1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

25 years ago...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 PM
Milkybar
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
25 years ago...

I bought my first Mini at an auction for £100. After the failed MOT, mostly due to subframe rot, I quickly removed the skin from my knuckles and the pound coins from the piggy bank to get her up to par. With a respray and swapping out the 1000cc for a 1275cc I had myself a rocket. Although to eager to test out the new power I forgot to bleed the brakes and nearly ran over a copper to boot.
It would have been smart to upgrade the drums to all round to discs, but smarts had never been my forte. After many a new set of front tyres, and a close call with a petrol station I learned that my binary approach to accelerating and braking might not be the best approach to driving on public roads.
A year later the itch to see something more of the world took hold after a session at the local, one week later I was on my way to the U.S. of A.

The Mini was left at the railway station for my cousin to pick up, which he never did. In the last 25years I've traveled a fair bit and settled in upstate NY. A local mechanic has a mischief of Minis [Can somebody update the Book of Saint Albans to include cars?] that I admire and reminisce over, and always thought like the proverbial thief I would return to the scene.

Well I have, and what a joy. Let this old fart tell you that the driving experience, feel, and pleasure of the 2nd gen echoes off every corner of roads traveled before.
I find myself looking for excuses to drive somewhere, anywhere. The first night of ownership I took a drive just for the sake of driving.

And now I need your help, your experience, and your knowledge.
EMM [Everlasting Mighty Mini] needs some attention. First the rear taillights have rust. Hopefully that's the end of the major work. The only plans are to keeps her as tidy as possible, and maybe a silver Union Jack for the roof.

Look forward to hearing your stories and sharing a pint.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM
Mazza
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't help you at all, I'm afraid. My Mini hasn't arrived yet, so I'm not an official owner. Loved reading your post, though. Reminded me of some of the appalling cars I have owned that failed their MOTs. Had a Passat that failed its MOT miserably the day before my husband and my wedding. Had to take it to a scrap yard up the road from the testing site, where they offered us £25 for it. My boyfriend/now husband said, "The radio's worth more than that!", trying to get more cash for the next day. "Well, take it out then!" they said. Sadly, we didn't get any more cash for the wedding...

We ended up in CA where it doesn't rain much — so no rust problems here. I can't help you with that either. Sorry. But I had to respond to your post because my husband loves Milky Bars.

Oh, the Milky Bar Kid is strong and tough...

Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Milkybar
1st Gear
I can hear the Northen accent in the typing. I'm a Yorkshire lad myself.
Tip me cloth cap to you

Old 12-08-2012, 10:33 PM
Mazza
1st Gear
Unfortunately, the furthest north I ever lived was Birmingham, which doesn't count. Which 2nd gen did you buy? We've got a Countryman All4 on its merry way to us. Black with a white roof and sunroof. (It'll look like a panda car!). I'm going to have a black jack put on the roof. I'm going to be Ria Parkinson 2.0 when I'm driving it. I loved her car!

Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 PM
Milkybar
1st Gear
I forgot I still read aloud so everything sounds Northen
2002 Cooper S: Don't know how it compares to the stock car, but there's been a couple of engine mods and its a neck snapper.
I'm looking for a Silver Union Jack for my roof.
Don't remember the car and I needed Google to remind me of Butterflies.
Mum had a Clubman, green with wood trim. She loved that car until I spilled my maggot box inside.

Old 12-10-2012, 12:17 AM
liulugoommohome
Neutral
Thank you very much for the posts! : ) I really appreciate it.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:49 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Welcome to the forums! I had read on here that the 1st gen MINIs have some rust problems at the rear and also under the rubber weatherstripping in the doors. People have repaired them with success. Best of luck!

Old 12-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Milkybar;3638775]I bought my first Mini at an auction for £100.

So nice that you are enjoying your MINI. No useful words of wisdom here but I'll think of your offer, while enjoying a little nip.