1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 2013 ALL4 LW/B

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 AM
WizCraker
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2013 ALL4 LW/B

I order my Mini Nov 3, 2012 at 13:44:23 over the phone with the dealership. A week earlier I drove 4 hours up to the Albuquerque dealership to test drive the Countryman and the Coupe (again originally tested in Plano). The Countryman actually met 100% of my original criteria. I came back home that night and told everyone I found my car. Out of all the cars I've tested it was the ALL4 that felt the best. However the saga began that last week as I tried to convince myself not to get the Mini.

So the story beings...

I wasn't really in the market for a new car but my previous met a devastating end when some idiot slammed on their brakes on the highway and I slid right into them at ≈ 47 Mph. The date was July 27, 2012. I tried to avoid hitting them and ended up clipping the back right side of their equinox with the front left side of mine. It doesn't look like much from the photo but the investigator valued the damage to be around $7500 - 9500. I am actually surprised I didn't get hurt or it didn't look worst. The Del Sol isn't known for its survivability when in a wreck.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustindamour/7511371092/by Dustin D'Amour, on Flickr

After testing a lot of different vehicles my short list was down to 15 which included both AWD, FWD, and RWD. After testing the Countryman and going back to my original criteria I shortened the list down even farther to just 5. In that list was the EVO GSR and MR, the WRX and STI, and the Countryman ALL4. Each in a class of their own. The EVO was awesome to drive and it beat out the STI from my drive tests however with the added options I wanted it was just way too expensive $42K (GSR) and $45K (MR). The next down the list was the STI which was $5500 ($39K) cheaper but the ride quality wasn't as good as either the EVO or the Countryman. Which is kind of funny since I remember telling the sales person at Mini that at being $16K cheaper the ride quality was just as good or better than the EVO and just as fun to drive. So my list got shorter with just 2 the WRX and the ALL4. I was actually trying to convince myself not to get the Mini. A 2013 WRX was being delivered that was fully loaded and the color I wanted to a dealership in Colorado on November 10th, and the price was just right at $31,200. What prompted me on this get it right now WRX? My loaner which is a 93' Cadillac DeVille from my grandparents was having problems. At two weeks before the tread ripped off of the front tire (close call from death). On my way back from the Mini dealership in Albuquerque to where I live I had to feel up the radiator at least 6 times with 2 of those times within 20 miles of home. I tried to convince myself that I could have a car right now instead of waiting for a Mini, and I wouldn't have to bother with the leaking DeVille.

In the end though I chose the ALL4. After all said and done this is the vehicle I originally wanted. I kept coming back to it and configuring the 2012 model to death on the Mini USA site. I was willing to hold out for a 2013 model and my grandparents even replaced the radiator on the DeVille. Everything worked out.

So, 16 days 12 hours 40 minutes 27 seconds ago I ordered my ALL4. I now know it is in production even though I cannot get access to the online torture device known as the "Owners Lounge" as it keeps saying I'm too quick on the draw. The automated voice on the other side of the telephone says that it will ship on November 27th. I told myself I wouldn't turn into a obsessed Mini owner, but I think that is the entire point of knowing the production number and being able to somewhat track it. To turn us into fanatics for the Mini even before it arrives. Now I understand why people would spend $52,000 on the Goodwood, which I was able to admire at the Albuquerque dealership. As once you get bitten, you become part of a community that is unlike any other.

I added some text to give me a nice desktop wall paper of my ALL4 so I can stare while I wait. I haven't named her yet but this is what she should resemble:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dustindamour/8154228552/ by Dustin D'Amour, on Flickr

Old 11-24-2012, 01:40 PM
KMPSSBL
4th Gear
How exciting! Can't wait to see the real deal. And don't worry, you'll find a name soon after you drive her I named Indi the day after I brought her home. She's peppy and handles like an Indy car (well, I like to think she does hehe), plus it's her color name (Indi Blue), so it's easy to remember (and easier for people to get lol). Congrats on the ALL4!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:12 PM
WizCraker
Neutral
I was thinking of the names Illyria, Winter, or IkaFx. Illyria is from the Buffy and Angel universe. And Winter is just because I like that season. IkaFx is a name I created a few years ago that used the reverse of the first name of Aki Ross and merged with Fx for visual effects. I used it in online gaming mostly with Unreal Tournament.

As of today; Monday December 9, 2012 my ALL4 has been sitting at the port waiting for a vessel since last Tuesday.

Last edited by WizCraker; 12-10-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: correcting misspelled words.