1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi everybody, new member

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Hakkon
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everybody, new member

Hey NAM,
I joined since I would like to get to know more about MINI Coopers. I want to buy an 05/06 MCS and plan on doing as much research about them as I can before I jump into one. I guess I should post a little bit of car background about myself.

I've always been into cars and have done racing on and off with my best friend for a few years. We've done a lot of autocross and a few track days, along with a fair amount of competitive go-kart racing at race track in Utah, Miller Motor Sports Park (they have a really nice go-kart track here, not the typical indoor warehouse with small looped courses).

I have always been a huge rally fan. My first passion in cars has always been Subaru's Rally Team. Two years ago, after a few years of driving an old Subaru Legacy and a Mazda 3, I finally pulled the trigger and bought a sportier Subaru. I was looking for a nice STI, but was having trouble finding one that wasn't driven into the ground or extremely high mileage. After looking on and off for almost a year beforehand I was able to find a 2006 WRX with 9,000 miles on it. The previous owner never really used the car and it was 100% stock.

In 06 Subaru decided to make the WRX a little closer to the STI, it got a larger 2.5L engine, better transmission, nicer brakes, and a few other changes. After driving it for a few weeks, I got the mod bug and started changing things out that I felt could offer a more performance oriented ride. Two years later, there is very few things left stock on the car. I've always had a function first, form second, mentality and went totally nuts with my car. Built up the engine, built up transmission, changed out all the suspension components, etc. Last time it was dyno'd I believe it was putting down 380 WHP, and almost 400 TQ. I currently run the car in the SM (Street Mod) class in my local SCCA region. I also co-drive occasionally my friends race prepared RX-7, although I'm terrible at driving it.

I've reached the point where my WRX doesn't really make for an effective daily driver and my desire is to build it into more of a weekend warrior car. I love taking it out in the mountains or going on a relaxing cruise, but it's really getting difficult to enjoy it in stop and go traffic on the way to work. Plus with the intention of adding a roll cage this year, it's not going to be a practical people mover anymore, and I don't feel like a caged car should really be driven every day on the road from a safety standpoint. I don't want to get all kitted up in a Hans Device to get milk from the store.

Outside of Subaru's I've always wanted a Mini Cooper. I'd really like to find a decent quality MCS and turn that into my Daily Driver. I keep telling everyone that I want to leave it stock, but any car enthusiast knows that that is a lie. I've really enjoyed participating in the Subaru Community, and I'd like to carry that over to the Mini Cooper community also.

5 brownie points if you managed to read through my wall of text.

Cliff Notes: I like fun cars, I want to find a 05/06 MCS and get more involved in the Mini Community. I feel like Mini Coopers are cars that like to be driven with passion and enthusiasm.

Not so current picture of my car:

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome! Have you driven one yet? You'll love it. If you can find a JCW in your price range, you'll love that even more.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 12-13-2012, 03:35 PM
Hakkon
Neutral
A bit of a bump from the past, but I finally picked up a MCS today. I went with an 04 that I found locally in very nice condition. The previous owners were sad to see it go.

I can't wait to get out and put some miles on my Mini. I've already found myself today offering to drive some co-workers around a few times or making excuses to get in it and drive. So much fun!

Old 12-13-2012, 06:29 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Hey there! Great color, enjoy it in good health!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Very nice!