1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hello and a couple questions.... of course

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 08:34 AM
mastershake
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello and a couple questions.... of course

Hey All. New to the forum but I've been checking it out for a while now. I'm looking into buying an 08/09 MCS. Want something under 40k and it has to be a stick. I'm a bit of a modder and will definitely be swapping the intake and exhaust in time. I'm looking for some advice on the car itself. I've heard some horror stories about the clutch which has me nervous, seems like a pretty expensive repair on the mini. I'm not the burnout at every stop light type of dude, but I like to have some fun occasionally. I'm wondering how much of a concern this is for the majority of people with the same year MCS. I am aware of the timing chain tensioner & the carbon issues, I can do some things with a wrench so I'm not too concerned there. I will also check with the dealer on the fuel pump.

So for the Mini itself, I'm coming from an 06 miata. LOVE my car and the only reason I'm getting rid of it is because I moved from Arizona to the arctic hell hole known as the northeast. I've dealt with it for 3 years now. But coming home from work in the snow last week, I spun it out and had to call the wife's family to pick me up. Sitting in my car, waiting to get creamed as cars slid by me on a hill I couldn't get up, I started thinking this is getting old... So I did some research. I think the Mini is about as much fun as I could have with FWD in the price range and while staying economical on gas. I could go with a Prius for reliability & gas (wife's suggestion) but I explained if I drove one of those for a week she would find me hanging in the basement. I have beat the crap out of my miata for 95k miles with no issues, had many good times and I'm going to miss my fan club of 17 year old girls (yes, I know I'm married) but it's time for a change. Wondering if anyone else went from a miata to mini and how happy they are with the decision.

Any advice you could give me would be appreciated. Going to test drive one for the first time sunday.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:50 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You could have just gotten winter tires for the miata, they make a world of difference. I have a Z3 and a Mini and can't be happier with both of them. The power of the S will be much different from your miata. Also don't discount the "Cooper" (without S) as you may find it a willing powerplant.

Best of luck!