential while keeping it street legal.

I've set up my member garage, so feel free to take a look at what I've done so far, and shoot me any suggestions you may have.

Happy Motoring,
Scott

Old 11-05-2012, 07:22 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Welcome.

You should consider camber plates, or coilovers as those will gain you more than anything else. We'll help you out if you need.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Old 11-06-2012, 11:09 AM
MossMINI
Former Vendor
"Blue Meanie" - I love it! Welcome to the NAM forums, Scott. Good to have you and hope you enjoy your time with us. This place is a great resource. BTW the paint on the Challenger is sickening (in a very good way)!

WayMotorWorks has some good suggestions for you, but one thing I don't see listed is brakes. Any interest there in upgrading the pad material? In racing and autocross too, stopping very well is just as important as accelerating. Let me know if you have any questions.

Again, welcome to the forums! Thanks for sharing your cars with us.

Cheers,
Chris

Old 11-06-2012, 12:30 PM
SKiDs35T
Neutral
Thanks for the info!

I was thinking about slotted rotors and a Wilwood or Brembo kit in the future. But pads are something I can definitely do in the meantime. I'll look into the camber plates/coilovers as well.

Some items I've been considering:
Intercooler upgrade.
ECU programmer kit. (Haven't found one for the R56's yet)
M7 has an under strut frame stiffening system I've been curious about.
A rear frame brace might be nice, but its also my daily driver/grocery getter, so I can't spare the trunk space.

Thanks,
Scott

Old 11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful with your mods.

I started AutoX last year. What a blast.

You should check the class rules your car is running under.

Stock means stock and basically you don't do anything under the hood but maybe the air filter element. Wheels and tires are OK as long as you keep to stock sizes.

Change the intercooler, a CAI, ecu program that effects boost on turbo engines or do suspension mods and you get kicked into another class.

I have been running stock but will move to STX as I did a CAI and I have a strut brace. I can change my suspension a bit with shocks and sway bars just don't have $$ for that right now.

Really work on the car and you will get in with very fast tweakers. If you are ready for that rock on!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:47 AM
SKiDs35T
Neutral
Mrhumph,

Autocross is a blast! I've only been to 3 events, and I'm totally hooked. I now look forward to the first weekend of every month when the club meets.

Thanks for the warning. I've been going over the SCCA rules with a friend of mine who has been autocrossing for 20 years, and you are correct. With what I've done to the car so far, I now fall into Street Touring class X (STX). At first I thought I'd be in STF (front wheel) or STC (compact), but apparently a lightly modified Cooper S falls under the same category as the JCW.

I was looking at the PAX factors, and it all makes sense now. In the stock configuration my PAX was .821 (D-Stock class). The STF and STC PAX are actually lower (.794 & .820). STX is a little higher at .822 but not by much. As long as I don't fall into STU (.841) I'll still be competitive.

For my wheels I'm going from 16x6.5" to 17x7". But since that is still one of the factory available sizes I should be fine. The tires I'm looking at have a tread wear rating of 180. Acording to the Street Touring class rules the minimum is 140 so I'm good there as well. The overall diameter of the wheels with tires will only change by about 1/2", and the Offset change is within limits (+ or - 5mm) as well.

I just noticed you are in Vancouver. Do you still fall under SCCA or does Canada have its own ruling body?

Thanks Again,
Scott

Last edited by SKiDs35T; 11-08-2012 at 09:53 AM. Reason: Rule Correction
Old 11-08-2012, 03:42 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Stop by the shop in Tempe sometime Scott and I'll gladly show you what options you have in Wilwood shod brakes if you like.

Good luck with the AX stuff and maybe look into Pro Autosport and NASA up this way if you like some track time.