1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New mini owner !

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 06:56 AM
LindsayJWood
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New mini owner !

Hello my name is Lindsay. I recently purchased an 08 Mini Cooper S! I love everything about it except the fact that I can't drive it. I always wanted a mini and was adement about having a manual for my first car. My dad has taken me out to teach me a couple of times now but each time I leave frustrated. I stalled out a lot and began to smell the clutch. And of course I freaked out and thought I broke the car so took it back to mini of mt laurel to make sure it was okay. Turns out its fine! But I am hesitant to get back in. I'm debating wether or not to get lessons from a driving school(so I don't kill my mini). Is it worth it ? Also, any tips for a new owner ? Look forward to meeting other owners and learning a lot about these cars ! Thanks !

Old 12-16-2012, 07:25 AM
amancuso
5th Gear
Hi Lindsay and welcome! South Jersey owner here as well. Don't worry about driving a manual, you will get it in short time. Just be confident! For me, while I was learning, the hardest part was going from a stand still to 1st. I chose an automatic MINI, because I guess I'm one of those people who prefer it, but manual isn't a chore at all. Good luck and keep trying!

Old 12-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Deli
6th Gear
I purchased my first car years ago while in college...a 72 FIAT 128 sedan, with manual transmission. I think I stalled out about a dozen times on a five-block drive.

I went inside and placed a call to a driving school. "I want one lesson on a manual transmission, and I want it to be in my car--not the instructor's."

It was the best thing I ever did. After driving an automatic for about five years I not only learned from a pro, but received some good tips to correct some bad habits I had unknowingly developed during those five years.

Good luck, and welcome to NAM.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM
fastzombie
4th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi Lindsay and welcome!

Deli's advice is great. Contact a local driving instructor to provide you with a lesson in your car is super advice. It will be the best money you will spend towards the care and enjoyment of your Mini.

Don't give up, because once you get the hang of it you will never want to drive an automatic again. If you haven't done it yet I would recommend taking your Mini to a nice flat open parking lot and learning how the gas and clutch work together. Once you get the hang of the engine's exhaust note and clutch as it engages with 1st gear you will be in great shape. The rest of the gear changes will become much easier.

I wish you all the best as you learn to fully enjoy your Mini!

Matt