1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Greenest Horn ever, need help w tire advise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 AM
Alena
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greenest Horn ever, need help w tire advise

I just ordered my first Mini Hardtop and am SUPER excited.

MC sport package, 16"

I still can make last minute changes in my order and am wondering, if I should get the summer tires or all-weather tires...
the 15" wheels are non-run-flats, if I understand right, but i didn't like the ride and went for the 16"... But now I'm reading that run-flats contribute to rough ride a lot and many people suggest replacing them with non-run-flats. But that means changing the wheels as well?

I am SO GREEN in this, is changing wheels a big deal? Expensive? What are my options here?

Thanks a lot

Old 11-29-2012, 12:23 AM
Alena
1st Gear
Another thing to consider, if I add the sport suspension, which would give even rougher ride but better handling, and then change the run-flats to non-run-flats -- would that be optimal?
Still wondering what it might cost to replace the run-flats...........

Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Hi and welcome. I opted for 16" wheels and to NOT get the sport suspension on my new MINI. Depending on road conditions where you are, the ride may be too harsh for DDing.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 AM
jhull413
4th Gear
Several things to think about here. First of all, it sounds like you are thinking that if you order all season tires they will not be run flats. That is not the case, the 16" all seasons will be run flats too. IMO the sport suspension is not necessary unless you are planning to do serious autocrosssing or track time. RFTs do ride rougher but you can alleviate that somewhat by lowering the tire pressure slightly. The recommended pressure for my Roadster is 38 psi regardless of speed. I run them at 36.5 psi (have a digital tire gauge that reads in .5 psi increments) and that helps with the harshness some.

When I ordered my Roadster, I intended to get all seasons but for some strange reason, the system would not let my dealer select all seasons on the black twin star wheels I selected (it's crazy because you could select them on the very same wheel in silver color). I really wanted the black wheels so I opted to go with the summer tires which ended up being Bridgestone Turanza ER 300-02 RFTs. My plan was to run these until they wore out and replace them with all seasons. After driving ther car a bit, I fell in love with the stickiness of the summer tires and decided to get a second set of winter tires mounted on spare wheels. I got ASA AR1 wheels mounted with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT performance winter tires from Tire Rack. When the summer tires wear out I will probably replace them with non-RFTs and get a tire repair kit with pump. I will keep the RFTs for winter because I don't want to have to repair a flat in winter weather and my winter tires don't seem to be as harsh as the summer.

Long answer I know, but I hope this helps you make a decision.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:59 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alena,

You do not have to change the wheels - just buy new tires and have them installed.

I'd recommend you actually spend some time driving with the tires that come on the MINI before making the switch to non-RFT. Ride harshness is very subjective.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:11 AM
dabeamer
1st Gear
I bought my first MINI last fall, a 2006 S ragtop. Came with 17" run flats, and I bought a set of 16" run flat winter tires and wheels - we get snow here in Wisconsin. Last advice is good - wait to see how you like the tires you get. Is it a rougher ride? Maybe - but like anything you get used to it and will LOVE your car. If you will be driving in snow, I strongly suggest snow tires. My MINI handles better than my rear wheel drive Mustang ever did in snow.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Alena
1st Gear
Thank you ALL SO MUCH!
this really does help. I will confirm my order to the dealer today. SO EXCITED!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:30 PM
Alena
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jhull413
Several things to think about here. First of all, it sounds like you are thinking that if you order all season tires they will not be run flats. That is not the case, the 16" all seasons will be run flats too. IMO the sport suspension is not necessary unless you are planning to do serious autocrosssing or track time. RFTs do ride rougher but you can alleviate that somewhat by lowering the tire pressure slightly. The recommended pressure for my Roadster is 38 psi regardless of speed. I run them at 36.5 psi (have a digital tire gauge that reads in .5 psi increments) and that helps with the harshness some.

When I ordered my Roadster, I intended to get all seasons but for some strange reason, the system would not let my dealer select all seasons on the black twin star wheels I selected (it's crazy because you could select them on the very same wheel in silver color). I really wanted the black wheels so I opted to go with the summer tires which ended up being Bridgestone Turanza ER 300-02 RFTs. My plan was to run these until they wore out and replace them with all seasons. After driving ther car a bit, I fell in love with the stickiness of the summer tires and decided to get a second set of winter tires mounted on spare wheels. I got ASA AR1 wheels mounted with Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 RFT performance winter tires from Tire Rack. When the summer tires wear out I will probably replace them with non-RFTs and get a tire repair kit with pump. I will keep the RFTs for winter because I don't want to have to repair a flat in winter weather and my winter tires don't seem to be as harsh as the summer.

Long answer I know, but I hope this helps you make a decision.
thank you so much! Very useful, especially the tire pressure trick!

Old 11-29-2012, 01:31 PM
Alena
1st Gear
Originally Posted by dabeamer
I bought my first MINI last fall, a 2006 S ragtop. Came with 17" run flats, and I bought a set of 16" run flat winter tires and wheels - we get snow here in Wisconsin. Last advice is good - wait to see how you like the tires you get. Is it a rougher ride? Maybe - but like anything you get used to it and will LOVE your car. If you will be driving in snow, I strongly suggest snow tires. My MINI handles better than my rear wheel drive Mustang ever did in snow.
great advise, thank you! I will chill and see how I like the ride

Old 11-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Alena
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
Alena,

You do not have to change the wheels - just buy new tires and have them installed.

I'd recommend you actually spend some time driving with the tires that come on the MINI before making the switch to non-RFT. Ride harshness is very subjective.
Thank you JC! you took a load off with the knowledge I don't have to buy new wheels... and I will wait until I know how I like the ride